Hacking Thinking of Hacking vWii

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Since vWii now offers mirroring, I'm thinking of hacking my Wii via Smash Stack but I have a few questions:
1. Does the transfer tool still work if you have a hacked Wii?
2. Can I restore the Wii to an old Nand dump to retain saves?
3. Anyone having issues with WiiMC via mirroring?
4. Any other major issues I should be aware of (which aren't in the stickies or obvious e.g. ban hammer)?
5. Does the Lovefilm/Amazon video app work if manually installed (it's not on the shop channel)?
6. Any issues with the PAL Smash Stack port?

The main reason I'm thinking of hacking vWii is because of WiiMC to stream from an smb server or computer so any alternatives (either homebrew or otherwise), for example, in the past I've used orb but that's since shut down.

Thank you.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really can't answer any of the other questions, but the answers to the first two questions are yes. I was able to transfer all of my Wii data from the Wii to the Wii U even though my Wii was hacked with the Homebrew Channel and BootMii, along with the Wii U already having the Homebrew Channel on it. Also, after I was done transferring everything from the Wii to the Wii U, I was also able to use a BootMii NAND backup to restore my Wii NAND to its previous state. I made a NAND backup right before starting the transfer process.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you restore a previous NAND backup, DO NOT open the shop channel EVER. It will erase all the games that were transferred to the Wii U. I had to restore my NAND backup again as opening the shop deleted all my legit VC/WiiWare.
since I have a NAND backup with the shop channel on it, I uninstalled the shop channel via Any Title Deleter so it would never accidentally happen again.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, how long ago did you transfer it? Just want to make sure that Nintendo haven't updated it since.

since I have a NAND backup with the shop channel on it, I uninstalled the shop channel via Any Title Deleter so it would never accidentally happen again.

While it's doubtful you'd ever want to do it, another option is to reinstall the shop channel via dop-mii.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to the time-stamp on the NAND backup that I still have on my computer, I did it in late April. I know that there have been some new Wii U updates recently, but I haven't kept my console up to date, so I can't say if Nintendo has changed anything or not. I can't imagine that you would have any problems transferring Wii information to the Wii U though, even if you have the Homebrew Channel on the Wii U. Just to make sure, you might want to wait for someone else to answer, though.

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Since vWii now offers mirroring, I'm thinking of hacking my Wii via Smash Stack but I have a few questions:
1. Does the transfer tool still work if you have a hacked Wii?

Thank you.

So, I did a vWii hack.
And I Wanted to transfer all my saves from a hacked Wii..
I thought i would get brick on both,
But all of it worked.

The short answer: yes you can.

BTW It didn't move any of the vc/wiiware saves i have from installed wads.

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, for now I'm just trying WiiMC and so far I'm impressed so it's tempting to say the least.

One other question though, is the VC upgrade program still going on?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
4. Any other major issues I should be aware of (which aren't in the stickies or obvious e.g. ban hammer)?
5. Does the Lovefilm/Amazon video app work if manually installed (it's not on the shop channel)?
6. Any issues with the PAL Smash Stack port?

The main reason I'm thinking of hacking vWii is because of WiiMC to stream from an smb server or computer so any alternatives (either homebrew or otherwise), for example, in the past I've used orb but that's since shut down.

Thank you.

4. I'd say no, the guys maintaining the stickies on here have done a great job in all honesty - as long as you follow their instructions/heed any warnings you should be fine!
5. .....not sure why you'd want this app in vwii when it's available in Wii U mode, unless you're not using an HDTV (even then it's only a couple of seconds switching over to Wii U mode) - I can only assume you'd have no problems with it then....
6. No problems for me! I recently did my kid bro's using Smash Stack (did mine with Bathaxx - sp? - prior to that) and it worked a charm!

Can't help you with WiiMC sorry, got my 360 hooked up to my network (and an ext hd) so use that instead.
The VC upgrade program is still going on, and most likely will continue to do so too, however, there may be a chance we could see Wii U Gamepad controller support in Wii mode in the near future (hey, we can only hope!), so if that happens you'd be kinda wasting your money - if you've got a big selection of purchased VC games, maybe just upgrade a couple of your faves and save your money (don't forget we've only got NES & SNES VC in Wii U mode at the moment too...)

tech3475

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
4. I'd say no, the guys maintaining the stickies on here have done a great job in all honesty - as long as you follow their instructions/heed any warnings you should be fine!
5. .....not sure why you'd want this app in vwii when it's available in Wii U mode, unless you're not using an HDTV (even then it's only a couple of seconds switching over to Wii U mode) - I can only assume you'd have no problems with it then....
6. No problems for me! I recently did my kid bro's using Smash Stack (did mine with Bathaxx - sp? - prior to that) and it worked a charm!

Can't help you with WiiMC sorry, got my 360 hooked up to my network (and an ext hd) so use that instead.
The VC upgrade program is still going on, and most likely will continue to do so too, however, there may be a chance we could see Wii U Gamepad controller support in Wii mode in the near future (hey, we can only hope!), so if that happens you'd be kinda wasting your money - if you've got a big selection of purchased VC games, maybe just upgrade a couple of your faves and save your money (don't forget we've only got NES & SNES VC in Wii U mode at the moment too...)

Thanks.

The main reason I'm looking into this is because I have my Wii U gamepad charger/stand next to my computer so if I'm working on it I can still watch something but then if I'm done seamlessly switch to my TV, this is why I'm also interested in Lovefilm on it as the Wii U version requires you to switch screens and doesn't sync the menu location when you do (it's a minor annoyance but still...).

I also only have a few VC games but I have some Club Nintendo points left that I could buy VC games with to save money, it was just something I'm thinking about.

off topic but what do you use on your 360?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks.

The main reason I'm looking into this is because I have my Wii U gamepad charger/stand next to my computer so if I'm working on it I can still watch something but then if I'm done seamlessly switch to my TV, this is why I'm also interested in Lovefilm on it as the Wii U version requires you to switch screens and doesn't sync the menu location when you do (it's a minor annoyance but still...).

I also only have a few VC games but I have some Club Nintendo points left that I could buy VC games with to save money, it was just something I'm thinking about.

off topic but what do you use on your 360?
Ahhh, yeah I can see your point now with Lovefilm ;)

Regarding the 360, I just use the system video player to watch my downloaded films on the TV, be that streaming from computer or using the hard drive. I mainly prefer to watch HD versions too coz I'm a snobby sod like that hehe, so WiiMC doesn't get a look in there... like you say though, using the Gamepad screen is a different matter entirely - I've only thought about using it for gaming until you mentioned that, gonna have to have a look into it myself now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1