Thinking of soft/hardmodding my ps2

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by boktor666, Aug 27, 2011.

Aug 27, 2011
  1. boktor666
    OP

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    So, read the title and stuff. It explains what I want to ask. I currently have a ps2 fat and slim, this fat of mine is like really old, so I want to use it as a hacked console (not my slim, since its still working great, and the FAT has the reader scratching issue).

So, now for the questions:

-What's better, hard or softmod, or are there better ways?
    -How do I install the hack? I mean, I have seen something about softmodding a ps2 in a sticky, but I really can't puzzle that guide together, have read it, and it's amazingly weird.
    -Where do i get "le Pieces" of stuff i need.

So what DO i have? A retail ps2 8mb memory card, Fat ps2 with all the working stuff attached, and a 8GB sandisk cruiser USB device.

Can somebody help me out on this one?

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    A suggest softmodding with FreeMCBoot. You'll need a copy of a certain game, I suggest 007 Agent Under Fire, and you need to be able to do the swap trick.

3. boktor666
    OP

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    So explain, what is this. FreeMCBoot sounds like a program, but the game sounds like a problem. Are there other ways (like easier ways)

4. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    While it would require extra hardware, I would recommend a network adapter and hard drive. That way, you can continue to use the system no matter how bad the laser is.

FreeMCBoot is software that is installed to the memory card (I used ARMax to do this, but you can use several different methods to do so, or just send it to someone else to do that) and will start when you turn on your PS2. It will add several options to the main menu, that will boot homebrew software like OpenPS2Loader (hard drive software to run games) or uLaunchELF (a file browser which you can use to back up saves or run homebrew not on the menu).

5. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    All you really need to hack it is a Memory Card, USB Stick, and depeding on which method of installing you want to go by, either a cheat disc like AR MAX, a backup disc like Swapmagic, or a modifyed dvd backup of a exploitable game, like 007 Agent Under Fire.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Here
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=292229&hl=

7. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Theres also a new way involving a ps3 memory card adapter and a PC. I have tested it it works pretty good.

8. relminator

Member relminator GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    If you know someone who has the same ps2 phat region as yours and it's modded (soft/hard), you can use that ps2 to install FMCB to your MC. That's what I did myself.