Gaming Torn between a few game to buy...

eilan25

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
So, I'm kinda in a tight spot and could scrap some money away from my salary to get myself 1 3DS game for the time being.
Problem is I can't decide!
I was looking at SMT IV and EO 4\MG or thought about waiting for BD:FF and honesty since they are all new to me (except maybe BD, I have played the old school FF games and loved them) I'm at loss here...
So, any recommendations?

BTW, feel free to recommend whatever. I'm always open to new games!
This is the ones I currently have:
KI:U
FE:A
KH:DDD
OoT
RE:R
Pokemon Y
aLBW
MK7

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Out of all those my personal recommendation is BD. That is if you don't mind waiting a while longer.
BD has just so much to do and the job system is love.

If you want to get any of the EO please get IV. MG isn't bad, but I feel it's kind of lacking. (I also think the EOIV jobs are way better)
Can't say that much about IV since I still haven't finished it yet orz.

JoshuaBojangles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If SMT IV has caught your interest, I'd definitely say go for it. The game is an absolutely intoxicating mix of satisfying high points when you crush a hard boss and infuriating lows when your party gets swept by demons 15 levels weaker than yourself. The game forces you to truly learn your enemies and will not hesitate to punish you for failing to do so.

Reactions: CamulaHikari

eilan25

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
If SMT IV has caught your interest, I'd definitely say go for it. The game is an absolutely intoxicating mix of satisfying high points when you crush a hard boss and infuriating lows when your party gets swept by demons 15 levels weaker than yourself. The game forces you to truly learn your enemies and will not hesitate to punish you for failing to do so.

Sounds like my kind of jrpg :D
Question is, because I am limiting myself on games can only gonna get one which will last longer? BD:FF or SMT IV?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
KI:U <--- If you liked Sin and Punishment or Panzer Dragoon, this will be to your liking
FE:A <--- If you like Fire Emblem, buy it - it's exactly what you'd expect it to be
KH: DDD <--- Kingdom Farts
OoT <--- Ocarina of 16-year-old Game, it's been on so many platforms it's not even funny and the "remake" offers very little new content beyond new textures and ever so slightly improved models. Not worth the money
RE:R <--- You can get it cheaper on different platforms. Otherwise, one of the best 3DS games out there, but that's not saying much
Pokemon Y <--- Buy it.
aLBW <--- Heard it's pretty underwhelming, played it a little bit and I liked it, but don't expect anything of a grandeur scale. Fun if you like top-down Zelda
MK7 <--- ...It's Mario Kart, it's gonna be fun, there isn't much more to say about that one

JoshuaBojangles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant speak for BD as it isnt out yet in the states but my firts playthrough for SMTIV clocked in between 60-70 hours and subsequent playthroughs are incentivised and there are a couple ridiculously strong DLC bosses as well

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of 16-year-old Game, it's been on so many platforms it's not even funny and the "remake" offers very little new content beyond new textures and ever so slightly improved models. Not worth the money

My rebuttal: It's the definitive version of an all time classic. It may not have much extra content beyond the Master Quest (which is different from the GC Master Quest) but it's far and away the best the game has ever looked, with much streamlining of the gameplay, and a lot of little niceties like the text boxes not taking forever to get through. Well worth buying, even if you already have the game several times over.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My rebuttal: It's the definitive version of an all time classic. It may not have much extra content beyond the Master Quest (which is different from the GC Master Quest) but it's far and away the best the game has ever looked, with much streamlining of the gameplay, and a lot of little niceties like the text boxes not taking forever to get through. Well worth buying, even if you already have the game several times over.
That's fantastic. Shame that it doesn't offer anything new and does not raise the bar in any category other than the graphics, representing the worst kind of remakes there is - remakes that introduce marginal changes and are not worth it. If all you're going to do is change some knick-knacks and up the graphics a bit, you might as well port - why bother remaking something from the ground up?

