Hacking to patch or not to patch

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I haven't posted much on here but I have been reading a lot and trying to learn more about the backup loaders and whatnot, but I have a question. Not sure this has been answered yet or what, but haven't really been able to find an answer. I use the latest gamma loader, but have read that 1:1 backups should work fine with it. I'm pretty new at this so I made 4 1:1 backups: mario galaxy, metroid prime 3, guitar hero world tour, guitar hero aerosmith. All worked and are playable, then I tried MK: Armageddon. Of course I get to the controller screen and then it goes black. So I searched and it said to patch the game with IOS 249, which I did and the game works flawlessly. Anyway, my question is how do you know when to patch a game?? Is it basically trial and error to see if it works 1:1, and if not try patching to IOS 249?? Can I just patch any game with IOS 249 and will the chances of it working be greater than if I didn't? I'd like to know if there is an answer because I would really hate to constantly burn 2 discs to see if I can get it working. Then you have the compatibility threads, but it seems there are a lot of contradictory statements on if a game works or not.

Also, why does a game that doesn't work 1:1 work with IOS 249?? What is this IOS doing to make it work vs. 1:1

Thanks.

sorry if these are noob questions, but it doesn't seem like I can find any answers to this.

Jedis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure man... I'm using CIOSCORP and have yet to try MK:A. I wonder if it works without modifications with the CIOSCORP? If it does, maybe it's an easier route to go...

Jizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games that require patchintg to IOS249 for gamma do not need patched for CIOSCORP. However, remember that at this time only In Region games run from Disc Channel. Out of Region games you still have to use Gamma. So if you are running CIOSCORP and you have the wrong region game, your better off usually to Region Patch it than IOS Patch it. If you region patch it, it then shows up in Disc Channel and runs from there, meaning it doesn't need the IOS patch.

So General Rule is... (doesn't apply 100% of the time)

If your gonna use Gamma, IOS Patch when necessary. (NFS Undercover, MK Armagedden, etc.)
If your gonna use CIOSCORP, Regioin Patch out of Region Games

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I basically patch all my games to 249. I know it's not necessary, but in 99 of al cases it worked out great for me.
(Except for Bully Scholarship. That one, I couldn't get to work, not the original, and not the 249.
I have a NTSC version converted to PAL (I have a PAL Wii) but I cannot get it to work.
Even with forcing PAL or NTSC...)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bookmark this page:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123...p;#entry1639626

If you have a game which is not listed there, but you can't get it to work, post it there. Please describe the issue you have then as precise as you can, or else i can't help you.

Jizmo said:
The games that require patchintg to IOS249 for gamma do not need patched for CIOSCORP. However, remember that at this time only In Region games run from Disc Channel. Out of Region games you still have to use Gamma. So if you are running CIOSCORP and you have the wrong region game, your better off usually to Region Patch it than IOS Patch it. If you region patch it, it then shows up in Disc Channel and runs from there, meaning it doesn't need the IOS patch.

If your gonna use Gamma, IOS Patch when necessary. (NFS Undercover, MK Armagedden, etc.)

I thought NFS Undercover doesn't need the IOS Version Patch.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Jizmo said:

Starfall is always an option.....

Posts merged

WiiPower said:
Bookmark this page:
[url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123...p;#entry1639626]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123...p;#entry1639626[/url]

If you have a game which is not listed there, but you can't get it to work, post it there. Please describe the issue you have then as precise as you can, or else i can't help you.

QUOTE(Jizmo @ Jan 15 2009, 06:25 AM) The games that require patchintg to IOS249 for gamma do not need patched for CIOSCORP. However, remember that at this time only In Region games run from Disc Channel. Out of Region games you still have to use Gamma. So if you are running CIOSCORP and you have the wrong region game, your better off usually to Region Patch it than IOS Patch it. If you region patch it, it then shows up in Disc Channel and runs from there, meaning it doesn't need the IOS patch.

I thought NFS Undercover doesn't need the IOS Version Patch.
It doesn't if you use the version of gamma with the 002 fix.

spritefreak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to be sure I understand everyone correctly. As long as I am use the gamma launcher, I do not need to patch or change the region on any game.

spritefreak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't have GeckoOS, so does that matter? And as far as games not having to be patched or change the region, can I then play any game through the gamma loader without fear of bricking my Wii?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gamma is a modified Gecko OS. Not all out of region games work fine with Gamma, you'll see when you have a game in black and white.

spritefreak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Gamma is a modified Gecko OS. Not all out of region games work fine with Gamma, you'll see when you have a game in black and white.

And if I do have a game that does not work with Gamma, I may be able to change the configuration of the Gamma Launcher to make it work correct?

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
spritefreak said:
WiiPower said:

And if I do have a game that does not work with Gamma, I may be able to change the configuration of the Gamma Launcher to make it work correct?
Yup by forcing it to a specific video mode, it's in the settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4GojQTu7iI