thinking of getting a psp

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by eddzy, Mar 8, 2009.

Mar 8, 2009

thinking of getting a psp by eddzy at 5:01 AM (1,990 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. eddzy
    OP

Newcomer eddzy Advanced Member

Australia
    hey guys, im really considering getting a psp as im a fan of rpgs and it has a few good ones (star ocean, final fantasy 1 & 2, crisis core ect...) and i was just wondering if the psp is worth getting? is it easy to use and to run homebrew or psp isos on the actual psp? do they screw up alot or are they pretty good? also which model should i get? thanks for your time and answers [​IMG]

2. ladieslovelopez

Newcomer ladieslovelopez Newbie

United States
    you should DEFINITELY get a psp. the homebrew is great and once u get CFW its a blast. [​IMG]

3. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    is it more worth to download the games or buy them? money doesnt grow on trees hahaha. also i hear you can put psx games on the psp? are there easy to understand guides to do this?

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    firstly GAME COST MONEY Vs GAME FREE which would you pick [​IMG]

yes you can play PSP games and yes their are guides!

lastly read the sticky posts in the main PSP section it will tell you ALL you need to KNOW [​IMG]

5. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    You SHOULD buy a PSP now, because of PSX games and all the awesome new games (Dissidia, Patapon 2, PS:P etc)

6. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    are all psp slim ones hackable ? or what about the newer psp-3000 ?

7. kobykaan

United Kingdom

no not all slims older 2000 models and some LTD EDITION ones are hackable .... some newer 2000 and almost certainly the 3000 are NOT hackable for Custom Firmware!

all PHAT PSP's are HACKABLE and are no doubt the cheapest option if your not bothered with what PSP you get and one one that's 100% hackable [​IMG]

8. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    oh ok i like the sound of the slim one because its got double the ram but would the new ones sold in the shops be the newer ones? does the ram make much difference? also is it complicated to hack them? or once you know what you are doing is it easy just like the ds? thanks heaps everyone for all your great answers btw!

9. kobykaan

United Kingdom

All new ones in stores will be 3000 SLIM N LITE these for CFW and GAMES in CSO/ISO format are NOT POSSIBLE!

I have a PHAT and it runs ALL CURRENT released PSP games with no issues.... and ALL homebrew and ALL PSX games!

SLIM has TV OUTPUT and 32MB extra ram but TV out is only available for PSP games!

I'm not sure what games actually use the extra ram specifically and only a few homebrew afaik can or do use it!?

as above read the STICKIES it has all this information in there [​IMG]

10. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    oh ok then, so my best option would be to get a second hand psp "phat". also by saying all psx games does that mean i could play all 4 discs of final fantasy IX ? cos if i could play that in my hands that would be pretty cool!

11. kobykaan

United Kingdom
    yes you can play multi disk PSX FF games on PSP [​IMG]

there's an option to swap disks when you get to that part in the game ... read up on it in Google ... its best to get a pre made version then you will know it works ... again GOOGLE is your friend don't ask here for them! [​IMG]

12. eddzy
    OP

Australia

cool. wasnt asking for the game as i actually own it but yeh. ok google is actually my best friend haha! thank u so much for the help and yeah im pretty sure ill go get a psp phat on tuesday or a mate of mine was selling ill get his if he still has it! really keen. is dissidia final fantasy out yet?!?!?

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I'm not going to answer the warez end of that other than saying the 3K model line is off grounds as I think the hardware deserves some support considering what it can do natively already.

Anyways, as far as RPGs go I want you to keep this in mind, NO region coding. Yes Japanese stuff unless you know it is pointless, but you can easily look to anywhere that has english included on the games. I see you're from down under so you have some really good options outside of your region between the USA and Europe. I see you noted Star Ocean(1 and 2 exist) and both of the Final Fantasy classics including the non-RPG(it's an action game) Crisis Core. Did you know that if you check online the highest rated RPG for the system was actually Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny 2) released in the EU region? The game I got out of dumb sheer luck at a used/new book store that takes in games too and it wasn't anymore costly than a local title on the high end($40 but I had credit so it was 24.) It's a fantastic game I think you'd get a real kick out of and it'll last 20-30 hours. As far as RPG or rpg-like (action rpg, strategy rpg, etc) there's over 100 listings at gamefaqs.com which you can check here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/cat_48.html But as far as recommendations those you already listed, the 'Tales of...' games, Mana Khemia, Ys and the Monster Hunter titles I think you'd find worth researching.

14. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    oh ok thanks alot! im pretty sure australia gets the EU reigon anyway. but with CFW does psp become reigon free? so if i obtained a usa iso it would play on my what would be EU (PAL) psp?

15. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    PSP games are always region free.

16. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    so even if i imported one its reigon free? the movies aswell ?

17. kobykaan

United Kingdom

If your planning on hacking it then would be pointless importing games or movies when you can obtain them by other means anyhow [​IMG]

18. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    true that!! thanks u guys for all ur advice. i called up a place today and told them to call me whenever a second hand psp comes in (they get at least 3 a week they reckon) so hopefully soon i'll be enjoying the psp! do you know where i can get cheap pandora battery and a pro duo adapter for micro sd cards? i had a look on ozmodchips.com but they charge AU$40 for the battery and AU$21 for the adapter so yeah, if you could point me in the direction of some trust worthy sites that are inexpensive and ship to australia and don't take too long ? thanks again u guys really appreciate it!

19. kobykaan

United Kingdom

Deal Extreme are very cheap and you can get a PANDORA+Pro duo me card pretty cheap (I got the 2gb bundle as some people had issues with 4gb cards not being able to mod the psp) ... I also bought an 8gb for more storage.. I just keep the 2gb set up for modding purposes [​IMG]

delivery takes about 2 weeks (free delivery too) ...which is great if your going to have to wait about 3 weeks anyhow [​IMG]

the savings are worth the wait [​IMG]

meantime read all the FAQ and stickies in the PSP section on how to make a magic mem stick ...oh and make sure you get a usb cable for the PSP they sell those on Deal Extreme too [​IMG]

20. eddzy
    OP

Australia
    what type of connection does the psp use? is it a special 1 or is it just that smaller usb that alot of products use? because if its that one i already have the cord frm my motorla v3 mobile