If you think that charging a full price for marginal face-lifts is okay, sure - go on ahead. I put this game on the same shelf with HD ports and think that it should be a budget title, especially since you can still get the original game on the Wii and Wii U for less and have the exact same experience.

eilan25

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Foxi4:
That was the list of games that I already own. And just an FYI, I've enjoyed them all.
Even "Kingdom Farts" (was probably the best of the spinoffs but not really on par with the full games story-wise).
Ocarina was a blast to play too, considering I do not own a copy of the game on any other platforms. I played it before, of course, but never owned it and I'm happy with it on my 3ds.
And I can whole heartedly recommend aLBW. It's a really good top down zelda. There's a little twist to the end and the renting system is nice, also the new painting mechanic really makes you want to explore the world.
All in all it's a good zelda game, I've had good zelda fun with it.

Well SMT does sounds good enough to buy right now and push BD and EO a bit.
Thanks guys! :D

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously you own Luigi's Mansion since its not on your list.

I'm going to go with the unpopular decision and say Kid Icarus. Its a one-of-a-kind experience on 3DS or any handheld for that matter, and the storyline/script is the more ambitious than any Nintendo game before and after it, save for maybe Bowser's Inside Story. Bottom line is that you/I knew/or know what we were getting into with the other listed titles, but I honestly was caught by surprise by Uprising.

eilan25

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
You should get BDSM (Bravely Default and Super Mario) :tpi:
LOL! Cleaver bastard, caught me by surprise with that one!
I want to get to Mario 3D Land eventually but I understand it's a bit light on contact so it will have to wait for a gap in my wish list :)

eilan25

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
It's not about saving money, but more of 'what I'm going to do with it'.
Sometimes I channel it to games and sometimes to other stuff.
This month I decided to upgrade my earphones so I found myself back logging some games...

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fantastic. Shame that it doesn't offer anything new and does not raise the bar in any category other than the graphics, representing the worst kind of remakes there is - remakes that introduce marginal changes and are not worth it. If all you're going to do is change some knick-knacks and up the graphics a bit, you might as well port - why bother remaking something from the ground up?

If you think that charging a full price for marginal face-lifts is okay, sure - go on ahead. I put this game on the same shelf with HD ports and think that it should be a budget title, especially since you can still get the original game on the Wii and Wii U for less and have the exact same experience.

It's not a marginal facelift. FF10HD is a marginal facelift. OOT, like all N64 games looks like ass. The 3DS version frankly doesn't. And thanks for ignoring that I brought up things besides the graphics, like the way the interface is streamlined (try swapping back and forth between using the iron boots and regular boots in the water temple in the N64 version after the 3DS version, it will make you want to kill yourself), how there's a master quest, how the friggin text moves at a rate that doesn't inspire dropping into a coma, but that wouldn't fit your whiny little rant against remakes, would it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not a marginal facelift. FF10HD is a marginal facelift. OOT, like all N64 games looks like ass. The 3DS version frankly doesn't. And thanks for ignoring that I brought up things besides the graphics, like the way the interface is streamlined (try swapping back and forth between using the iron boots and regular boots in the water temple in the N64 version after the 3DS version, it will make you want to kill yourself), how there's a master quest, how the friggin text moves at a rate that doesn't inspire dropping into a coma, but that wouldn't fit your whiny little rant against remakes, would it?
Let me correct you - "a whiny little rant about the idea that making remakes that look and play almost exactly like the original is in any way valid" is more appropriate.

Try out MGS: Twin Snakes - a remake that revamped the graphics from the ground up, introduced new gameplay mechanics (Many MGS2 mechanics such as FPS mode and Hanging Mode, hiding bodies or yourself in lockers, dogtags collecting, Boss Survival Mode etc.) which actually changed the way you played the game, featured an almost completely re-recorded and re-composed music score (everything apart from one song) and re-recorded voice acting. That's a remake. That had a point - it offered the same story in a fresh and exciting new way.

OOT 3D features cosmetic improvements in comparison, it's an HD re-release at best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-