Tips for making a program?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mastery is an interesting debate. Many would shy away from the term in most professional fields even if they are demonstrably good as there is usually so much else to learn.

Anyway the best learning projects tend to be ones you want to do.

For instance getting me to tabulate sportsball results could be a nice project from a programming perspective -- might have some nice web access, some data manipulation, maybe some database, possibly a GUI, little search and sort aspects of it, possibly an export to image option... but also none of those needing to be done all at once to even have it working. However being sportsball I would have lost the will to live long before then. Do something similar with astronomical charts, materials properties, game scores maybe ( https://towardsdatascience.com/predicting-hit-video-games-with-ml-1341bd9b86b0 ), basically something I actually like, and that is a radically different proposition even if the underlying code requirements were not.

KimKong

Game Developer / Graphic Artist / Musician
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
What exactly do you mean with "any tips on how to get started"...? Are you talking about what kinds of programs to make? Or are you actually asking HOW you start coding a program...?

I would suggest starting simple. Make something you might want to use yourself. Like a simple drawing tool?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're asking this, you're already doing it wrong.

Step 1) Buy a book. The C Programming Language from the Prentice Hall Software Series by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie, for example.
Step 2) READ THE BOOK from start to finish. The book that I mentioned has exercises in pretty much every little section. If you really care about programming, it will take you a good bit to finish the book, because you will have done the exercises.

DON'T GOOGLE THE DAMN ANSWERS (or examples of them).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-