1. momin

momin GBAtemp Regular

Wii/WiiU emulators >>>>>>>>>>>>> Switch.

So sad Switch emulation scene is still on this state.

Goku1992A likes this.
  2. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So completely wrong.

3. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    Slightly strange thing to say. We have all 8/16bit consoles running perfectly, full speed PS1, PSP, N64, Dreamcast as well as work-in-progress DS and 3DS. How does either the Wii or Wii U top that?

People obsess about whether or not emulators are 'standalone'. Retroarch gets a lot of stick for 'killing' standalone emulators, but this is based on the assumption that we might have more standalone emulators if Retroarch didn't exist but there isn't really evidence to support that. Remember how many emulators existed for the 3DS before Retroarch came along? blargSNES, GameYob and that's it. Retroarch kickstarted the scene.

Literally the only reason we have N64, PS1, PSP etc. emulation on the Switch at all is because Retroarch exists (standalone PPSSPP would not exist without the libretro core). People need to understand that not many devs are going to make bespoke standalone emulators for niche hacked platforms. Retroarch gives roughly 50 emulators in one fell swoop.

4. CPG

CPG twat

Canada
    The people behind mednafend: BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE.

5. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I can see the convenience of emulation but ... I’ve always been a fan of accuracy and minimal fiddling

original hardware even if I end up collecting tons of it has always been my preference. And especially hardware that can native play stuff like 3ds having DS and even GBA CPU’s, Wii U having Wii and GC hardware, vita having ps1 and psp hardware, and GBA having GB/C hardware

I get it tho, portability and such. And cost savings.

as someone who has a stock switch it’s interesting to see how the home brew scene has unfolded over the years

Last edited by playstays_shun, Jul 9, 2020
    Prans likes this.
  6. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

To me as well nothing beats the real thing but emulators really help when you can't access your console or are traveling. For some people, certain consoles were never even released in their country back in the days, so it's a whole world of games for them to discover thanks to emulators

Silent_Gunner and playstays_shun like this.
  7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I used to have the same mentality, but nowadays, given the "it just works" nature of RetroArch as opposed to using something like ePSXE+SNES9X+PCSX2 where their reactions to modern controllers, from what I've observed can be inconsistent at best. Sure, one could launch the game through Steam and just remap the controls for the emulator, but the only thing that's absolutely necessary for is if you want to use the SC Gyro with Wii games, something that I never managed to get working on the Dolphin core in RA.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not to mention, it allows people to play games that are practically unobtainable nowadays unless you're Donald Trump. Snatcher? Mega Man 8 US Saturn? Guardian Heroes? I could go on.

Prans likes this.
  8. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I heard it wasn't possible to port Dolphin or Nintendont for the switch due to the lack of hardware and etc.. So the best we are close to getting is the 3DS/DS on the switch if that is perfected then we will have the ultimate handheld experience but IMO the DS is maybe 80% there while the 3DS is around 40% I think it boil down the preference because some people are comfortable gaming on the switch and I know alot of people are iphone users so they are not going to have access to emulators and they have to resort to the switch for the portable gaming experience so as of 2020 the switch is the best portable handheld device. For me personally my Galaxy S10 gives me a better performance than my switch for emulators so I mainly use that. My DS emulator has a built in cheat engine (drastic) and my 3DS Emulator is pretty much around 85% accuracy rate and then to top off the Game Cube and Wii support it is far superior to emulating versus using the switch. So I won't really completely say the emulating is bad on the switch because all the devs are doing the best that they can do. I also have a cable for my phone if I ever want to play it on the TV or monitor but then again my gaming laptop is the king of emulation so I would just use that. But I just don't like retro arch that is just me I appreciate that it does exist but it is too clunky and a hassle to play some games.

9. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Cool stuff thanks :)

x65943 likes this.
  10. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    I keep hearing people say this, but I have never used RetroArch and it actually just work. I still can't get certain games to play, despite hours of figgling, though I can get them to run on standalones, though not perfectly. Most games take a lot of twiddling and fiddling before they run, in my experience. And that's after hours of adjusting settings for each emulator and figuring out the bizarre logic the UI uses. Course I only have experience with the PC and Android version, and it may be more difficult. I guess I just run the most temperamental games and everyone else is just happy with everything else? Always confuses me. I try every few years to tackle the RetroArch problem, but it just never works as good as everyone promises. But yeah, I completely understand not wanting to deal with the massive headache that is RetroArch and just deal with the "it just works" of standalone.

That'd be great, i'm all for that. make things a lot easier.

Last edited by osaka35, Jul 9, 2020
  11. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Psycho!

Mexico
    Guys, this is literally what m4xw does for mupen, flycast, ppsspp, melonds and citra cores, he defaults whatever settings works better for most of the games on Switch hardware, but that doesn't mean that you may still need special configs for certain games.

Silent_Gunner and osaka35 like this.
  12. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    Which is great, but it'd be nice to have those special configs for certain games as well. I apparently am in the habit of always wanting to play those certain games lol.

13. bonoboy

bonoboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it commom that citra crashes randomly when playing a game?

14. Billy Acuña

Mexico
    Based? I'm one of the citra switch testers, IpI by long playthrough sessions (both max cpu and dock gpu clocks) and I would call your claim bs

15. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Are you saying the DS emulator overheats but the 3DS one doesn't?

16. Billy Acuña

Mexico
    No, they perform different, Zelda 3DS games perform better that Zelda DS games while Mario Kart DS runs better than Mario Kart 7 (which is unplayable), melonDS overheats on the CPU while the GPU is barely used, in Citra we are fullspeed ahead with the CPU while it overheats the GPU.

17. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Japan
    One often-overlooked advantage of Retroarch on Switch is updates. As soon as the Switch port of a core goes upstream, the Switch port will forever receive updates from upstream even if there's no Switch-specific development being done. The Switch port will forever keep being updated as long as upstream receives updates.

With standalone cores, we're basically reliant on the developer continuing to update the Switch version of the software, and this won't keep happening forever.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  18. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    ppspp will probably runs at full speed on switch, but I am pessimistic it's the case with Citra. I bet most switch owners still keep their 3DS.

19. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Colombia
    When will there be an official (or unofficial) release of Citra on Nintendo Switch?

20. evertonstz

evertonstz GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Dolphin and Nintendont aren't even the same thing, Nintendont is not an emulator, it's a hypervisor, it uses the Game Cube hardware to run. Dolphin in the other hand is an emulator and as any type of code that's not dependent on certain types of hardware, it's portable, doesn't mean it's easy or even feasible tho, you just need to find someone that will put all the hours to do it for free.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - emulators, Nintendo, Switch