Hacking Torn Between 4.1 and 5.1

Harvin26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With recent post about updating from 4.1. Does 4.1 is really better than 5.1 in terms of benefits? I have dlc and cant play them but lower is better in terms of hacking. Does warmboot really good to wait? (Well you still need to be in 4.1 to used it and wait for emunand for update). Can't make up my mind. I want the warmboot + emunand but i want to play demos/free games and play my dlc. Not into online multiplayer stuff. This is personal thing but an insights to multiple persons can help me decide. (1st post i hope this is not a stupid one)

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of us are going thru this. Do we wait on the unknown, or enjoy our Switch to it's fullest now? For now, I'm holding off on updating, waiting to see what else gets released and how things are working with SX getting released here shortly.

Reactions: horokeusama

Harvin26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Most of us are going thru this. Do we wait on the unknown, or enjoy our Switch to it's fullest now? For now, I'm holding off on updating, waiting to see what else gets released and how things are working with SX getting released here shortly.
Yeah it's quite unpleasant thinking pros and cons. As there are options like 4.1 atmosphere, 5.1 sx pro, 5.1 jig + mobile. With the lacking of emunand atm even warmboot is released, we still need to stick to 4.1 and stay there until emunand and cant play 5.x games and online functionality.

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advantages of lower firmware: Higher chance of coldboot

Advantages of higher firmware: eShop, play latest games, chance of coldboot, but who knows when. However, with AutoRCM, as long as you have an Android phone, computer or the TX dongle nearby you, then you should be fine. Even without AutoRCM, you can still use a jig/paperclip to get into RCM. Just something else to keep up with.

My advice would be go ahead and update. You can run homebrew on 5.1 (although I don't think everything works, like I couldn't get Doom or Neo Geo Pocket emulator to work, but they could have been updated since I last tried). Is it worth staying on lower firmware for the possibility of a coldboot coming sooner and not being able to play the latest games?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Advantages of higher firmware: eShop, play latest games, chance of coldboot, but who knows when. However, with AutoRCM, as long as you have an Android phone, computer or the TX dongle nearby you, then you should be fine. Even without AutoRCM, you can still use a jig/paperclip to get into RCM. Just something else to keep up with.

My advice would be go ahead and update. You can run homebrew on 5.1 (although I don't think everything works, like I couldn't get Doom or Neo Geo Pocket emulator to work, but they could have been updated since I last tried). Is it worth staying on lower firmware for the possibility of a coldboot coming sooner and not being able to play the latest games?
You forgot to mention sleep mode, where you don't need to keep redoing RCM. As long as you make use of sleep mode, you keep the payload active. To me that's an effective strategy and pretty much the same as AutoRCM. For AutoRCM you can only charge the system when its on or in sleep mode so I find AutoRCM pretty pointless.

Personally I'm keeping my Switch on 4.1.0 until I get my hands on TX's OS-SX in 2-3 weeks from now.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
If you're buying tx then update since it will still work on 5.1 but if you're on 4.1.0 and waiting for atmosphere then might as well just wait for the cfw then check again your options from there then make your decision.

Harvin26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

This is a nice summary. But in the end of the reply made me think hmm . It's general knowledge that cfw is for all FW Versions. So it comes down to which is more convenient to use. Dang i never thought updating in switch is hard. I updated my 3ds with no problem as b9s announced and here i am at switch being torn

Harvin26

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you are right. I'm in the same situation. I really hope that we get some news in the upcoming days because all this trip has been madness. I want to update. But here's my last stand!!! For a couple more weeks anyway.
Indeed. This month is special since it is supposed to be the release date of cfws news etc. If only i bought at launch and have 1.0.0 then deciding factor is not a problem

Reactions: nWo

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
With the current time frame of releases of TX's SX and RS's Atmosphere, I say try to hold it off for a few more days and see what'll happen once those are released. Maybe the initial release of atmosphere will already support emunand, we don't know. But since it's just a few days left, wait just a bit more.

Reactions: RealSpyKitty

Stremon

Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
Same situation here, but my biggest fear is that the more they keep us waiting, the less chance we have to be able to get access to eshop to get updates and DLC...

I mean for instance if I update my switch on 5.1 now, and get all the update and DLC, and then a new firmware is released that breaks the homebrews, then I would stay on 5.1 and would still have the stuff I downloaded, and still have some access to the homebrews (not interested in pirating games). But if I stay on 4.1 and the aforementioned firmware gets released, I would probably lose access to those official nintendo stuff as long as they don't find a good eshop spoofing (not sure if it's even possible).

So yeah the dilemma is real and gets more and more real.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
TX works on 5.1 so if you don't care about anything other than piracy on the switch you can update and still fully enjoy your console meanwhile if playing online is a thing for you.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to wait an estimated total of 20-30 days to receive my SX-OS since Im a latecomer for ordering one. So in the meantime, I hope a solution for creating emuNAND will happen during that waiting time. Having a clean environment would be ideal while using the other for games and homebrew.
While I wait, I'm just keeping my Switch on 4.1.0 just for the heck of it since I have nothing to play on it anyways since I Just bought it.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I have to wait an estimated total of 20-30 days to receive my SX-OS since Im a latecomer for ordering one. So in the meantime, I hope a solution for creating emuNAND will happen during that waiting time. Having a clean environment would be ideal while using the other for games and homebrew.
While I wait, I'm just keeping my Switch on 4.1.0 just for the heck of it since I have nothing to play on it anyways since I Just bought it.
Why wait 20 more days, just use your license with SX-OS in TegraRCMSmash(GUI) or NXloader while the dongle is till out for shipping.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wait 20 more days, just use your license with SX-OS in TegraRCMSmash(GUI) or NXloader while the dongle is till out for shipping.
Ah so they ARE going to email us the license code before the dongle and jig arrives by mail. I keep hearing conflicting information so I just skimmed over what people are saying when it comes to that. Looks like I'll have to make a paper clip, then keep my switch in sleep mode until I get my trusty jig and dongle.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.1. Currently I don't have any reason to update because all the games run on that firmware.
But E3 with their free demos and shadow drops could change this.

My main point of concern is having the best set-up in the future. By that, I mean having just 1 console to do everything.
1) I would like to have sysnand completely clean so I can play my legit copies online, without the risk of getting banned (not sure how possible the latter may be).
2) Also have emunand with cfw to run backups and homebrew.
3) Then Lakka that could be run as an entirely separate OS.

So, with this kind of setup, booting into different OSes is a necessity. The only advantage of staying on 4.1 I see for this kind of setup, is having the ability to swith to a different OS while being on sysnand. Emunand would be able to do that anyways, but I assume Lakka won't be able to swith to another OS (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So I'm kind of struggling to see a reason to stay on 4.1, since its only advantage is being able to switch to emunand or lakka.
Also, in the end, updating sysnand to latest firmware will be the cleanest and safest way of using online with the lowest chances of getting banned.

I know I will end up moding my joycons, with a propper dpad for the left one, and the magnetic pin bridge mod for the right one. So plugging a USB dongle and choosing which OS I want to run at boot seems like a clean way of doing things.

Come to think of it, I even use my PC that way... I have 2 separate Windows drives (one for daily use, and another one for audio production) and I choose everytime I turn on my PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night