Tiny7 or 7 Home Basic?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by WiiCube_2013, May 4, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    To install Windows 7 on a PC that can't handle too much which one of the two is better?

Tiny7 is a custom stripped Windows 7 version but 7 Home Basic is official with only the very basics but would it be possible that 7 Home Basic is as light as Tiny7?

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I don't do modded Windows installs for anything I want to run regularly. Too much modification most of the time, almost always to things that are useless in most cases but will crash the system fantastically if you try running a program that depends on them. Generally they'll offset your base RAM and HDD footprint and absolutely nothing else useful.

Generally, I'd go with Home Basic or an XP install, maybe some sort of newbie-friendly Linux distro if you're not doing much that really requires Windows.

3. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Thanks, I'll give Home Basic a try.

The only reason why XP isn't a choice is due to being no longer supported.

4. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Agreed with the above here. My experience: those custom versions of windows are complete junk, even if they don't show it right away. I used a stripped 7 once. Worked great for a week, then I went to install something to discover the 16-bit support was missing. Decided to put a game on there, directx had been severely neutered and game kept crashing. Ms word and excel worked but the speech rec. didn't work. Onenote crashed every 5 minutes. Outlook didn't work at all.

Do yourself a favor and forget that those modded versions exist. Not only does it cause headache, there's no way of knowing that the author didn't put malware in it either.

5. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Default is always nice and recommended. That way you won't have a problem troubleshooting in case you encounter upon installing or running some apps.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I always strip down my windows discs, and re-compile them with only the drivers i need, and all current updates. Then after install, I activate 7 with "Windows Loader" by DAZ, and i'm off to ninite.com to install majority of my apps.

osirisjem likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If I strip anything then it is my own work (or more accurately nlite/vlite/MS' own tools and me selecting options), and even then I have. Otherwise my workflow is somewhat similar to JayRo's. Likewise if you are getting it off some shady torrent site then who knows what was done, even if they claim it to otherwise be a copy of a scene release. I can not say I have had a machine compromised like that cross my bench or that I have actually heard of one but it is a real fear in that scenario.

"home basic". Do you mean the actual edition of windows 7? If so it is pretty basic and enough that it would trouble even a normal user (if you somehow magically get the X64 version, it is not retail available after all, then you are still limited to 8 gigs of RAM if some sites are to be believed and you do not have things like internet connection sharing). Some might be more concerned with the loss of the some of the media stuff (nasty old WMP is there but the center and extenders are not) but that is why we have CCCP, XBMC, Tversity and its ilk as well as stuff like VLC. Similarly there is some nice stuff but other than domains it is replicated easily enough and usually for free.

8. WaryLouka

WaryLouka Official Representative of the SuperCard Team

Banned
    Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    NO RECORDS
    I tried to install Windows XP Black Edition once, because it's basically Windows XP ( Honestly my favorite Operating System. I know it's outdated ) and it have drivers included.
    After 2 minutes of use my computer suddenly got a blue screen, and furthermore there was a small amount of incompatible drivers for my system. I switched to Linux ( Xubuntu ) and everything was fine.