Hacking Torn Between 4.1 and 5.1

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I think the general consensus is that most people will switch to atmosphere as soon as it's ready with a good homebrew XCI loader. To that end, having the dongle would still prove to be useful since you can use any payload you want.
Nope you've given incorrect info. I was told by others that the dongle does indeed come with the license in it, however its only used for a one time activation of SX-OS on your switch then the dongle is only used for launching payloads after that and has nothing to do with that license. Why they dont just email the license is beyond me. Including the license in the dongle is inconvenient.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I think the general consensus is that most people will switch to atmosphere as soon as it's ready with a good homebrew XCI loader. To that end, having the dongle would still prove to be useful since you can use any payload you want.
Have you seen the modchip subsection? You bring up one thing about Atmosphere and you're immediately labeled an Atmosphere fanboy. I know there are some people who don't wanna wait for backup loading and are using SX OS in the meantime. But some users have acted like its a side you pick, like you're either Democratic or Republican. Anyways, the dongle is still pretty useful for those not skilled enough to make one of their own. Certainly beats having to carry a USB cable at all times.

CaptainLoozer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you seen the modchip subsection? You bring up one thing about Atmosphere and you're immediately labeled an Atmosphere fanboy. I know there are some people who don't wanna wait for backup loading and are using SX OS in the meantime. But some users have acted like its a side you pick, like you're either Democratic or Republican. Anyways, the dongle is still pretty useful for those not skilled enough to make one of their own. Certainly beats having to carry a USB cable at all times.
I've been down there, it's much more hostile. It's funny because I ordered two SX Pros and any time I mention anything resembling negative about TX or say a single word about atmosphere and they lose their shit.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been down there, it's much more hostile. It's funny because I ordered two SX Pros and any time I mention anything resembling negative about TX or say a single word about atmosphere and they lose their shit.
That's what I'm saying! In here, people couldn't care less whether you use the dongle, Atmosphere, or both. I go in there and people say "But EmuNAND is useless" or "Look, I can now not get banned with SX because of safe Stock mode". A part of me wants them to get banned so they learn their lesson but my subconscious keeps nagging me and saying "That's not the spirit of GBATemp" (also, tons of people are going to end up asking how to get unbanned)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the licence being locally used (offline activation) means that it can be shared for more than one device!? So giving you the code would be a loss for them.
I don't get what you're saying. One code, one time activation for one system. People who ordered the OS alone are getting their license. I dont see how you can manipulate it. All the dongle does is loads payloads from your SD card. I dont see why they bundled the license with the dongle when it could've been sent.

Dongle= loads payloads
jig= Used to enable RCM
License= Used to activate SX-OS

I don't see what the license has to do with the dongle.

IPLbug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With recent post about updating from 4.1. Does 4.1 is really better than 5.1 in terms of benefits? I have dlc and cant play them but lower is better in terms of hacking. Does warmboot really good to wait? (Well you still need to be in 4.1 to used it and wait for emunand for update). Can't make up my mind. I want the warmboot + emunand but i want to play demos/free games and play my dlc. Not into online multiplayer stuff. This is personal thing but an insights to multiple persons can help me decide. (1st post i hope this is not a stupid one)

The bottom line is just update if you want don't at all if that's your desire.

Buying a system to be shutout of its content to some out weights any future benefits if any exist at the time. On the other hand waiting of something that mite be release god knows when for the sake of ease of use is appealing to others.

Regardless of what you choose there one thing that won't change and that's the chase of being banned will always be higher with softmods vs hardware base mods by a significant margin just by nature of one being persistent will the other is not in this case. Thus ones again the choice is really what your willing to live with down the line banned for software mods(easier to detect but give you ease of use) or hardmods(require you to be tethered to another device but less likely to be detected in this case)

Hondyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With recent post about updating from 4.1. Does 4.1 is really better than 5.1 in terms of benefits? I have dlc and cant play them but lower is better in terms of hacking. Does warmboot really good to wait? (Well you still need to be in 4.1 to used it and wait for emunand for update). Can't make up my mind. I want the warmboot + emunand but i want to play demos/free games and play my dlc. Not into online multiplayer stuff. This is personal thing but an insights to multiple persons can help me decide. (1st post i hope this is not a stupid one)
Well, as for me, i held off onto 4.1 for a long time, was just doing what the devs said but, if you look close to whats going on on the forum, you can quickly find thta its not worth staying on 4.1. the only thing 4.1 will have "SOMEDAY" is the warmboot. So its pretty simple , if you want to use the sx os efficiently, update the switch, if not and you want warmboot that "MAYBE COME SOMEDAY" , stay on 4.1. why I updated? Because of the damn exfat. We ve already got a solution for the fat32 being able to transfer only 4gb, which is splitting the backup you want into some files, but i found it a pain in the a** and the root of the sd would be pretty much a mess having tons of files scattered all over the place. Off course, tx will come with a future solution for this too like the os being able to detect backups at anywhere on the sd but man, exfat ftw, easy, simple, paste and play. Anyway, do what you gotta do

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned before the license of the SX pro Is inside the dongle(I asked because I to was wondering if I can get the pro OS license key per email)

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an SX Pro ordered, there is NO reason to hold off on updating because;
  1. SX Pro works on 5.1
  2. From reading the T-X FAQs, it sounds like emunand is definitely possible, even if you're on 5.1
  3. Nintendo's eShop games (IMHO) are crap and have been available on other platforms for a while. They have no eShop exclusives that are like, OMGZ..........I got to have that!!!!!!!!
  4. An emunand ban equals a sysnand ban
  5. From all the reading I did about how locked down eShop titles are, there is no way (as of right now) to install/use eShop titles or DLC on a hacked Switch. But if there is some major breakthrough that allows the pirating of eShop titles/DLC, I'm sure T-X will implement it. If this new method requires emunand, see point # 2.
  6. If you're on a fw beyond 3.0.2, there is no hope for any sort of cold boot (think Haxchi for the Wii U) hack for your Switch. If your fw is beyond 3.0.2, the best you'll get for a cold boot hack is that self-contained mod chip (SwitchME) from Rebug and that will require some delicate soldering.
Now with Atmosphere, you'll get backup loading eventually and emunand might be ready as soon as Atmosphere is released or that part of it might need more fine tuning and won't be ready to go out of the gate.

The SX Pro rapidly approaching. I'm really curious if Mario Aces and Minecraft (which both release in about a week) will require fw 5.x.

roden

Trophies
XP
Country
So i am confused now, if the key for the SX OS is in the dongle, and you purchased another copy of the OS say for another switch, which i will probally do, how can you activate another if the dongle is linked to one OS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal