Trade in my old DS or keep it?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Zarxrax, Mar 11, 2011.

?

Should I trade it in?

1. Trade it in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 11, 2011
  1. Zarxrax
    OP

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Since I'll be getting a 3DS soon, do you guys think I should trade in my old DS lite and maybe get enough credit to buy a game, or should I keep the DS lite?
    I've pretty much played all the DS games that I want to play by now, except for 1 or 2.
    The only big advantage I would see in keeping it is that it has longer battery life (but I think it still only lasts like 4 hours for me).
    My EZflash vi has been updated to work for the 3ds, so I could still use it as long as I don't update to a firmware that blocks it. And I feel pretty confident that even if it gets blocked, they can find a way around it again.
    So what do you guys think?

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Don't trade it in, sell it.

3. Zarxrax
    OP

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I might get an extra 20 bucks or so out of that, but its a lot more hassle.

4. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Anyone heard if GameStop's doing any deals on DS/DSi/PSP trade-ins? Like, 'Get $x extra in credit when you trade your y in towards a new 3DS'? Might convince me to trade in my beat-up old fat DS or PSP.

5. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I think it's just DSi/XL

6. Kawo

Member Kawo GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Sell it for good money or keep it for playing your DS games without the fear to break your new system.

7. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Let's see...I see a used black DS lite on ebay selling for $71 and still has 15 min left. It may be a hassle but it's worth it. Trade-in stores like Gamestop are a ripoff in both their trade in's ($75 only for trading in a DSi) and their used games. But maybe I'm just biased because I hate their business practices (doesn't really change the fact they are ripoffs).

8. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Sell it on ebay. I sold mine for $92. Minus shipping and commission fee I earned about $80, which is far better than $50 trade-in deal.

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'd keep it.

Some people complain about DS games on their 3DS. Plus there's some differences in load times apparently. I'd just keep the DS Lite as it's, well, a better system for playing DS games on than the 3DS.

It's probably better to just save up the extra bucks than trade it in for credit anyway. Who knows, the price could go down and if you're into the used market, games could start going on sale used for a tad cheaper (same goes for systems).

10. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    What I've learned over the years is to never sell a console.

You will get such a small amount, and 10 years down the line, you'll be so glad you kept it.

I wish I never sold my N64, GBA. and original DS. (I got like 120, 10, and 40 dollars respectively). I much rather have had those three right now than had the money back then.

11. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    $10 for a GBA and only $40 for a DS? Sounds like people just need to know where and how to sell used goods. Although, if you just recently sold those it sounds reasonable...but even now you can still get more for a GBA.

12. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I'd keep it, but if you really WANT to get rid of it, sell it. Not to Gamestop, but somewhere else.

The extra money is WORTH it.

13. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=152524

PowerUp Rewards members get $120 for DSi XL, $90 for DSi, $60 for DS Lite towards 3DS pre-order.

14. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Keep the system, you'll likely find you'd prefer playing DS games on an actual DS anyway, since the screens have to be upscaled and the circle pad might not be as ideal for playing DS games.

Plus there's no telling what Nintendo might do to the flashcarts after the 3DS is released, I would keep a DS system for flashcarts and the such.

15. Arwen20

Member Arwen20 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm keeping my DSi XL. The screen is so much smaller for playing my ds games. Anyway, I know I can play games with my supercard dstwo without being blocked by an update.

16. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well, I sold my GBA years after the SP came out just because I had no use for it to Gamestop. There was no way I would have been able to sell it for more than $20 at the time. And for my DS, I knew it was a rip-off, but it was the only way I could afford a DS Lite, and I wanted it really bad at the time, so also traded it to Gamestop.

Anyway, I never trade in systems anymore. There are other ways to get money.