Moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys..

I'm unsure of whether or not this is a virus, but a file called "Thumbs.db" keeps on appearing in my folders. And when I delete it, it reappears roughly 6-7 seconds later. Does anyone know what this is?

I know that Thumbs.db is some kind of system file, but I don't think it's supposed to be cloning itself. I've found it in folders on my desktop, in my USB, on my microSD card... so if you can help me, or know what this problem is, or even have a suggestion, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Javitud

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not a virus. Thumbs.db is a file generated by Windows whenever there is an image file in your folder. It's used with the Thumbnail view found in the View menu on the top of Windows Explorer. It's completely harmless other than the fact that those files take a negligible amount of space, but there is an option to disable Windows from creating thumbnails.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's a file that Windows generates automatically. It's a cache of the thumbnail images Windows generates for the thumbnail folder view (the default veiw for any folder than contains only images). If you really don't want the file coming back you can disable thumbnail caching in the Windows Explorer/My Computer options, though that will slow things down if you actually use the thumbnail view.

remixer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its a system file that is an index of the images in that folder. if you have Jpgs/bitmaps there will almost always be a thumbs.db .. if no images then usually not.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Deleting it will not cause anything bad to happen, just makes the image preview show up slower as far as I know.

Hehe Moo

Moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see... I ticked the "Do not cache thumbnails" option and i deleted the Thumbs.db file.

Thanks a lot Destructobot, and anyone else who helped me with this problem ^^ You guys really know your stuff.

(does this mean this thread can be closed now..)

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the topic hijack but this is relevant (sort of).

Would anyone happen to know how to change the thumbnail for movie files? I'm sick of some of them being black (0:00).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1