This Week in Reviews #3

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before we enjoy our Thanksgiving holidays (in the US at least), we've got this week in reviews.

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

Guild's Take: I've never really liked Donkey Kong Country myself but it feels like everyone else does. I was expecting high reviews for this game, I'm just not expecting myself to be enjoying it that much unless they made it like Jungle Beat.

The Scores:
+Nintendo Power: 7.5/10
+Nintendolife: 10/10
+Destructoid: 10/10
+1UP: 10/10 (A)
+Game Informer: 9.5/10
+IGN: 9/10
+Eurogamer: 9/10
+GameSpy: 7/10

Metascore: 89%

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (Wii)

Guild's Take: Unsurprisingly, this Wiimaging of Ghost Recon is rather dismal, with reviews citing poor AI, boring level design, and terrible visuals as just a few of the many issues with another unsatisfying Wii spinoff.

The Scores
+Gamespot: 6/10
+Game Informer: 4.5/10
+Eurogamer: 3/10
+IGN: 3/10

Metascore: 39%

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS)

Guild's Take: For what seems to be "just another" Mario vs. DK game, it's been getting surprisingly good reviews, maybe even better than the first DS iteration of the series. I have yet to play it but I'll be sure to check it out soon.

The Scores
+IGN: 9/10
+Game Informer: 8.3/10
+Eurogamer: 8/10
+Gamespot: 8/10
+ Destructoid: 7/10

Metascore: 80%

Sonic Colors (DS)

Guild's Take: While I did the reviews for the Wii version of Sonic's big game this year (outside of Sonic 4), the DS reviews have just started finally flooding in, so don't blame me for bringing you these reviews a little late. Regardless, having played this, it feels like a mixture of classic Sonic, Sonic Rush, and Sonic 4. That's not a bad thing in my book. Sonic purists will probably cry like they always do, but people who just want a good Sonic game should look no further... Unless they just want the Wii version too.

The Scores
+Destructoid: 8.5/10
+Official Nintendo Magazine UK: 8.5/10
+Game Informer: 8.5/10
+IGN: 8.5/10
+Nintendolife: 8/10
+Nintendo Power: 7.5/10

Metascore: 80%

Special: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Xbox 360/PS3)

For this special, I'll round up the reviews of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, the newest iteration of the popular parkour/assassin hybrid and comparing it to the last two Assassin's Creed games. Seeing as the series has seen a monumental improvement from the first game to the second game, it's nice to compare how the second game measures up to the next game in the series (although it could be considered a spin off).

Guild's Take: Having taken a liking to the last two Assassin's Creed games (even the first, although it wasn't spectacular at all), I'm eager to try this one out. The big factor here is multiplayer, which is something completely new for the series and sure to be a new take on multiplayer gaming altogether.

Xbox 360 scores
+Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: 90%
+Assassin's Creed II: 90%
+Assassin's Creed: 81%

Playstation 3 scores
+Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: 91%
+Assassin's Creed II: 91%
+Assassin's Creed: 81%

Notice: The PC version is not out until the first quarter of 2011, so don't expect it to be on the list until then

GBAtemp Reviews

+Joe88's PS3Go GT-Break Review

Unfortunately there haven't been many user reviews submitted this week. My Epic Mickey review will be on next week's TWIR, so don't worry. I've just been looking into every nook and cranny of it.

Any problems that wouldn't be worth posting here? Send me a PM and we'll discuss the issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: