Gaming Transferring computer images to DSi?

Makoto0729

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this probably sounds like a noob question, and I apologize in advance for that. Last I heard, a long time ago, you could move photos taken from the DSi to the computer and back, but you couldn't take a picture, say, downloaded off the internet and view it on DSi. Has that ever been hacked or fixed? Has a way ever, in all this time, been found to do so? I figure if anyone will know, it'll be you guys.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Kvnrdrguez

Makoto0729

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply, but that's sort of circumventing the problem. I want the DSi's menu to recognize the pictures, so I can set the top-screen pictures in the menu to something other than a really crappy DSi picture. Or at least, I'd like to know if that's doable.

Elvarg

Zyzz™
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Makoto0729 said:
Thanks for the quick reply, but that's sort of circumventing the problem. I want the DSi's menu to recognize the pictures, so I can set the top-screen pictures in the menu to something other than a really crappy DSi picture. Or at least, I'd like to know if that's doable.

im not sure what picture format dsi supports anyway if you want to find out if youve exported a picture from your ds to your computer right click>properties.

edit: its funny how i commented 1min before you wrote the thread.

Makoto0729

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just appears to be a JPG, but I've tried saving another picture as one and the DSi still didn't recognize it.

Has a way ever been found before?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Makoto0729 said:
......Has that ever been hacked or fixed? ......Thanks in advance!As said - unfortunately no... there were a few attempts of trying to 'fool' the DSi by...
Taking a DSi picture > transferring to PC > Extracting the header info/EXIF > getting another picture of same size/resolution/DPI etc > 'importing' the DSi's picture header into the new picture > transferring BACK to DSi using exactly the SAME name as the file first taken from the DSi (effectively replacing the original existing DSi photo with a different picture)

I believe the 'best' attempt so far actually managed to get the DSi to recognise the picture existed & actually showed a thumbnail (even though it was the WRONG thumbnail IIRC) but any attempt to open it to view it failed
(I personally think there's another file 'somewhere' that hold extra info about pictures - perhaps the 'thumbnail' file - that need altering as well. When trying to open the picture it gets compared to this extra info & if it don't match then DSi fails)

QUOTE(Snailface @ Feb 21 2011, 08:49 AM) You can still have your own pics on your DSi if you have a flashcart and know how to use a skin editor.
I think you're getting a bit mixed up... I think the OP want his OWN pictures to be displayed on the top screen while on the DSi 'channel' screen - not while on a flashcard own menu screen

Makoto0729

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
As said - unfortunately no... there were a few attempts of trying to 'fool' the DSi by...
Taking a DSi picture > transferring to PC > Extracting the header info/EXIF > getting another picture of same size/resolution/DPI etc > 'importing' the DSi's picture header into the new picture > transferring BACK to DSi using exactly the SAME name as the file first taken from the DSi (effectively replacing the original existing DSi photo with a different picture)

I believe the 'best' attempt so far actually managed to get the DSi to recognise the picture existed & actually showed a thumbnail (even though it was the WRONG thumbnail IIRC) but any attempt to open it to view it failed
(I personally think there's another file 'somewhere' that hold extra info about pictures - perhaps the 'thumbnail' file - that need altering as well. When trying to open the picture it gets compared to this extra info & if it don't match then DSi fails)

That's actually EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for, thanks, even if the actual answer isn't what I hoped for. Again, I knew it was once impossible, and all Google searches confirmed that, but it seemed impossible to find any recent information on the subject.

Unrelated, but wasn't the DSi Common Key released at some point a few months ago? I never was able to find it. I know it's against the rules to ask for it here, so I won't, but I'm surprised no one's used that to somehow allow that...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...