1. TheBeverage

OP TheBeverage Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey folks,

I'm having an immense amount of trouble figuring out how to transfer PS2 saves created via uLaunchELF to my unhacked PS3. I have looked far and wide and can see no way to do this other than purchasing an adapter which goes for silly prices on Amazon. Does any kind soul happen to have one of these that would be willing to copy these saves to their card and convert? I can send you a few bucks for the trouble if needed.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. RedL

RedL Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    Depends on the method you use on the PS3.

If you use the "Mount iso" method from Multiman, renaming the file to go from a .ps2 to a .VM2 extension should be enough, transfer it back to the PS2 with the other memory cards, reboot for the memcard to be reindexed and voila. If your save is in another format, you can always use MyMcPlus.

In case you use the "PS2 Classics" method, no idea how can I help you at all.

zfreeman likes this.
  3. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try this. Using Memory Card Annihilator, you can make an .BIN image of the memory card. Upload your .BIN here, then we can use myMC to insert the individual saves into a formatted PCSX2 .PS2 save file, bypassing MagicGate encryption. To bypass PS3's .PSV encryption, rename the .PS2 file extension to .VM2 and copy it to the PS3's Virtual Memory Card folder (dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc/), using a CFW PS3's file manager. Rebuild the PS3's database or create a PS2 Virtual Memory Card with the same name as the .VM2, to which it will give an error; it will show up after that. The saves can now be exported from the PS3, in .PSV format, to a USB. In .PSV format, they can now be imported to any PS3, CFW or OFW.

Memory Card Annihilator v2.0 for the PS2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    TheBeverage likes this.
  4. TheBeverage

Newcomer

United States
  5. zfreeman

United States
    Format a USB as FAT32. copy the .PSV save files into a PS3/EXPORT/PSV/ folder structure. Create a PS3 Internal Memory Card from Memory Card Utility, select USB Device, (triangle) Copy save to Internal Memory Card.

Here you go. I have verified that at least Persona 3 and 4 work. Keep in mind that PS2 Classics might have a different ID than the PS2 disks, causing incompatibility.

Also, that PS3 Memory Card Adapter is practically useless in regards to PS2, compared to PS1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    TheBeverage likes this.
  6. TheBeverage

Newcomer

United States
    zfreeman likes this.
  7. zfreeman

United States
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  8. TheBeverage

Newcomer

United States
    So that was not quite the end of the journey. It turns out that the PS2 Classics and actual PS2 games use entirely separate save methods on the PS3. Copying over the .psv files placed them into the "internal memory card" that I was prompted to create when I launched a PS2 Classics game for the first time (which seems quite odd, it doesn't actually use this memory card) does not place them into PS2 classics.

On the XMB, "Saved Data Utility (PS2)" holds the actual data. The PS2 Classics saves are not stored in the PSV format, but rather in a folder with four files, including two .VME files (the one ending in 0 being the one with the actual save data). The last post on this page helped a lot, simply replace the max drive save with a .psu save created with uLaunchELF: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/915821-playstation-2/75185205

Basically though, using two programs called ps2classics_GUI and mymc, and roughly following the instructions in that gameFAQs post, it is indeed possible to convert from a PS2 save to a PS2 Classics save. It was very difficult to find this information, prior to searching today I had seen no mention of any of this, so hopefully this thread will serve in the future to those trying to accomplish this.

The files provided by @zfreeman would have worked had I been using a backwards compatible PS3 and real PS2 games, but I'm on the slim so that's not an option. Thank you again for the help regardless!

zfreeman likes this.
  9. RedL

RedL Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    Seriously, save yourself the pain and avoid "PS2 Classics" as much as possible, I only use "PS2 Games" (ie: mount iso in Multiman, then run the iso) and I can safely switch my memcards to my computer to use cheats on PCSX, or go through passages that aren't emulated well on the PS3 (there are two infamous ones in the first Yakuza).

10. BRIAN-FLORES-82

Newcomer

France
    CE N'EST PAS CE QUE JE CHERCHE MOI JE VOULAIT UN TRUC DU GENRE UNE SAUVEGARDE PS2
    SUR PS3 PSN OU PS2 CLASSIC POUR UN JEUX ACHETER SUR LE PS STORE OK UN LOGICIEL POUR CONVERTIR LA SAVE PS2 SUR PS3 PSN . (POUR PS3 ULTRA SLIM NON MODDER) CA SERRAIT SYMPA LES MEC MERCI

11. zfreeman

United States
    Use PSV Exporter v1.3 to encrypt/decrypt .PSV saves.
    https://www.ps2savetools.com/download/psv-exporter/

MythicalData likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Transferring, saves,