djrobinn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys:

Total n00b just bought DS Lite, please show me the way... please send me links, etc. that I would need in order to figure out the best way to play NDS ROMS...

Also, which adapter to buy vis. M3i Zero, R4DS, NDTT, etc.

TIA!

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
r4DS is a NO
DSTT is a NO

you can try getting yourself ak2i or m3i0...
they are one of the better supported karts

what sort of link you are seeking? flash cart discussion?
then go to the following forum... lots of thread about which to get, why get this and where to get
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=40

note: you will also get to read lots of r4 user complain about their flash cart PP

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get ak2i,dont get m3i zero unless you are careful. if you mess up the flashing process,you could screw up your cart. idk if this is the case with other people,but when my m3i zero was still working,I had to flash my m3 frequently,which means, one minute,i am playing a game on it,the next few, it doesnt work,and I had to flash it again.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As you are a self-proclaimed n00b
laugh.gif
you may probably be wondering why buy a DSi enabled flashcart when you have only purched a DSL. They are backwards compatible, so not only will it work straight out of the box on your DSL, but will be able to work on a DSi (should you ever need to).
I'm not sure about the posts prior to mine, because: (1) I thought there have been a crap load of problems with the AK2 over recent weeks. AK2i are fine, though. (2) M3iZero are regarded highly.

djrobinn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanx to all for your replies!

I'm leaning towards the m3i zero as well... although I have no plans of upgrading to the DSi, its for my daughter and I told her about the cool features with the DSi like the camera, etc. but she didn't care... so fine... another 40+ dollars in my pocket... lol.

BTW, once I get the m3i zero, is it simply the act of putting the games on the MicroSD card and putting the MicroSD card into the m3i zero adapter (for lack of a better word) or is it something more evolved than that?

Thanx!

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
djrobinn said:

I'm leaning towards the m3i zero as well... although I have no plans of upgrading to the DSi, its for my daughter and I told her about the cool features with the DSi like the camera, etc. but she didn't care... so fine... another 40+ dollars in my pocket... lol.

BTW, once I get the m3i zero, is it simply the act of putting the games on the MicroSD card and putting the MicroSD card into the m3i zero adapter (for lack of a better word) or is it something more evolved than that?

Thanx!
No point in really getting a DSi Cart if you're not going to actually get a DSi, Get a CycloDS if you have the money.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ever heard of future-proofing?
I don't know what the difference is dollar wise, but I'm sure it's better than ever having to buy another flashcart should a DSi be purchased.

djrobinn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
luke_c said:
djrobinn said:

Thanx!
No point in really getting a DSi Cart if you're not going to actually get a DSi, Get a CycloDS if you have the money.

Got it! and why do you guys call it a "cart"? I thought it was a "card"... once again n00b

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
flashcart, cart = short for cartridge (official DS games are cartridges)
msd = microSD card

Not too much science to it.

Note: To answer your other question, you will need to download the latest firmware from the website of the flashcart you purchase and place it on the msd (follow the instructions on website - it's simple), then place games on it. Whatever cart you choose, head over to its specific section in here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=40 and you will find all of your answers.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
djrobinn said:
luke_c said:
djrobinn said:

Thanx!

Got it! and why do you guys call it a "cart"? I thought it was a "card"... once again n00b
It stands for cartridge

djrobinn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dark^'^Knight said:
msd = microSD card

Thanks so much! I get it now... I've been referring to the "carts" as "adapters"... never occurred to me.

So? any word on "BTW, once I get the m3i zero, is it simply the act of putting the games on the MicroSD card and putting the MicroSD card into the m3i zero adapter (for lack of a better word) or is it something more evolved than that?"

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
most of the better carts are drag-and-drop. literally.

you just drag the files and drop it onto your microSD. you can also just copy-paste if that's your thing, heh. do note that there are SOME titles that require more than drag-and-drop to make it work on any one flashcart. if you find that one particular game your kid likes doesn't work, just head back here and ask around. chances are, someone knows where to point you.

smile.gif

djrobinn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dark^'^Knight said:
check back to my last post - I already edited it with that info before I saw your response
nyanya.gif

Thanx much! Nothing beats an active forum!

Cheers guys and keep the scene alive!!

One last question, when I'm looking to download ROMs, what am I looking for? has to be NTSC/ USA right? Some torrents have chip names in them... does that mean the ROM will only work on those chips?

Also, will old NES games work on the DS? Contra, Super Mario, etc.?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dark^'^Knight said:
msd = microSD card

Actually, take a DS game out of a DS; it'll say there's no "DS card" inserted.
wink.gif

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
djrobinn said:
Also, will old NES games work on the DS? Contra, Super Mario, etc.?
NES... Use nes.nesterds.nds (moonshell2 extlink) or nesDS.nds (DLDI version stopped distribution)

Actually I use both CARTridge and DS CARD term.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
for the m3i zero ur gonna need to put the f_core for and the system files and then ur gonna need to connect it to a usb port to flash it (its automatic)
after that ur not gonna need to flash it again

djrobinn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry guys... but even contrary to the first post that said ... NO R4, I caved and got an R4 SDHC for DSL... I couldn't help it. I wasn't getting the m3i zero anywhere locally and EVERY store had the R4 so I gave in, just to make my little girl happy already and not having to wait...

I guess I'll follow the link posted in the first few posts and see what I need to do next...

was it a big blunder?? please say no. I did make a pact with the dealer and he said he'll take it back if it doesn't work for me...

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You are as mad as a cut snake
excl.gif

Look, the cart will work & is easy to use for a little girl and you can download themes to put on it that she would like http://www.ndsthemes.com/themes/title/Both (may take some time working out which site to download firmware from - if you head on over to the R4 section you will see an absolute plethora of threads about "firmware doesn't work on my R4 / tried one from the website on box and it won't work / which one do I need"All R4 carts are clones, ie. firmware updates not properly supported and are built using other cart manufacturers firmwares. This why R4 clones will be around forever, n00bs just keep buying them.
All carts with R4 in title have problems with certain recent games playing and, either need patching or an alternative firmware installed (such as YSMenu), they tend to have problems with cheat files, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021