Hacking Homebrew thinking of getting a psp slim

Seccom Masada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It wouldn't be that much; I ended up getting a composite cable, screen protector, case, etc.

...$170/200 console, depending (I got the cheaper black one without the extra stuff), 40-50 for a 4gig to actually put stuff on.
$25 for the Datel Tool (if you can find one, as mentioned in the other thread), like 10 bucks for a smaller stick to put your magical, magical files on (if it didn't come with the console). Not including shipping. Alright, still up there, but, uh... it's both slim AND lite. Yeah.

You could also circumvent fucking and just find someone trustworthy to work the slim for you, and pay shipping/nothing, and a mem stick.

Also, you might want to look around and double-check that this is mac compatible, I knew more about PSPs a few weeks ago than I know about Macs now.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the only way you could get a Slim hacked for $220 or less is:

A. Buy one already modded off eBay.
-or-
B. Buy a new one, and find someone with a hacked phat PSP that'll be willing to do the whole pandora thing to yours for $20 or less.

I just added up my costs (some optional though, such as 4GB stick, extra phat battery for pandora, etc) and my total cost came out to $377. Not including my problem with Datel.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could also circumvent fucking and just find someone trustworthy to work the slim for you, and pay shipping/nothing, and a mem stick.
Ahem, Shameless Plug!
wink.gif

[Modded G-man's PSPhat as well as Samutz's Slim, however I didn't pay shipping and requested a little extra for compensation
yaypsp.gif
]

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
would you buy a psp slim, and do the pandora thing then, i would pay for shipping, the psp and memstick?
if yes, I would think about sending it, if that is the last option

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would you buy a psp slim, and do the pandora thing then, i would pay for shipping, the psp and memstick?
if yes, I would think about sending it, if that is the last option
That's quite a pretty penny there, I would require you to send the money to me (don't do PayPal, srry) and then I would use that to purchase everything on that list. I could then open up the packaging, mod the Slim, and ship it off to you.

Of course, I'd still like a little something extra for compensation.
wink.gif

Let me know if you're interested, or drop me a PM
happy.gif

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
on the psp slim a lot of homebrew doesn't work. unless you wanna wait until everyone updates their programs and emulators, get an old PSP. and the tvout for games doesn't work on tvs without progressive scan. Games will load faster on the new one, but since you wanna use ISOs you won't notice a difference, extra RAm works for UMDs only not memory stick.

n45800

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what PSP you really want. If you want a fat PSP, you can downgrade it to 1.50 and play all PSP homebrew, and some runs a bit faster (ME{Media Engine} support, used in certain emulators and such).
If you want a Slim PSP, you can plug the video out into a TV, it is lighter, much faster load times and web browsing speed, USB charging, you can have silver and white as well as black, and more efficient battery wise (it lasts as long as a fat psp since it has a smaller battery, but you can use a fat psp battery in a psp slim and it will work at a longer charge, but the door won't fit). Not all homebrew will be supported at the moment though (Slim PSPs cannot run firmware below 3.60, and cannot run firmware designed to only run on 1.50)

If you want a Fat PSP, buy one at any store, and get a copy of lumines (1, not 2), as well as a memory stick pro duo (at least 64 meg, less than 8 gig). It should ship with firmware 3.50 or lower. You can use a flaw in the lumines save file routine to downgrade the firmware to 1.5 and go from there.

If you want a slim PSP, you should do what I did. Get a used fat one to make the battery and the slim to hack, then revert/return the fat one. Go to GameStop (or similar store) and buy a used fat PSP, ask if you can look at it before you buy it for a minute or two. Turn it on and check the home screen and go to the far left icon (settings), then go down to System settings, then System Information (2nd from bottom). Check the version. If it says anything besides the version number (such as 3.71 M33-2, or 3.30 OE) is already hacked and includes everything you need. Buy it and go. If it says 3.50 (or lower), without ANY extra letters, it is hackable using the Lumines exploit, get it with a copy of Lumines 1 and go. If it is 3.70 or 3.71, it is NOT hacked and would require a pre-made pandora battery, therefore being useless for you. Once you get a hacked PSP fat, you can hack the slim. You should check to be sure that the battery is made in china as well (made in japan is newer and does not work with pandora).
You should now buy the PSP Slim. If you want a black or white psp, you can buy it at most stores. If you want a silver PSP, register at the cheapassgamer.com forums and check the Video Game Deals forum, look through a few pages and you will find a thread about the slim PSP selling for 169.99 at target. It was a misprint, but you can get a screenshot of the page in the first post. You can bring that picture to Circuit City or Best Buy and have them price match it. This is probably the best option since it costs as much as a black PSP slim (which comes with nothing besides the system), but you also get a copy of Daxter and a Best of Family Guy disk, as well as a 1 Gb Memory Stick. If you get a black PSP, be sure to get a memory stick as well since it doesn't include one. (must be a memory stick pro duo between 64Mb-8Gb)

