Gaming torrent downloading

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well I download a lot of gb's worth of illegal torrents all the time (by a lot I mean 150-100gb a month)
and I was wondering if I got a warning letter from my ISP (optus) saying if I continue to download I will have to pay fines etc.
so do they have to give me a warning or can I just get a letter in the mail or something saying I have to go to court or pay fines etc.?

HEARDATBEAT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HAHAHA this is the coolest thread ever!!
... use peerguardian 2 a firewall and a corkscrew and you should be fine... (PS the last one is a Half-Baked joke if anyone doesn't realize it)

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
I'm not sure of the law in oz, but if it is similar to most of the western world then the copyright holder can request that you attend court/have you tried in absence without any warning if they have proof (or think that they have proof).

Your ISP can't do this, but they can send you a warning if they receive a complaint from the copyright holder.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
HEARDATBEAT said:
... use peerguardian 2 a firewall and a corkscrew and you should be fine... (PS the last one is a Half-Baked joke if anyone doesn't realize it)
I don't want to use Peerguardian because I have a theory: the harder it is for them to crack the more suspicious they get and the harder they try to crack it!

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lol, illegal eh? I've downloaded like 500GB of data over the years, through torrents, I never got a single mail or warning from my ISP, even though its illegal here, they just don't care!!!
biggrin.gif

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gifi4 said:
HEARDATBEAT said:
I don't want to use Peerguardian because I have a theory: the harder it is for them to crack the more suspicious they get and the harder they try to crack it!
That and the fact that it's been proven time and time again that peer guardian is nothing but a placebo?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I have read on the Net: If an ISP calls you on it then it just is a formatlity that they must do to prevent themselves from being brought up on charges. They, themselves, won't fine you of course but it would be up to a civil suit to do that. Many ISPs won't even bother on telling the RIAA, etc about your activity because it does them harm as well for having to appear in court, etc.

Also PG2 is said to do as much harm as help because many copyright holders submit servers that are legit as ones that are tracking downloads.

In short, join a reliable Usenet server (astraweb is great) and forget about any litigation...

Phr3d13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a warning from my ISP once, it was for me sharing (not downloading) Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Such a crappy movie to be looking for.

D

Deleted User

Things like usenet are useful. However, if you're not up to paying cash for something you feel that you shouldn't there are two options that this thread has reminded me of.

(1) PeerBlock (blocking bad IP/Connections)(Debatable)
(2) IPFilter.dat (uTorrent can use an IPFilter)(I believe SourceForge has one).

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You wanna know what Peer Guardian will do for you? Block Steam access, and, if by chance you're on a wireless network, and your 360 is hardwired to your PC to connect to the wireless internet, will cause XBLA problems when you connect to a game.

That's about it
smile.gif

As for the original question- They'll send warnings... and after that, i've never PERSONALLY (from my friends, IRL, that have received warnings, and there have been a handful) heard of any followups.

*I* don't worry about it. But i'm not an idiot when it comes to downloading things. (only seeding on private trackers, and using public trackers, i kill that torrent when i'm done with it... but i use public trackers so rarely anyway...)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way to be "safe" using bittorrent is to not download anything illegal. PeerGuardian doesn't help, encryption doesn't help, private trackers don't help.

P2P is insecure by definition. If you're going to use it, you must accept the risks.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
i don't know how it is in Australia but here in sweden it is sharing that is illegal not downloading, if it's like that in Australia too you don't have to worry as long you are only downloading and not seeding

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
The only way to be "safe" using bittorrent is to not download anything illegal. PeerGuardian doesn't help, encryption doesn't help, private trackers don't help.

P2P is insecure by definition. If you're going to use it, you must accept the risks.
Or 1 seed that you personally know. 1 seed, and only you are the leach. :trollface:

GutsMan.EXE

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know why people use torrents anymore. Yeah sure there are those FEW things that are only available via p2p but it's rare to come across something you can't find elsewhere.

What you need to do is get yourself a good download manager like Jdownloader (f***ing awesome btw) and find a good site, there are plenty out there which are all easily found by your greatest weapon Google.

I've downloaded over 20TBs of data over the years and still counting (not just roms), never been caught or anything done to me and all you have to do i copy the link and everything else is sorted by your manager (after being configured).

File sharing websites are much better then p2p because unless ISP or whoever actually knows where to get these links from and actually download it themselfs of read a description on site they won't know what your downloading so it could be anything you want to tell if they even bother to contact (which they won't).

Lesson here is to forget about p2p and go into the new age of file sharing, lol
biggrin.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gutman5000 said:
I don't know why people use torrents anymore. Yeah sure there are those FEW things that are only available via p2p but it's rare to come across something you can't find elsewhere.

What you need to do is get yourself a good download manager like Jdownloader (f***ing awesome btw) and find a good site, there are plenty out there which are all easily found by your greatest weapon Google.

I've downloaded over 20TBs of data over the years and still counting (not just roms), never been caught or anything done to me and all you have to do i copy the link and everything else is sorted by your manager (after being configured).

File sharing websites are much better then p2p because unless ISP or whoever actually knows where to get these links from and actually download it themselfs of read a description on site they won't know what your downloading so it could be anything you want to tell if they even bother to contact (which they won't).

biggrin.gif
As far as I know the leading file sharing sites haven't implemented any sort of encryption, so if your ISP implements deep packet inspection (which Comcast has plans to) they can see exactly what you're downloading.

Usenet solves that problem however, and is pretty much superior in every other way as well.

The new age of file sharing is the old age. Usenet is king.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
gutman5000 said:

biggrin.gif
As far as I know the leading file sharing sites haven't implemented any sort of encryption, so if your ISP implements deep packet inspection (which Comcast has plans to) they can see exactly what you're downloading.

Usenet solves that problem however, and is pretty much superior in every other way as well.

How do you use Usenet? I don't get it
wacko.gif

GutsMan.EXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:
gutman5000 said:

biggrin.gif

Comcast is US only so even if they do it won't affect anyone outside of the US, plus no ISP at the moment has. If you do get paranoid and if/ when they do implement DPI a easy solution to the problem is to just setup VPN+Sock5 or even a RPD (or secretly use your neighbours wifi without anyone knowing).

ISPs don't really care for what you do they just want your money, who's to blame are the owners of the material or copyright enforcing groups.

Pff Usenet isn't that good loads of better and free hosts out there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare