ROM Hack Translating Tutorial or Something?

sword414

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i want a ds-specific tutorial as well
tongue.gif

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
well this is beyond me, sorry. I unpacked it all, and instead of having a larger .cpk, it has every individual file compressed separately. You can view each file's info just by opening them in madedit/whatever, and it says something about UTF, so that might help out whoever decides to look at this properly. but when I tried to open the files with the critools, it gave me an invalid file type error. So I cant really help you much more until someone figures out how to access the text for you =\

ore0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's disappointing. The game looks sweet.

azure0wind said:
sword414 said:
i want a ds-specific tutorial as well
tongue.gif
romhacking.net has specific tuts for DS hacking
Could you post a link? I couldn't find one that was specific for DS. The one that I found on there was either for old or general rom hacking.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ore0 said:
ughh... So im not really sure if this game is in Shift JIS because when I open it in madedit, there are thigns that arent even letters. I mean, Im seeing musical notes and that female sign... I used Nitro Explorer to open it and when I extract the files they are .cpk . At first I looked to see how to open them, and a website just said to use notepad. So I open a file in notepad and its a bunch of junk. After a couple of attempts, I try microsoft word. When I first open it, it asks what encoding. I put in Shift JIS. I don't see as many crazy symbols as I did when I saw the madedit, but there were a bunch of floating dots that I guess were replacing them... So I guess I need more help
rofl2.gif

any file on a computer, a rom, a text file, anything, is just a list of binary numbers called bits. group them into groups of eight and you get bytes. Represent each byte as a hexadecimal number, and that's what hex is. this is how computers store information.
A table is basically a list that tells your hex editor that whenever it finds a (for example) "40", replace it with an 'a'. Naturally, there are only 256 possible values for a byte and so random "40" bytes that are not necessarily text will show up when you just try to look at the whole file.

you can usually find text by picking some random file from the rom and scrolling through but if that doesn't work, i usually just start searching for japanese screaming, which always involves some ??s in it.
since the files in this game are compressed, you will not be seeing anything, though. in that case, you need to figure out what kind of compression they have. That's the tricky part.
Most often, ds games use LZ77 compression because it's really really fast to decompress. but i'm not sure if they'd put lz compressed files inside a .cpk compressed file. i'm not familiar with .cpk so i have no idea if it makes sense or not.
However, Valiarchon is finding hex bytes in the headers that spell out "UTF", then they might not actually be compressed...i'm not sure, so don't take my word for that.

for tools, i would suggest windhex and CT2. neither require you to install language packs (ctrl+d for windhex to see stuff).
Crystaltile can do a whole lot of cool things like tile editors and asm disassemblers and lz77 decompressors, but in my opinion, it's really ugly, so i use windhex...it's easier ont he eyes...

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Yeah it wasnt just UTF, there was a whole header of information about the compression and encoding inside, although the data was a little jumbled no matter what I did.. but its in every file as far as I can tell. Also, even though this points to there being no compression ( I think?) the critools labelled the various files as having somewhere between 12-70% compression depending on the file. What this means, I have no idea, so yeah, good luck =]

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
well good thing i searched because i was just about to post this exact topic!, I have been playing the game all day and although i have been able to guess my way past the puzzles so far, i know my luck will run out.

Tsumuji is a real good game, an obvious zelda clone, i had hoped they would announce an english release, if they did it would be called whirlwind.

Can anyone tell me what the games sales where in Japan?

I know it was made by EA japan so i don't know how that affects things but since a translation is looking unlikely, i would have loved to translate it

Sadly I'm not to knowledgeable on translations and came here with the exact same idea of using Google or possibly babel-fish to translate lol

Reading the last two pages has been depressing and i guess it is unlikely that i can do it, plus even if i did waste my time the translation would be a mess and i'd have to cut the text right down.

Still if anyone is still interested in doing a tsumuji translation im in!

ore0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I've done a bit of translating since I made this topic and everything makes since now, but I'm not sure if Tsumuji is in Shift_JIS encoding. If it's not then we need to find out what it is in. If we do that then we could do it, but I'm guessing you don't have much knowledge in japanese, so it wouldn't turn out super, it would take a really long time, and there probably won't be a lot of support from the community because they'll expect us to fail.

Other than that, I doubt it would ever come to the US
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGzykqrsuM