Hacking Transcend or A-DATA? (Both class 6)

xeggyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after a WHOLE two days of waiting, I finally got my CycloDS, thus finally replacing my old R4.

I am currently using a 2gb Sandisk that I had previously used from my R4. The Sandisk has served me well, but I think that it is time to move on to a higher capacity.

So I went on a search for Class 6 MicroSDHC cards and came across two options.

1. The A-DATA that everyone should know about by now...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211196

2. And the Transcend that nobody has heard about.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208408

As you can see, the Transcend option has the same specifics as the A-Data, but apparently, not as many reviews. As far as pricing goes, I think I can handle a couple dollars of difference. I just want the best 4gb Micro SDHC card that I can get. I don't want to end up getting a faulty A-DATA(10+ percent of the reviews were based on faulty products), so I have come out of the lurking shell to ask you all.

Transcend or A-DATA?
yaynds.gif

P.S. Any personal experience with Transcend is greatly appreciated.

CrushEmAll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've always stuck with brand's I know or have heard good things about. I personally use A-Data's 4GB microsdhc class 6 & a Patriot 4GB class 6 microsdhc card and have no beefs about either one. Both have served well and have had no problems.

xeggyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, they were really helpful.

With regards to the returns policy, can anyone that has had a faulty product from Newegg elaborate?

The only thing keeping me from the A-DATA is the amount of "supposed" faulty cards there are. Though it is true that many don't write reviews.

Anyways, is there a sort of chart that compares the class 6 cards? I saw one earlier from another topic, but the only class 6 on there was the A-DATA.

xCuteBunnyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrushEmAll said:
I've always stuck with brand's I know or have heard good things about. I personally use A-Data's 4GB microsdhc class 6 & a Patriot 4GB class 6 microsdhc card and have no beefs about either one. Both have served well and have had no problems.
I've only heard about Transcend once, but I heard of A-Data quite a lot. So I say stick to A-Data.

torradan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xeggyx said:
With regards to the returns policy, can anyone that has had a faulty product from Newegg elaborate?

Not so much a return as a replacement, but here is my experience with newegg:

-Got a stick of memory for laptop
-After about 5 months it went wonky and gave me lots of trouble.
-Went to newegg website, pulled up the invoice for that item.
-Got RMA for item.
-They gave me a label to print and stick on box.
-Returned item.
-A bit over a week later, new item was in the mailbox waiting for me.

So very painless and easy, no questions asked.

Just make sure you look at the warranty period on whatever item you're purchasing so you know if you're within the limits

daishadar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own the A-Data card (4GB Class 6) and it's great, all games run at 100% (even Portrait of Ruin). I actually have a couple of other A-Data cards (normal SD for my camera, another microSD for my cell phone) and they've all been perfect with no defects. I'm of the opinion now that A-Data makes excellent flash cards.

peppers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally own that A-Data card and its works quite well for me. I also useally seek out A-Data products when it comes to flash memory because of there low cost and acceptable quality. Although there is a pretty good chance the trancend card is just as good so you might go with the cheaper one.

xeggyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies guys, you all have been really helpful.

In my case, I had never heard of A-DATA previous to getting my CycloDS, I had however, heard of Transcend from various sorts of media that I can't recall at the moment. I guess it's the other way around for me.

It seems that the general population of this board has had positive experiences with A-DATA, so I might as well go with that.

It would be great if someone who has had personal experience with the Transcend brand to share their experiences though.

Thanks again.
yaynds.gif

Zombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I"m in the same boat. I thought I would ask here instead of making a new topic.

I've been using a 2gb Kingston Japan for my Evo. And I'm sick of constantly taking games off to make room for new ones. So it's time I upgrade to a 4gb.

I've decided to get the 4gb A-Data from Newegg, that everyone seems to like.

So, my only questions is, this is a fast microsd, right? With my 1gb Kingston Japan, I have no problems with Portrait of Ruin. But...with my 2gb Kingston Japan, every once in a while when I go into the Start Menu, the game freezes.

