Hacking Transferring Save Games TO DS/GBA Carts?

Prometheum5

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
Newbie with what is probably a dumb question. Ages and ages ago I played through a number of GBA games on my PC using VirtualBoy, and still have the savegame files for them. I was wondering if there was a way to transfer those save game files onto the legitimate GBA carts of those games? I know there used to be GBA to USB adapters for pulling the ROMs off, but can you write to real GBA carts as well?
Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Use GBA Backup Tool : here
Use NDS Backup Tool : here (there are different versions according to how you want to set it up, this one assumes you have a 3in1, use the ftp or wifi one if you don't have a 3in1)
(You will need to set up the folders and configure it properly)
AKAIO_root_dir.png

There are 3 modes, you navigate them with L & R buttons, they are always in this order:
Save Backup
Save Restore
Rom Backup

Your going to be using Save Restore. Instructions for what to do are in a box on the bottom screen, you don't need a guide unless your really slow to understand.

Before you transfer your game, look up the save type via the Release List or if you got Offline list. If your save type falls into the EEPROM save type, you will need to use the EEPROM_cnv program (it comes with the backup tool) on the save file before you can transfer it, otherwise your save will show up as corrupt.

DO NOT SPEED READ THROUGH WHAT I SAY, ALL OF IT IS IMPORTANT.

Prometheum5

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the thorough response. I've got just one more quick question, and then this looks like something I should actually be able to do. My DSlite is worn out, so I was thinking about getting a new XL around the holidays, which would make the Wifi ftp process much easier. With a brand new XL, I should be able to use the FTP method to transfer the saves to the DS carts, but what hardware do I need to talk to the GBA carts from my computer? One of the wifi-enabled games through the DSlite?

D

Deleted-236924

Pretty sure NDS backup tools do not work on the DSi/XL/3DS, because they prevent you from swapping cards.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBA Backup tool IS ONLY for DS and DS Lites only.

For DSi/XL/3DS, you would have to get the NDS Adaptor Plus to backup/restore saves, it doesn't do rom dumps. 3DS save are encrypted, so you can't mess with it unless you know what your doing, for now you can see how it is laid out in a nice app.

Site that sells the NDS Adaptor Plus is offline until Nov 1, it says they are changing hosting services.

http://www.renchi.com/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1