torrent downloading

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gifi4, Jul 30, 2010.

Jul 30, 2010

torrent downloading by gifi4 at 8:32 AM (5,283 Views / 0 Likes) 69 replies

1. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    well I download a lot of gb's worth of illegal torrents all the time (by a lot I mean 150-100gb a month)
    and I was wondering if I got a warning letter from my ISP (optus) saying if I continue to download I will have to pay fines etc.
    so do they have to give me a warning or can I just get a letter in the mail or something saying I have to go to court or pay fines etc.?

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    They usually give warnings first. Almost always, it's not the ISP who collects fines, it's some stupid agency like the RIAA.

3. HEARDATBEAT

Member HEARDATBEAT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    HAHAHA this is the coolest thread ever!!
    ... use peerguardian 2 a firewall and a corkscrew and you should be fine... (PS the last one is a Half-Baked joke if anyone doesn't realize it)

4. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    I'm not sure of the law in oz, but if it is similar to most of the western world then the copyright holder can request that you attend court/have you tried in absence without any warning if they have proof (or think that they have proof).

Your ISP can't do this, but they can send you a warning if they receive a complaint from the copyright holder.

5. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    I don't want to use Peerguardian because I have a theory: the harder it is for them to crack the more suspicious they get and the harder they try to crack it!

6. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Lol, illegal eh? I've downloaded like 500GB of data over the years, through torrents, I never got a single mail or warning from my ISP, even though its illegal here, they just don't care!!! [​IMG]

7. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    That and the fact that it's been proven time and time again that peer guardian is nothing but a placebo?

8. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    From what I have read on the Net: If an ISP calls you on it then it just is a formatlity that they must do to prevent themselves from being brought up on charges. They, themselves, won't fine you of course but it would be up to a civil suit to do that. Many ISPs won't even bother on telling the RIAA, etc about your activity because it does them harm as well for having to appear in court, etc.

Also PG2 is said to do as much harm as help because many copyright holders submit servers that are legit as ones that are tracking downloads.

In short, join a reliable Usenet server (astraweb is great) and forget about any litigation...

9. Phr3d13

Member Phr3d13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got a warning from my ISP once, it was for me sharing (not downloading) Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Such a crappy movie to be looking for.

10. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Things like usenet are useful. However, if you're not up to paying cash for something you feel that you shouldn't there are two options that this thread has reminded me of.

(1) PeerBlock (blocking bad IP/Connections)(Debatable)
    (2) IPFilter.dat (uTorrent can use an IPFilter)(I believe SourceForge has one).

11. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    You wanna know what Peer Guardian will do for you? Block Steam access, and, if by chance you're on a wireless network, and your 360 is hardwired to your PC to connect to the wireless internet, will cause XBLA problems when you connect to a game.

That's about it [​IMG]

As for the original question- They'll send warnings... and after that, i've never PERSONALLY (from my friends, IRL, that have received warnings, and there have been a handful) heard of any followups.

*I* don't worry about it. But i'm not an idiot when it comes to downloading things. (only seeding on private trackers, and using public trackers, i kill that torrent when i'm done with it... but i use public trackers so rarely anyway...)

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The only way to be "safe" using bittorrent is to not download anything illegal. PeerGuardian doesn't help, encryption doesn't help, private trackers don't help.

P2P is insecure by definition. If you're going to use it, you must accept the risks.

13. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    i don't know how it is in Australia but here in sweden it is sharing that is illegal not downloading, if it's like that in Australia too you don't have to worry as long you are only downloading and not seeding

14. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Or 1 seed that you personally know. 1 seed, and only you are the leach. :trollface:

15. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I use torrents, mainly private trackers though.

16. GutsMan.EXE

Member GutsMan.EXE GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I don't know why people use torrents anymore. Yeah sure there are those FEW things that are only available via p2p but it's rare to come across something you can't find elsewhere.

What you need to do is get yourself a good download manager like Jdownloader (f***ing awesome btw) and find a good site, there are plenty out there which are all easily found by your greatest weapon Google.

I've downloaded over 20TBs of data over the years and still counting (not just roms), never been caught or anything done to me and all you have to do i copy the link and everything else is sorted by your manager (after being configured).

File sharing websites are much better then p2p because unless ISP or whoever actually knows where to get these links from and actually download it themselfs of read a description on site they won't know what your downloading so it could be anything you want to tell if they even bother to contact (which they won't).

Lesson here is to forget about p2p and go into the new age of file sharing, lol [​IMG].

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    As far as I know the leading file sharing sites haven't implemented any sort of encryption, so if your ISP implements deep packet inspection (which Comcast has plans to) they can see exactly what you're downloading.

Usenet solves that problem however, and is pretty much superior in every other way as well.

The new age of file sharing is the old age. Usenet is king.

18. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    How do you use Usenet? I don't get it [​IMG]

19. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  20. GutsMan.EXE

Member GutsMan.EXE GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Comcast is US only so even if they do it won't affect anyone outside of the US, plus no ISP at the moment has. If you do get paranoid and if/ when they do implement DPI a easy solution to the problem is to just setup VPN+Sock5 or even a RPD (or secretly use your neighbours wifi without anyone knowing).

ISPs don't really care for what you do they just want your money, who's to blame are the owners of the material or copyright enforcing groups.

Pff Usenet isn't that good loads of better and free hosts out there.