Translator

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Takanato, Aug 31, 2009.

Aug 31, 2009

Translator by Takanato at 1:06 AM (9,047 Views / 0 Likes) 58 replies

1. Takanato
    OP

Member Takanato GBAtemp Fan

Jamaica
    Good day everyone, I would like to announce that I am now available to translate scripts and any other parts in a game that is needed to translate. So if anyone whos working on translating a japanese game to an English one you can hit me up by my email, herculesonly@hotmail.com. Don't worry I won't charge you lol, I just want to help to translate games much faster. I can speak English of course, its my native tongue; I can now speak Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish and French. I also know a little german.

2. Takanato
    OP

Jamaica
    I am also looking for script editors and the best rom hacking tools available so I can start translating on my own.

3. flyingpenguin

Newcomer flyingpenguin Advanced Member

United States
    Thats pretty cool. I only speak two languages [​IMG]

4. CJX

Newcomer CJX Member

Ecuador
    thats awsome man, check out the super robot taisen tread in this same page, ShinRyouma who translate most of the game "super robot taisen k", will soon start a new project to translate the new game of the super robot wars franchise which is called "super robot gakuen", you should stop there and say hi, and tell ShinRyouma that you are interested on helping on this project, he will gladly accept your help

5. miss_DSlite

Member miss_DSlite GBAtemp Regular

United States
  6. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    There are some projects out there, join into one of them, and request to become a translator.

Great work learning all those languages ! [​IMG]

7. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
  8. Takanato
    OP

Jamaica
    I just got a project to do, Summon Nights 1 so when I am finished with this one, I will help to translate Tales of Hearts. This summon nights translating will take no less than a week for me:), thats how fast I will work to see that it gets fully translated!.

9. Nekrosses

Member Nekrosses GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    You Can do HG/SS When it comes out! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Translations are great and I would never say otherwise; what might be interesting (and very quick) is a cleanup of some games for while the English translation is usually passable the other languages are less so (ask any of the French speaking Canadians).
    If you want some help hacking for that I am up for it, it need not be English either.

11. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    They'll certainly be released in English eventually. I would much prefer it if the translators concentrated on games that will never be released in the west.

12. Takanato
    OP

Jamaica
    I've always wanted to start a team up to translate Zoids DS because Zoids is an all time fav of mine thanks to the Zoids on GBA which I completed 3 times lol [​IMG]

13. CJX

Newcomer CJX Member

Ecuador
    If you like, there is Zoid that appears in Super Robot Taisen project.
    Then one i was talking about in the previus post.

14. azerty1

Member azerty1 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    translating super robot taisen is not going to be easy. i flipped through the first one's rom and if the second one's anything like it, no amateur hacking their first rom is going to be able to do it.
    i'll take a look at Zoids Saga DS and see if I can learn something from it/figure it out.
    I've been itching to contribute to a project...

15. azerty1

Canada
    if this is a dialogue, then i found the text. the graphics in the game all seem to be compressed with the LZ77 algorithm...apparently it's commonly used in DS games. luckily for me, they were all labelled quite blatantly so a quick wikipedia worked things out. i'll try to reverse engineer the text and stuff now and then, if necessary, write up some code for an extractor.

[​IMG]

update: scratch that. it's not the first text of the game, at least, in fact, i have no clue what it is. the first text of the game is LZ compressed in the eventbin folder with what seems like the rest of the script too.

16. -Demon-

Newcomer -Demon- Member

Italy
    inazuma eleven.

If you do this, you'll be my hero the rest of my life.

17. azerty1

Canada
    how do you delete posts?

18. azerty1

Canada
    sorry for posting all this on your thread and not making my own topic...i'm not going official with anything yet seeing as my japanese is limited to kanji, and even then, just the ones that look like simplified chinese...

so...i finisehd reverse engineering Zoids Saga DS, and it's actually a heckuva lot simpler than oni zero, interestingly enough.
    To make a textbox, all you need to do is 20 (one byte for the picture) 1f01 (name of the guy)0A, then away you go with your textbox. there are random operating codes all over the text, which i can ignore on the extractor, but may get tricky with the inserter. the catch is that it goes by textbox. you have to recreate your textbox every time you need one even if it's the same person talking...which isn't good because that means one textbox takes up a lot of room.
    oh yeah, here's proof, which you'll just have to trust me on not having photoshopped.
    [​IMG]

so...Takanoto, if you want to translate this game, PM me or reply on this topic and I'll go ahead and write up the extractor and inserter. you'll probably need to find someone else to do all the graphics and stuff since i'm colour blind and am useless in that department. if not, then i'm off to playing with other games and waiting for my services to be needed...

oh, and one more thing for other, more experienced romhackers. Is it possible to bump over a lot of bytes for the sake of making room for more text or is expanding the rom size going to mess up the pointers of everything else? in other words, am i allowed to make more room or are translators doomed to trying to fit everything in byte for byte?

19. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Uh, did you extract the files from the game first before editing? The DS has its own filesystem, so you shouldn't have to do any manual expansion.

20. azerty1

Canada
    well, in that screenshot, all i did was extract the file with nitroexplorer, decompress it with Nintenlord's LZ decompressor, open the file up in windhex, replace random text with random text to experiment, recompress it and pop it back in.
    what i meant was that since there are lots and lots of empty bytes all over the place, is it possible to move part of the data down into those to make more room for new textboxes.