Training your battery

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Kouen Hasuki, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Do you guys attempt to train your battery on first use or every now and then or do you use it like normal from the word go, reason I ask is there is much conflicting information and arguements on the subject personally while it strains the battery from new I do full power cycle a battery when I get it new 3times and maybe every few months full drain and charge.

Curious about you tempers on what you do!

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    You hear conflicting reports for the same reason you still hear people think that clearing cookies makes their computer go faster, etc. A lot of info is passed around almost like old wive's tales, even years after it stops being true (if it ever was).

• Old types of batteries (nickel cadmium particularly) could use 'training' and such. That's where this info started getting spread around.

• Newer ones do NOT need it, in fact lithium-ion/polymer batteries are PHYSICALLY DAMAGED if they lose too much charge (the fibers will crack). Because of this, most modern devices will actually report a little less power than they actually have, and do a force-shutoff if the power gets dangerously low, just to avoid actually running the battery dry.

Apple's page on batteries...
    http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256
    Used to have a bunch of the technical info, but it seems it's been dumbed-down since I last looked and only says what and not why anymore.

So this looks like a good replacement article at first glance.
    http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

weavile001 likes this.