Torn Between 4.1 and 5.1

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Harvin26, Jun 12, 2018.

  1. Harvin26
    OP

    Harvin26 Member

    Newcomer
    2
    May 3, 2017
    With recent post about updating from 4.1. Does 4.1 is really better than 5.1 in terms of benefits? I have dlc and cant play them but lower is better in terms of hacking. Does warmboot really good to wait? (Well you still need to be in 4.1 to used it and wait for emunand for update). Can't make up my mind. I want the warmboot + emunand but i want to play demos/free games and play my dlc. Not into online multiplayer stuff. This is personal thing but an insights to multiple persons can help me decide. (1st post i hope this is not a stupid one)
     
  2. nyder

    nyder GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    4
    Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    Most of us are going thru this. Do we wait on the unknown, or enjoy our Switch to it's fullest now? For now, I'm holding off on updating, waiting to see what else gets released and how things are working with SX getting released here shortly.
     
    horokeusama likes this.
  3. Harvin26
    OP

    Harvin26 Member

    Newcomer
    2
    May 3, 2017
    Yeah it's quite unpleasant thinking pros and cons. As there are options like 4.1 atmosphere, 5.1 sx pro, 5.1 jig + mobile. With the lacking of emunand atm even warmboot is released, we still need to stick to 4.1 and stay there until emunand and cant play 5.x games and online functionality.
     
  4. Dvdxploitr

    Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    5
    May 24, 2008
    United States
    Advantages of lower firmware: Higher chance of coldboot

    Advantages of higher firmware: eShop, play latest games, chance of coldboot, but who knows when. However, with AutoRCM, as long as you have an Android phone, computer or the TX dongle nearby you, then you should be fine. Even without AutoRCM, you can still use a jig/paperclip to get into RCM. Just something else to keep up with.



    My advice would be go ahead and update. You can run homebrew on 5.1 (although I don't think everything works, like I couldn't get Doom or Neo Geo Pocket emulator to work, but they could have been updated since I last tried). Is it worth staying on lower firmware for the possibility of a coldboot coming sooner and not being able to play the latest games?
     
  5. MattKimura

    MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

    Member
    8
    Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    You forgot to mention sleep mode, where you don't need to keep redoing RCM. As long as you make use of sleep mode, you keep the payload active. To me that's an effective strategy and pretty much the same as AutoRCM. For AutoRCM you can only charge the system when its on or in sleep mode so I find AutoRCM pretty pointless.

    Personally I'm keeping my Switch on 4.1.0 until I get my hands on TX's OS-SX in 2-3 weeks from now.
     
    valrond and JoeBloggs777 like this.
  6. Unleanone999

    Unleanone999 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    2
    May 15, 2018
    Togo
    If you're buying tx then update since it will still work on 5.1 but if you're on 4.1.0 and waiting for atmosphere then might as well just wait for the cfw then check again your options from there then make your decision.
     
  7. Harvin26
    OP

    Harvin26 Member

    Newcomer
    2
    May 3, 2017
    This is a nice summary. But in the end of the reply made me think hmm . It's general knowledge that cfw is for all FW Versions. So it comes down to which is more convenient to use. Dang i never thought updating in switch is hard. I updated my 3ds with no problem as b9s announced and here i am at switch being torn
     
  8. nWo

    nWo GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    3
    Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    Yes you are right. I'm in the same situation. I really hope that we get some news in the upcoming days because all this trip has been madness. I want to update. But here's my last stand!!! For a couple more weeks anyway.
     
    RealSpyKitty and FahQ like this.
  9. Harvin26
    OP

    Harvin26 Member

    Newcomer
    2
    May 3, 2017
    Indeed. This month is special since it is supposed to be the release date of cfws news etc. If only i bought at launch and have 1.0.0 then deciding factor is not a problem
     
    nWo likes this.
  10. SirNapkin1334

    SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

    Member
    5
    Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Use an SX Pro!
     
