Toad's cranium: hat or head?

toaddd.png

In the latest Super Mario Odyssey Dev. Talk video, producer Yoshiaki Koizumi weighs in on a question that many have been asking themselves ever since they first played Super Mario Bros on the NES and glanced at the pixels that constructed the crude image of Toad on their TV's. And now, after years of wondering we finally have a definitive answer to that long-pondered question...

Is Toad's upper cranium a mushroom-shaped hat or is it in fact part of his head?

Here's what the producer of Super Mario Odyssey had to say on the subject:
So that, as it turns out is actually Toad's head. I'm going to have to leave it to all of you to figure out exactly how that works out. Maybe there’s something inside…

This goes contrary to the time Toad's mushroom was a hat in The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, but now Mario has also spent time meeting and greeting realistically depicted humans in New Donk City who knows what to believe anymore?

So, do you buy the above or are waiting to hear from series creator Shigeru Miyamoto before making any absolute decisions about the anatomy of strange mushroom men in your favourite video game?

:arrow: Super Mario Odyssey Dev. Talk - ft. Mr. Koizumi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Erm...no offense, but your counterargument really isn't saying anything about Toad. I can throw up a plausible theory on Peach*, but that doesn't change or even question anything I said (you can just as well point out that Mario is wearing a hat as an explanation that Toad must be wearing a hat :P ).

EDIT: haven't seen the youtube video (it's blocked here at work), but I assume it has that obscure reference of that cartoon where Toad removes his hat. There's no denying: if that's nintendo licensed, then I've got no answer.

*for those interested: princes and princesses often have arranged marriages outside their own kingdom. That would both explain why Peach isn't having a huge head (she's not a native mushroom) and the name (she's actually married to a certain prince named Toadstool). And, now I think about it, also why nintendo is keeping Peach's other name on low profile: it's not a lousy translation error but hints at the existence of an incredibly lazy-ass mushroom prince who just lets the plumber do all the dirty work. ;)

You are right, the video is from the Super Mario Bros cartoon, and it was licensed and co-written by Nintendo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Super_Mario_Bros._3

Your argument about Toad was 1: he lives in a mushroom kingdom, 2: he is called "toad" short for Toadstool; both apply to Peach as well. I was just pointing that out. :)

If she became a princess by marriage, and there was a Prince Toadstool hanging around, that would mean there's also a King Toadstool as the ruling monarch (otherwise the Prince would get promoted to king). That's a lot of monarchy hiding in the shadows. And I doubt Peach would be all smoochy with Mario if she wasn't single, and that Bowser would be trying to marry her all the time without killing her first husband first.

There's this guy, however: https://www.mariowiki.com/Mushroom_King

This is not a serious discussion I am just having fun here :P

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That picture is... a little gross.

I always thought Toads were wearing hats, based on the animated series. I can deal with the idea of it being part of their heads, I suppose. Just seems strange to me.

Either way, does it actually matter that much? :huh:

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Wall of text here

You attacked me because you single handedly picked my comment to when i was giving an obvious post of opinion, also it kinda almost is face that people play Mario games for the fun factor and not story as it is the same thing all the time, this ain't no Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi where people will play for other reasons and i know were talking about mario games in general as he is a general character and i admit i got that wrong but still the common Mario games people play it for fun gameplay over anything else and that IS fact.

I'm done debating with you, talk as you please, i won't be replying.

Reactions: Jonna

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
You attacked me because you single handedly picked my comment to when i was giving an obvious post of opinion, also it kinda almost is face that people play Mario games for the fun factor and not story as it is the same thing all the time, this ain't no Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi where people will play for other reasons and i know were talking about mario games in general as he is a general character and i admit i got that wrong but still the common Mario games people play it for fun gameplay over anything else and that IS fact.

I'm done debating with you, talk as you please, i won't be replying.
I am sorry you feel this way. I just wanted this topic to be fun with this silly idea that's optional on the front page. Have an awesome day!

Last edited by Jonna,
Reactions: Fusion

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
I am sorry you feel this way. I just wanted this topic to be fun with this silly idea that's optional on the front page. Have an awesome day!

Sorry but i just had to post with a reply like that. The topic is fun but you don't have to be so attached to it and just cause you didn't like my post so much that you had to write me up. Mario games are not played for story ask anybody on that.

Enjoy your day too. Let's end this here after all let's get along since we'r all under the one roof.

Reactions: Jonna

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hat, that's why Princess Toadstool's head isn't freakish despite being the same species and wearing a crown, not a hat so you can see it's not her head.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has it ever occurred that perhaps those hair like structure is actually something else? Like perhaps blood vessels, nerve endings, etc.? Obviously not yet functioning vessels has he would be would be bleeding out profusely.
Perhaps those hair like structure fuses to the hat to become the head and perhaps this "toad" grows from the bottoms up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!