Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I want to try doing a translation but once I find a file in Japanese how read it (in Japanese
rolleyes.gif
)? Then I'd translate it (which I know how to do).

P.S. I want to translate it with Google.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ZenithMaur said:
translate pokemon platinum when it comes out in japan or tales of innocence
No, no, no! I want to know how to the read the text in Japanese and then translate it.

QUOTE(flamesmaster @ Aug 27 2008, 01:53 PM) You need to get a japanese text reading plugin or download a japanese text reader.
Know of any?

boojumz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NJStar.

you need NJStar Japanese Word Processor and NJStar CJK Viewer

The former is, obviously, a word processor to type in and the Viewer, if you set it to Japanese Auto detect, will automatically detect any japanese that shsows up on your computer as long as it's in sjis or eucjis encoding.

google them and you should find the NJstar website where you can get them for free.

flamesmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to hack roms lately with windhex, just change a few words here or there my tables always seem 2 screw up, maybe those programs will help. Thanks

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I want to try doing a translation but once I find a file in Japanese how read it (in Japanese )? Then I'd translate it (which I know how to do).

what do you mean by read? if you can't read japanese as in reading a book, then you can't read it. (well, common sense)
but as in computerwise, i still don't know what you are talking about.
being able to read it? like loading it on windhex with a shift-jis table, so you can view the japanese on it?
So you know how to translate it but you can't read it? translate as in rom hacking or translate as in a translation guide?
because as I see you don't know how to "read it", you probably don't know how to change the text into english... and if your game doesn't support single byte ascii, you have to depend on abbreviations which are not that good.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You better back off, really. Translating Japanese isn't THAT easy. You can't read Japanese, so if something is wrong you can't fix it, find other people to help you translate

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Raestloz said:
You better back off, really. Translating Japanese isn't THAT easy. You can't read Japanese, so if something is wrong you can't fix it, find other people to help you translate
I was going to Google Translate then redo all the text into something that's a bit more readably.

chocomog257

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's no use translating Japanese games without adequate knowledge of the language and using Google Translate. It's easy to see why; the system is completely different from English, German, or any of the Romance languages (like French or Spanish).
In addition Japanese also includes a lot of expressions with variable degrees of nuance (or emotions) that is partially lost when translated into English, even when you can understand more or less of it.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
chocomog257 said:
It's no use translating Japanese games without adequate knowledge of the language. It's easy to see why; the system is completely different from English, German, or any of the Romance languages (like French or Spanish).
In addition Japanese also includes a lot of expressions with variable degrees of nuance (or emotions) that is partially lost when translated into English, even when you can understand more or less of it.
Look at this

Code:
?????????????????

You know what it says? It says "You don't know what your saying!" (no it does). Look at this as well.

EDIT: Look what I translated!

CODENintendo's products are always patronage case, Thank you.

January 31, we will release Wii software "Dairantou Smash Brothers X" (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) for the Wii console and update of the landscape "photo channels", 1.0 (MP3 format) to 1.1 (AAC format) and some customers are pointing out, "an MP3 audio file on photo channel is not working".

We will consider how to respond to this, but this time we are ready for recovery, the symptoms that our customers are Sorry, the following methods to deal with are bon appétit.

Sincerely Masu.

Channel version of the photo ? introduction here please.

"Photo Channel" version 1.0, MP3 audio files available to customers, very sorry to have caused deep confused.

After recovery, "Dairantou Smash Brothers X" (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) to start them with these symptoms do not occur.

Sabre

See?!? Was that good???

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The problem being Japanese is a complicated languange. The grammar isn't that easy to be coded unlike English. I tried to use Babelfish and it turned out bad, real bad. Technically the meaning is the same, here's what I did:

QUOTE said:
hey, Darth, I found a good translator, the words are pretty messed up, but the meaning is somewhat the same, I tried translating weapon description and it turned out good.

Here's the Japanese text
??????:??????????????????\r\n???2?

Here's the translation:
One hand weapon exclusive use: To be fast front revolution while having done, it becomes invincible state, \ r \ n reuse 2 second

here's your translation:
1H Weapon: Quickly roll forward.\r\nGain invincibility during roll.\r\nCooldown: 2 seconds

I wanna help translating, it hurts to see the journal in English but the text is Japanese

I can try re-arrange the words. Just need to know how to tell you the translation

As you can see, online Translation isn't that accurate. Sure, Revolution means rotation, and rotation can mean roll, but if you don't know the actual definition (what the word was defined by the author) you might will never thought that revolution means roll, will you?