Besides that, I haven't had a problem with any other game with my 2gb. So everyone here can confirm, that has the A-Data 4gb and played PoR, that the game does not freeze or lag? I should have no problems with that game and this microsd, right?

Thanks for any info. I might get a new reader too. I'm going to be using the clear blue that came with my Evo(it's a first batch). And I guess that one is compatible with microsdhc's. But has anyone used one of the clear blue readers with their microsdhc? Does it work ok?

Alright, thanks for any info. I'll really appreciate it.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The A-Data 4G Class 6 is faster than the Transcend 4G Class 6. If the price is close, go with the A-Data. For detailed speed test results, check out kms's thread on the TC forums.

@DespizingU - The A-Data has the fastest random access time and is the best choice for a microSDHC to play C:PoR. However, anyone who has extensively tested this issue will tell you that it can happen occasionally, even on the fastest microSD (I've seen it twice on the 1G Kingston (J)).

Some advice for those who have brand loyalty with memory. Find the results for the particular card you are looking at. Performance can vary greatly within a brand. For example, A-Data had at least 2 batches of their 2G microSD, and the second batch performed much worse than the first. A-Data made no attempt to distinguish between the two cards. Then there was the well known difference between the 1G Kingston Taiwan, and the 1G Kingston Japan (Toshiba).

Bottom line is, brand loyalty might lead you to a bad purchase. Research each card for it's own merits.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CeePhour said:
Apparently the A-data card in question has some issues with the Cyclo 1.3 firmware
(it works fine, it just takes it a few seconds to pop up the enhanced menu when you hit the button combination).

What are the known problems with A-Data 4GB MicroSDHC?

A-Data vs Transcend 4GB SDHC
I have my doubts that the above issue has anything to do with the brand of microSDHC. It seems premature to use that as a criteria to choose between the A-Data and the Transcend. Time will tell, I suppose.

xeggyx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I decided to wait a bit to see the reviews for the Transcend, and so far, it seems to be doing fine.

Also, I don't think that they are the same company, otherwise why would they be selling what would be essentially the same product under different brand names and prices?

Though I think that they are both based in Taiwan. (Not sure >__>)

Also, here's the speed results by kms from teh TC forums:
http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3902

I'm not very fluent with the terms that he listed, but apparently random access is important to look at, and A-DATA has the lowest time for the 4gb class six cards.

CeePhour

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.HWHQ.com
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
I have my doubts that the above issue has anything to do with the brand of microSDHC. It seems premature to use that as a criteria to choose between the A-Data and the Transcend. Time will tell, I suppose.

A lot of people over at the TC forums are reporting the same problem. I myself have the A-data card and can vouch for the very slow Enhanced Menu access on 1.3fw (using Evo hw1.1).

It isn't something wrong with the card, it works fine on the older firmwares. Just pointing this out as something to consider.

I can't speak for the random full formats, I call BS on that.

*edit : I love the card though. It works great in every game I have tried. And the slow Enhanced Menu doesn't bother me any (I don't use the features except for changing brightness). Didn't want to sound negative abotu the A-data card, it works great. It's the Evo 1.3 firmware that has the issue.

xCuteBunnyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have A-Data and it works great.
The downsides are its slowness on Enhanced Menu(Only 2-5 seconds of waiting time)
and SDHC sucks up more battery life then SD cards.

I'm sure after they have firmware 1.4 the problem will be fixed.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
The A-Data 4G Class 6 is faster than the Transcend 4G Class 6. If the price is close, go with the A-Data. For detailed speed test results, check out kms's thread on the TC forums.

@DespizingU - The A-Data has the fastest random access time and is the best choice for a microSDHC to play C:PoR. However, anyone who has extensively tested this issue will tell you that it can happen occasionally, even on the fastest microSD (I've seen it twice on the 1G Kingston (J)).

Thanks for the info. I was actually all ready to order the Transcend. Figuring that that the A-Data and Transcend are both class 6's, I figured they would have the same speeds. Looks like I'll go with the A-Data then.

And yeah, looks like I'll just keep PoR on my internal memory carts(also have the original game, so it's not a huge deal).

Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...