time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by VashTS, Jul 31, 2011.

Jul 31, 2011

time for an upgrade by VashTS at 5:12 AM (979 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. VashTS
    OP

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    im looking for opinions, please no fanboy posts "apple rulllleeeezz" or "android suxxxorrsss".

i want some real answers, i can get my upgrade asap, potentially have the phone by next wednesday.

i obviously will be looking to hack it up for all the best stuffs. from what i've read which is not a lot, android seems easier to root than jailbreaking an iphone.

let me know what i should do!???!?!

2. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    Hello my freind. Let me tell you of someone who is a fanboy of both. Android is good but contains a more complex GUI and rooting is not easier than jailbreaking. While rooting may give you more cool things it does not contain the same feeling as a jailbreak with gives your more options. So i would recoment the iphone 4 32 gb. Even though it does not have external memory it does have a better GUI and plays better so easier access to music, movies, games, messaging and more!

3. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    Apple is more limited, and closed (their A4 chip in the iphone 4 is one of the fastest processors for phones like last year or something, very expensive)

Android is more open and they have different versions (different companies offering different specifications, different costs with different models)

4. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    What's your carrier, you obviously won't get an iPhone with certain carriers.

BUUUUUUT IMO.

iPhones have the POTENTIAL to be easier to jailbreak, see jailbreakme.com

But iPhones are stuck at that stock-ish set permanently, and you can't overclock processors, change kernels, usability somewhat stays vanilla.
    Plus, once an iPhone has stopped being supported, you are stuck at that last firmware and can't go anywhere but down. (Try to flash the iPhone 2g with iOS 4/5 I f*cking dare you.). The only exception was a themed 3.1.2 ipsw loaded with apps to give it a pseudo iOS 4 feel...

Whereas Android....
    Can be completely customized from the ground up. (MP3's can be set as ringtones, themes, actual different keyboards, homescreen/launcher changes, just to name a few.) There are many different Android devices to choose from whereas Apple only has the one with "upgrades". Once rooted, Android can be fitted with custom ROMs and kernels that affect battery life, performance, overclocks/undervolts, themes, custom apps, and newer versions of android. Once the device has stopped being officially supported, there is a high chance someone over at XDA has cooked up the latest android version into a ROM for your phone, so they have a longer life, so to speak. The android market also is loaded with apps for rooted phones whereas if you so much as post a screenshot of a jailbroken iPhone Apple will immediately pull your app. [​IMG]

There's quite a bit and it all comes down to personal choice. They are both decent devices though. I have an Epic 4G btw. [​IMG]

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Admittedly I'm a bit of an Android fanboy, but for good reason. Ultimately, I think it's better due to its customisability, its open source nature and the fact it's not a closed system locked to a particular maker (i.e. Apple). I mean, for one thing, if you want to try an app not available on the App Store you would have to jailbreak, while on Android if you want to try an app not on the Market all you do is tick a box. The App Store does have more apps on (it did also get an head start after all), but the Android Market is still getting bigger.
    If you decide to root an Android device you can also choose to install apps such as AdFree to block ad boxes, and I don't believe you can do that on iOS.

Also, widgets.

I'd say as an operating system Android is better, while iOS is just very widespread.

6. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    fix'd [​IMG]

edit: there's also the battery life problem... i can leave my iphone in standby overnight and have lost less than 1% charge. i do the same thing with my crappy motorola xt5 and the battery goes from 100% to like 19% (and don't say that's a hardware thing, it's a software problem)

7. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Looks like it differs phone to phone, I'm having absolutely no troubles here. [​IMG]

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    If you're getting an iPhone, wait for the iPhone 5 (or 4G or whatever the hell it's gonna be). If you're impatient, don't get an iPhone. Final answer.

If you're getting an Android, wait for the Samsung Galaxy S II to be released in your area (if it's not already available).

And I'll have to disagree with your rooting is easier than jailbreaking comment. It took me hours to get my phone to a fully rooted and able to flash whatever ROM I want state, simply because there's so many Androids out there, and not all of them are rootable either(like my dad's phone [​IMG]).
    Jailbreaking an iPod touch took me like an hour first try because the instructions I was following(here on the temp) were out of date (getting it into the proper mode for loading the jailbreaking files took forever because of this) but after that it was smooth.

9. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Personally I'd recommend Android, simply because of the list of things you can do that the iPhone cannot. The way Apple markets their devices may make them seem particularly appealing, but they all pale in comparison nowadays to the high-end Android devices that are available. Plus, the amount of customization and freedom you get from Android before even rooting gives you a lot of flexibility to do whatever you want with your phone. I'd go for an Android phone, and pick up one of the newest devices that may boast powerful dual-core processors.

10. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    i'd just like to echo tehskull, either wait for the next iphone (getting announced soon) or the galaxy S II variant for your carrier

and just so you know, the battle isn't apple vs. android, it's the iphone vs. whatever android handset, because different android handsets vary in quality, and when u get a cheap android piece of junk and think android is crap because of it, it's your fault for getting that crap, not android's fault for sucking on that piece of junk

what carrier are you on? im assuming either at&t or verizon because you're considering the iphone, but if you do tell it would help us pinpoint the best phone on that carrier at the moment

also, pretty much what he said, rooting is different for all devices, for some there are 1 click root methods, for others you have to dive into ADB and do some foolery, and for some phones there just isn't a root method yet

11. Odanhammer

Newcomer Odanhammer Member

Canada
    Problem comes down to two choices.
    Iphones are decent and usually people fall in love with them IF they don't know much about phones.
    My 3 year old plays games on my iphone 4 , its that easy to use.
    HOWEVER, if you research an android phone and get a GREAT one its far better then any iphone.

Example , Xperia play , my current phone , i love that thing , its not the most powerful phone on the market , but it works very well , the game controller is great for old school emulators even up to n64 era and you can download apps for free and click a button to allow any app to run to get free apps.

Using an Iphone afterwards is like dealing with a physical challenged person , you just feel bad.

12. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The way I see it, iPhone is better than the lower end Android market, but the high-end Android market leaves iPhone in the dust. Then again, it also depends on if you prefer iOS or Android, and the apps that come on each.

Re: Battery power, all smartphone batteries aren't that great (compared to non-smartphones). iPhone and Android smartphones alike will drain their battery after a few hours of constant use (e.g. gaming, internet, etc). It's the cost of trying to squeeze more power out of a hand-held device.

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i haz best of both worlds [​IMG] ipod touch 4g and android phone [​IMG]