  11. Dan-the-Rebirth

    Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    3
    Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    I am too waiting for SX to come out and then I will start playing the older games. Updating can wait... Til let's go comes out xD
     
  12. annson24

    annson24 The Patient One

    Member
    5
    May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    With the current time frame of releases of TX's SX and RS's Atmosphere, I say try to hold it off for a few more days and see what'll happen once those are released. Maybe the initial release of atmosphere will already support emunand, we don't know. But since it's just a few days left, wait just a bit more.
     
    RealSpyKitty likes this.
  13. Stremon

    Stremon GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    3
    Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    Same situation here, but my biggest fear is that the more they keep us waiting, the less chance we have to be able to get access to eshop to get updates and DLC...

    I mean for instance if I update my switch on 5.1 now, and get all the update and DLC, and then a new firmware is released that breaks the homebrews, then I would stay on 5.1 and would still have the stuff I downloaded, and still have some access to the homebrews (not interested in pirating games). But if I stay on 4.1 and the aforementioned firmware gets released, I would probably lose access to those official nintendo stuff as long as they don't find a good eshop spoofing (not sure if it's even possible).

    So yeah the dilemma is real and gets more and more real.
     
  14. netovsk

    netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    5
    Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    TX works on 5.1 so if you don't care about anything other than piracy on the switch you can update and still fully enjoy your console meanwhile if playing online is a thing for you.
     
  15. Robfozz

    Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

    Member
    6
    Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    this is such a good meme
     
    Jimbleton115 likes this.
  16. MattKimura

    MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

    Member
    8
    Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I have to wait an estimated total of 20-30 days to receive my SX-OS since Im a latecomer for ordering one. So in the meantime, I hope a solution for creating emuNAND will happen during that waiting time. Having a clean environment would be ideal while using the other for games and homebrew.
    While I wait, I'm just keeping my Switch on 4.1.0 just for the heck of it since I have nothing to play on it anyways since I Just bought it.
     
  17. DiscostewSM

    DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

    Member
    12
    Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    On 4.1.0 as well, and I've had to pass on playing online with streamer friends because I'm waiting to see what will happen. I ordered the SX Pro, but it will be a while before that arrives. All I know is if I update, then I can never go back.
     
  18. annson24

    annson24 The Patient One

    Member
    5
    May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    Why wait 20 more days, just use your license with SX-OS in TegraRCMSmash(GUI) or NXloader while the dongle is till out for shipping.
     
  19. MattKimura

    MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

    Member
    8
    Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Ah so they ARE going to email us the license code before the dongle and jig arrives by mail. I keep hearing conflicting information so I just skimmed over what people are saying when it comes to that. Looks like I'll have to make a paper clip, then keep my switch in sleep mode until I get my trusty jig and dongle.
     
  20. Nah3DS

    Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

    Member
    10
    Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I'm on 4.1. Currently I don't have any reason to update because all the games run on that firmware.
    But E3 with their free demos and shadow drops could change this.

    My main point of concern is having the best set-up in the future. By that, I mean having just 1 console to do everything.
    1) I would like to have sysnand completely clean so I can play my legit copies online, without the risk of getting banned (not sure how possible the latter may be).
    2) Also have emunand with cfw to run backups and homebrew.
    3) Then Lakka that could be run as an entirely separate OS.

    So, with this kind of setup, booting into different OSes is a necessity. The only advantage of staying on 4.1 I see for this kind of setup, is having the ability to swith to a different OS while being on sysnand. Emunand would be able to do that anyways, but I assume Lakka won't be able to swith to another OS (please correct me if I'm wrong).

    So I'm kind of struggling to see a reason to stay on 4.1, since its only advantage is being able to switch to emunand or lakka.
    Also, in the end, updating sysnand to latest firmware will be the cleanest and safest way of using online with the lowest chances of getting banned.

    I know I will end up moding my joycons, with a propper dpad for the left one, and the magnetic pin bridge mod for the right one. So plugging a USB dongle and choosing which OS I want to run at boot seems like a clean way of doing things.

    Come to think of it, I even use my PC that way... I have 2 separate Windows drives (one for daily use, and another one for audio production) and I choose everytime I turn on my PC.
     
  21. TunaKetchup
    This message by TunaKetchup has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 13, 2018, Reason: please stay civil.
    Jun 12, 2018