Time Splitters 2 HD Was Cancelled

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Clarky, Oct 2, 2012.

Oct 2, 2012
  1. Clarky
    OP

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    [​IMG]
    Fans have begged for it for years, Crytek have trolled with it for years, but in an interview with Steve Eliis he has revealed at one point while Free Radical were still up and running a HD port of Time Splitter 2 was in the works. He goes on to state "I don't know what happened to that but yes, I'd love to see it released at some point. Maybe it could be the catalyst that is required in order to raise enough interest in TimeSplitters 4 that a publisher might want to fund it." Free Radical unforunatley got messed around in 2008 when Lucasarts cancelled Star Wars:Battlefront 3 due to not wanting to market it and was only saved from bankruptcy after a buy out from Crytek.

source

I know the Time Splitters bit comes and goes like a bad smell but with Time Splitters and Free Radical is always one of those sad stories where a publisher abuses a developer

1 person likes this.
  2. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Memorable quote from TimeSplitters 3 (Also probably a spoiler):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5 people like this.
  3. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Nintendo hey Ninty buy this one too! :D more wiiu exclusives!! XD

Well I never played ts before but ye I am really curious!

4. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Shh, shh, be quiet. Do you hear that? Do you hear that noise?

That's the sound of crushed dreams.

3 people like this.
  5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    This news is more crushing than anything else cancelled in the last 5 years. At least for me. Timesplitters 2 had amazing weapons, memorable maps, and a pick-up and play control scheme that most anyone could understand. Easy to play, difficult to master. And if you couldn't find anyone else to play with, challnge mode was an underrated gem that could kill hours, days or even weeks of your time if you wanted to get gold in every challenge. I found out that this was an actual thing at the same time that I found out it was cancelled. Tis a sad day indeed.

3 people like this.
  6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I've never played a Time Splitters game so I don't have any attachment to the franchise but is this really a big loss? I mean from what I read, it was just going to be a simple HD port.

7. TwinRetro

United States
    Many people consider the Timesplitters franchise to be an upgraded Goldeneye. That's said to be a good thing. With all the multiplayer modes, and the variation of weapons, along with the memorable maps, I would tend to agree with them.

2 people like this.
  8. Clarky
    OP

United States
    Did you ever try Goldeneye? Although Perfect Dark is usually called the spiritual successor of Goldeneye I would argue Time Splitters 2 is one its children too. Despite the idea of it being a simple HD port etc I think some may have preferred that to nothing. What upsets me more is due to Lucasarts playing the role of an arsehole they basically killed Free Radical

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    A) Basically what TwinRetro and clarky have noted. The games were really, really good.

B) We haven't had anything to abate our Timesplitters fix since the last generation. I'll gladly take an HD port over absolutely nothing at all.

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I guess it's time to split the hopes and dreams of their fans.

1 person likes this.
  11. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Nintendo should pick this one up. Can you imagine all the people that would buy a console just for this series to make a return?

I have and beaten TimeSplitters Future Perfect on the PS2, and I have to say, it is one of the best FPS games ever. And with humorous RPG's out there now such as Borderlands, now would be a perfect time for TS to make a return.

2 people like this.
  12. Clarky
    OP

United States
    While I agree with you on this can you imagine the shitstorm it would brew outside the Nintendo club? but yeh, it seems silly that the likes of Crytek still sit on the Time Spliters IP and not use it rather than sell it on and let someone use it

13. TwinRetro

United States
    Honestly I have to agree. Nothing says Hardcore more than a souped up Goldeneye clone. Nintendo would score big to pick this up.

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Microsoft made me buy a Xbox 360 for a Perfect Dark port.

1 person likes this.
  15. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    It wouldn't create any problems. Nobody is willing to pick it up or help get it developed and published. Everybody would be kissing Nintendo's ass for not letting this franchise and bringing it back and saving it. Just like Bayonetta 2. That game would not have been made if it wasn't for Nintendo, Nintendo saved that franchise, and they were genius as fuck to lock it up as an exclusive. If they can do it with a great franchise like Time Splitters, hoooo boy, Nintendo would be on the road to being unstoppable and say "you like games? yeah, we got them you fuckers. HERE YA GO!" and just constantly bring out games that we all want.

1 person likes this.
  16. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    It's my favourite one so far.

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I played a few timesplitters titles but was none too enamoured. I mainly came here to say fans of goldeneye might want to keep an eye on http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/788/ as it is getting pretty good.

I did like Second Sight an awful lot though and I reckon a rejigged version of timesplitters would do well on modern devices.

18. Clarky
    OP

United States
    Good call on Goldeneye X, there is also another rom hack of Goldeneye being worked on, Goldfinger 64, as you could guess by the title its a total convertion. Anywho for Time Splitter fans

"TimeSplitters eh? We'd love to do that one. We love that game." - Crytek producer Peter Holzapfel

keep trolling trolling trolling?

or serious talk?

19. adrian2040

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    I've never played TimeSplitters 3, but it must be good if it made a "Escape from Monkey Island" reference.