Travel COACH – EUROPE 1 ptxt files

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Whizz, Jul 10, 2008.

Jul 10, 2008
  1. Whizz
    OP

Member Whizz When things don't go right, go left.

Netherlands
    EDIT:

Problem seems to occur when repacking, and it's not related to the ptxt files at all.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have not hacked the game myself but two things are possible.

When you say garbled are there random symbols/characters not like the ones you put in or are they just shifted around like:
    http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=char2al0.jpg

If it is the latter then the chances are the pointers are not correct. Pointers post if you needed it:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Second to this is character limits. Often games will only allow 60 characters per line and will do odd things (scatter files across lines, post on top the other characters, crash....)

If the characters are garbled then your have the encoding wrong. Often this is something trivial like starting the characters at a point that is not 16bit aligned (or that they are 16 bit aligned and the game does not want/expect this; hex editors are notorious for aligning unicode while games just use a single FF or something to mark the end of the line, workaround in that case is use ASCII and just skip every other character (which will likely be a 00) or get a better editor). To test, get the original file and just change two or three characters (if you come the end of the sentence/section stop) in whatever way you like. If it works then it is likely pointers that are your problem. If it does not then it is likely the encoding is wrong

3. Whizz
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks for your reply. Something seems to go wrong with either the unpacking or the repacking. I took the rom, unpacked it, repacked it and I had the same result as before. Original works fine.

[​IMG]

Is there some way to get past this problem?

4. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    i guess you'll have some extra work.

most likely it uses exact locations within the nds file, and since repacking removes some empty spaces files get a different location.
    to fix it you'd either need to be able to change the location where it takes it's data from, or you'd need to apply any changes directly into the NDS using a hex editor.

5. Whizz
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks for the reply.

I tried editting the rom, same result. However when I tried a trimmed version I was able to change some letters. When I try to edit whole lines I run into the pointer problem Fast mentioned. I just read the info and it seems to be a bit more difficult than I first expected...

the ptxt files I mentioned earlier start with:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!