To do the actual hack, you run a app on a hacked PSP (USING THE FAT PSP BATTERY!!), put the battery and memory card in the slim, run it, and it will install 3.71 M33-2. Then put the battery back in the fat PSP and reset it, and return it. I'll post more info on this step later.

Edit: You will also need a USB A - Mini USB cable, or a Memory Stick Pro Duo Reader, I HIGHLY recommend the cable since you can do a lot more stuff with it (run ISOs directly off of your OSX HD, etc.), and it's much easier to attach the cable than removing/reinserting the card over and over.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So this is what i should do-
1)Get a used fat psp, has to be pre-hacked or under version 3.50
2)if under 3.5, buy lumies 1
3)do the lumies exploit (can be done with mac?) to make pandora things
4)buy slim
5)run the intallation software on the slim with the pandora batt.
6)return fat
7)play games!

Im very unsure about the making of the pandora battery, and what lumies does.

The money i need will be around 370$ i guess.
169.99 slim
around 125.00 for fat
20.00 for battery

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't.

Get the regular instead, a lot cheaper, a lot prettier and 1.5 compatible.
Truly, I did get a Slim, now I regret it.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't.

Really? I liked the slim that my friend showed me. Lighter, the screen looks crisp, the extra RAM leaves a lot of room for further improvement to homebrews i.e. buffering for PimpStreamer, faster emulators.

n45800

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So this is what i should do-
1)Get a used fat psp, has to be pre-hacked or under version 3.50
Close, has to be 3.50 OR lower, if it 3.71, then it currently cannot be hacked without pandora.
2)if under 3.5, buy lumies 1
3)do the lumies exploit (can be done with mac?) to make pandora things
Again, if 3.5 or lower, and read here for more info... It does work on a mac since all your doing is copying files onto a USB device (memory stick).
You will use the exploit to install a hacked firmware on your PSP, then you make the battery using a program with the custom firmware.
4)buy slim
5)run the intallation software on the slim with the pandora batt.
6)return fat
Don't forget to reset the battery to a standard battery
wink.gif

7)play games!
Correct!
Im very unsure about the making of the pandora battery, and what lumies does.
Check youtube for quite a few videos on how to make the battery, as for Lumines. Lumines is a fun puzzle game that was one of the first PSP games released, People experimented and found there was a flaw in the Load Saved File code that lets you run custom code on the PSP without having hacked it. Therefore, you could run a downgrader on the PSP that would revert it to 1.50, which was much easier to run custom apps on.
The money i need will be around 370$ i guess.
169.99 slim
around 125.00 for fat
20.00 for battery

Take out that extra 20.00 for battery, you can most likely (99.9%) use the one that comes with the fat PSP.
But you definitely cannot use the one that comes with your slim PSP. (unless you are willing to tear it apart and use a soldering iron)

You will also need a USB to Mini USB cable (or a memory stick pro duo reader, but the cable would be MUCH better, you may already have one though)

Don't.

It is cheaper, and arguably prettier, but the PSP slim is smaller/lighter, better battery, tv out, much faster load times, USB charging, and faster browsing.

Most modern hacks are slim-compatible. DGEN, snes9xTYL, and many others are working perfectly fine.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
I'd say get a slim. It's thinner, lighter, and supposedly has a much better d-pad (which is great if you love fighting games). All of the great old homebrew will either be ported over or remade so you won't have to worry about that. There are also at least 3 different colors to choose from. Honestly black is such a boring color and the old d-pad was so crappy that it just pissed me the hell off. I've already sold my old PSP a while ago and I'm gonna get a white slim later.

EDIT: Oh and as a bonus, you get TV out.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The slim is far better than the regular PSP. Get one. I am going to exchange mine out for another one in a hour or so, as it has a dead pixel, but other than that it is fantastic.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
is there any way to make the fat back to normal? Im planning to borrow my friend's fat, and return it to him, of course, he does not know what i am going to do
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: