Translation?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by playallday, Aug 27, 2008.

Aug 27, 2008

Translation? by playallday at 6:47 PM (2,559 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. playallday
    OP

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I want to try doing a translation but once I find a file in Japanese how read it (in Japanese [​IMG] )? Then I'd translate it (which I know how to do).

P.S. I want to translate it with Google.

2. Zenith94

Member Zenith94 1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz

United States
    translate pokemon platinum when it comes out in japan or tales of innocence

3. flamesmaster

Member flamesmaster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You need to get a japanese text reading plugin or download a japanese text reader.

4. playallday
    OP

Canada
    Know of any?

5. boojumz

Member boojumz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    NJStar.

you need NJStar Japanese Word Processor and NJStar CJK Viewer

The former is, obviously, a word processor to type in and the Viewer, if you set it to Japanese Auto detect, will automatically detect any japanese that shsows up on your computer as long as it's in sjis or eucjis encoding.

google them and you should find the NJstar website where you can get them for free.

6. flamesmaster

Member flamesmaster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've been trying to hack roms lately with windhex, just change a few words here or there my tables always seem 2 screw up, maybe those programs will help. Thanks

7. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Pffff do you even know how hard is it to translate a game?
    Especially pokemon platinum.

8. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    what do you mean by read? if you can't read japanese as in reading a book, then you can't read it. (well, common sense)
    but as in computerwise, i still don't know what you are talking about.
    being able to read it? like loading it on windhex with a shift-jis table, so you can view the japanese on it?
    So you know how to translate it but you can't read it? translate as in rom hacking or translate as in a translation guide?
    because as I see you don't know how to "read it", you probably don't know how to change the text into english... and if your game doesn't support single byte ascii, you have to depend on abbreviations which are not that good.

9. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    You better back off, really. Translating Japanese isn't THAT easy. You can't read Japanese, so if something is wrong you can't fix it, find other people to help you translate

10. playallday
    OP

Canada
    I was going to Google Translate then redo all the text into something that's a bit more readably.

11. chocomog257

Newcomer chocomog257 Member

Japan
    It's no use translating Japanese games without adequate knowledge of the language and using Google Translate. It's easy to see why; the system is completely different from English, German, or any of the Romance languages (like French or Spanish).
    In addition Japanese also includes a lot of expressions with variable degrees of nuance (or emotions) that is partially lost when translated into English, even when you can understand more or less of it.

12. playallday
    OP

Canada
    See?!? Was that good???

13. Raestloz

Indonesia
    The problem being Japanese is a complicated languange. The grammar isn't that easy to be coded unlike English. I tried to use Babelfish and it turned out bad, real bad. Technically the meaning is the same, here's what I did:

As you can see, online Translation isn't that accurate. Sure, Revolution means rotation, and rotation can mean roll, but if you don't know the actual definition (what the word was defined by the author) you might will never thought that revolution means roll, will you?

Anyway, if you insist, then why not? Maybe you'll end up successful, unlike me

Edit: I can see the Wii news are translated, but most of the site is still Japanese, And somehow Fa-i-a. E-mu-bu-re-mu (Fire Emblem) is translated Fire Dragon new dark and light sword. Pretty good, but "emblem" is nowhere near the meaning of "dragon"

think carefully. Or you might end up humiliated, like me with that quote.

14. boojumz

Member boojumz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    well, actually, if you know chinese (or Korean?), the grammar is more or less the same, so if you use just a normal dictionary and go word by word, you can actually turn out pretty accurate translations.

15. playallday
    OP

Canada
    I don't know what your doing but for me it says (using babel Fish) "Your word [tsu] it is not necessary to know!" which is the same as zip it.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read what you said.

16. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    I think Japanese and korean are alike. Something about where the words are placed is the same (My japanese friend told me this because he was planning to learn korean).

17. Raestloz

Indonesia
    That's OK, but translation is a hard job, many wil admire you for it. Nobody here who play Soma Bringer doesn't know who is DarthNemesis. Also, considering that there's [tsu] inside that Babelfish translation, you might end up thinking over what that [tsu] means. Almost Japanese characters doesn't have a meaning by it's own (although some do, like Nin for example, means person/sneaking). Losing even just one might screw up it's entire meaning.

I'm not discouraging you, I'm telling you because I already tried using your method, and ended up in failure, I just don't want you to fail the same way I did

18. chocomog257

Newcomer chocomog257 Member

Japan
    Yes, anyone with Korean or Korean language background can learn Japanese with much more ease than others. The grammatical structure is similar (S-O-V), vocabulary of Chinese origin is abundant and both languages has a rather complex system of honorifics. Chinese only shares a large portion of vocabulary (mostly technical and academic terms) with Japanese, but the grammar and words of everyday use is a completely different story.
    If you want to translate the Babelfish way, OK but never underestimates a language's difficulty.

19. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    That's not a translation. You'd almost be better off just putting random English words in instead.

Korean and Japanese grammar are pretty similar (as far as I know - I was told this by my Japanese anthropology professor who's specialization is Zainchi Koreans - in a class I was taking). Korean to Japanese is not difficult. There's a lot of nuance, but it's much easier than Japanese to Chinese or English to Japanese (or vice versa). Chinese and Japanese grammar are totally different.

As a side note, since the word order is the same (and you can drop subjects) it also means most of the Indian languages and Korean/Japanese aren't too difficult.

20. javad

Member javad GBAtemp Regular

Malta
    Soooo which game you will you translate