Anyway, if you insist, then why not? Maybe you'll end up successful, unlike me

Edit: I can see the Wii news are translated, but most of the site is still Japanese, And somehow Fa-i-a. E-mu-bu-re-mu (Fire Emblem) is translated Fire Dragon new dark and light sword. Pretty good, but "emblem" is nowhere near the meaning of "dragon"

think carefully. Or you might end up humiliated, like me with that quote.

boojumz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well, actually, if you know chinese (or Korean?), the grammar is more or less the same, so if you use just a normal dictionary and go word by word, you can actually turn out pretty accurate translations.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Raestloz said:
The problem being Japanese is a complicated languange. The grammar isn't that easy to be coded unlike English. I tried to use Babelfish and it turned out bad, real bad. Technically the meaning is the same, here's what I did:

QUOTE said:
hey, Darth, I found a good translator, the words are pretty messed up, but the meaning is somewhat the same, I tried translating weapon description and it turned out good.

Here's the Japanese text
??????:??????????????????\r\n???2?

Here's the translation:
One hand weapon exclusive use: To be fast front revolution while having done, it becomes invincible state, \ r \ n reuse 2 second

here's your translation:
1H Weapon: Quickly roll forward.\r\nGain invincibility during roll.\r\nCooldown: 2 seconds

I wanna help translating, it hurts to see the journal in English but the text is Japanese

I can try re-arrange the words. Just need to know how to tell you the translation

As you can see, online Translation isn't that accurate. Sure, Revolution means rotation, and rotation can mean roll, but if you don't know the actual definition (what the word was defined by the author) you might will never thought that revolution means roll, will you?

Anyway, if you insist, then why not? Maybe you'll end up successful, unlike me

Edit: I can see the Wii news are translated, but most of the site is still Japanese, think carefully. Or you might end up humiliated, like me with that quote
I don't know what your doing but for me it says (using babel Fish) "Your word [tsu] it is not necessary to know!" which is the same as zip it.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read what you said.

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boojumz said:
well, actually, if you know chinese (or Korean?), the grammar is more or less the same, so if you use just a normal dictionary and go word by word, you can actually turn out pretty accurate translations.

I think Japanese and korean are alike. Something about where the words are placed is the same (My japanese friend told me this because he was planning to learn korean).

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
QUOTE said:
I don't know what your doing but for me it says (using babel Fish) "Your word [tsu] it is not necessary to know!" which is the same as zip it.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read what you said.

That's OK, but translation is a hard job, many wil admire you for it. Nobody here who play Soma Bringer doesn't know who is DarthNemesis. Also, considering that there's [tsu] inside that Babelfish translation, you might end up thinking over what that [tsu] means. Almost Japanese characters doesn't have a meaning by it's own (although some do, like Nin for example, means person/sneaking). Losing even just one might screw up it's entire meaning.

I'm not discouraging you, I'm telling you because I already tried using your method, and ended up in failure, I just don't want you to fail the same way I did

chocomog257

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ENDscape said:
boojumz said:

I think Japanese and korean are alike. Something about where the words are placed is the same (My japanese friend told me this because he was planning to learn korean).
Yes, anyone with Korean or Korean language background can learn Japanese with much more ease than others. The grammatical structure is similar (S-O-V), vocabulary of Chinese origin is abundant and both languages has a rather complex system of honorifics. Chinese only shares a large portion of vocabulary (mostly technical and academic terms) with Japanese, but the grammar and words of everyday use is a completely different story.
If you want to translate the Babelfish way, OK but never underestimates a language's difficulty.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:

That's not a translation. You'd almost be better off just putting random English words in instead.

Korean and Japanese grammar are pretty similar (as far as I know - I was told this by my Japanese anthropology professor who's specialization is Zainchi Koreans - in a class I was taking). Korean to Japanese is not difficult. There's a lot of nuance, but it's much easier than Japanese to Chinese or English to Japanese (or vice versa). Chinese and Japanese grammar are totally different.

As a side note, since the word order is the same (and you can drop subjects) it also means most of the Indian languages and Korean/Japanese aren't too difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...