Tinfoil Incognito - Failed to write backup cal0 [help]

walterdavid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a modded v1 since say one. Never used emmunand. It wasnt even a thing back then. The backups i have on pc are from when i got the console, 2018 i think, only contain Boot0 Boot1 files. I dont know why, its from a long time ago. So i cant use a full old nand backup.

Since, in 2020 or something, i used incognito via tinfoil. Backed up the original prodinfo via tinfoil app only and never cared to know where this is. I dont plan to go online ever, but it seems fw 17 cannot function well in atsmophere with the incognito turned on.

I still use tinfoil to this day, altough and on the incognito tab it says: clean backup found. i know the password, and no matter what i do i get the error: Failed to write backup cal0.

already set up exosphere.ini on root as in here: https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM#exosphere, it still does not work.

thing is, if you got it right, my only chance of restoring this is via tinfoil. I've searched high and low for an answer. CAN ANYBODY PLS HELP ME?

INFO: I'M ON SYSNAND, exFat32 running system, NO FULL NAND BACKUP(ONLY BOOT1 AND BOOT0 FROM AGES AGO), NEVER USED INCOGNITO_RCM NOR EXOSPHERE. ONLY TINFOIL INCOGNITO VIA ATMOSPHERE.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As @Hayato213 wrote, if you don’t have a Nand backup prior to wiping or a valid prodinfo backup. then you won’t be able to connect to internet on FW 17.00, sadly .
Post automatically merged:

Thats a tough spot. I would probably be going back to 16.1.0
Works on 16.xx, but to access wifi on 17.00, you need a serial number, haven’t tried with fake serial generated by incognito RCM if it works on 17.00 🤔

I will give a try to see if it works. But that’s suppose to downgrade to 16.00 as incognito RCM is not supported on 17.00 yet, and obviously on emunand.

In fact, it does, on 17.00 if your serial is blanked, no way to connect to wifi. works up to 16.00.
Long story, short story : I used incognito.nro like 4 years ago, while on emunand not knowing that it will also blank my prodinfo sysnand (Thanks bloody bastard Blawar). Have a backup of original one before incognito, but in my ex-wife house, 200 hundred kilometers.

Couldn't find a backup of my prodinfo , so many wipes out since, had a rawnand backup from my original sysnand (but with serial blanked). And suddenly , I remenbered that I shared 5 years ago when I first modded my switch, my prodinfo with a friend on discord for testing purpose, and guess what, god bless discord, I found the file I sent via DM to my friend 5 years ago, and with incognito_RCM, everything is back.

The moral of the story : never use incognito, at least the .nro

Rely on atmosphere, keep various backups on different places.

To get your serial back, you need prodinfo.bin backup,(that you can inject with latest release of incignito_RCM up to 16.00) or a rawnand backup (with valid prodinfo) , your keys Biskeydump or Lockpick_RCM, Hacdiskmount or NxNandManager to extract the prodinfo from the rawnand backup and generate the bin to inject.

Ok so accessing internet (browser, youtube, etc...) works on 17.00 with the fake serial generated by incognito_RCM latest release (but you need to be on 16.00 to inject the payload), and then you can go back to 17.00
Tested on my emunand.
If your sysnand is on 17.00 with no valid backup of prodinfo or rawnand before wiping , then no solution AFAIK to get access again on wifi.

If you have an exosphere.ini on the root of the sd, delete it or put blank EmuMMC to 0 , otherwise, launching atmosphere will bring back a temporary blank serial.

Use just DNS MITM

Last edited by Maupiti,

yofecak921

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
you need to allow write to cal0 on sysnand

Code:
[exosphere]
allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc=1

exosphere.ini at the root of sd card

have fun

yofecak921

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
tinfoil writes a backup into an unused part of nand. as evidenced by OP which I assume you have read, tinfoil finds that backup just fine. it just can't write it because writes to cal are blocked.

jeez

1700346662136.png

Reactions: Maupiti and impeeza

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tinfoil writes a backup into an unused part of nand. as evidenced by OP which I assume you have read, tinfoil finds that backup just fine. it just can't write it because writes to cal are blocked.

jeez

View attachment 404919

Technically you can create a backup of prodinfo.bin after the serial number was wiped, so it depends when that backup was from if it was original backup then he get his serial number, if it was backed up after wiping it still be XAW000000000000000.

• Haha
Reactions: Maupiti and impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up