Thinking about getting an Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Gaz777, May 10, 2010.

May 10, 2010
  1. Gaz777
    OP

Member Gaz777 Member

United Kingdom
    First I would like to say sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where it should go and spotted a few other threads about ipod touches here.

I'm thinking of getting an ipod touch, im currently debating if I should get a 32 or 64GB one, currently I have just over 24GB of music which I would put on the ipod.
    I would also like to put movies and apps on it, so which size do you think I should get? I'm tending towards the 64GB

Money isn't really a problem at the moment as I can afford either, though I do think the price difference between the two is just stupid.

I've also heard that apple may be releasing a new ipod touch soon, September-ish? So should I wait and see if they do, or just buy a 3g now?

One more thing, am I right in thinking that currently every firmware/software version can be jail broken?

Thanks

Gaz

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Get the 64GB, so you don't have to worry about the size.
    Your music library is gunna grow more, isn't it?
    I have 46 apps which take up 3.12GB (not including Cydia apps)
    Plus, you will have your movies, which will take about 500MB (If HQ) for each.

It's up to you if you want to wait for the new iPod Touch, but I would get it now because it's awesome =D

Oh and yes, every model and firmware can be jailbroken

3. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I hate the iPod Touch. It's just more of the same iCrap Apple produces. Whenever I try to use my brother's iPod, the touch screen almost never responds well to what I do. I know it works by detecting body heat or something, but it seems like mine is too cold for the iPod to recognize me [​IMG]

4. Krove

Newcomer Krove Newbie

United States
    Get the 64 GB Model and yes you are right in that as of now all firmware and models of the Ipod touch can be jailbroken using Spirit.

5. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    are you trying to play with gloves?

my ipod touch always responds to what I do, your brother's must be overloaded with too much multitasking etc

6. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    the itouch is never slow, never unresponsive! lies mate.....!
    the touch screen or the itouch is amazing, probably the most responsive touch screen on any device!

get one dude, jailbreak it and fill it to the max with apps! you'll love it! you wont regret it, best purchase ever!

7. Gaz777
    OP

Member Gaz777 Member

United Kingdom
    @Prowler485

Thanks for the response, and your right it will grow more.
    Also I will probs have a few HQ movies, i wasnt sure what size they'd be so you cleared that up too.

I'm tempted to get the 3g now and then if a new one comes out, and its a big improvement I could always sell the 3g and buy the new one.

@Everyone else
    Thanks for the info

I have used a ipod touch before and I agree the screen does seem very responsive.

Thanks again

Gaz

8. Sanderino

Member Sanderino I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone

Netherlands
    Yeah buy a 64 GB.
    Every year in September Apple releases a new iPod Touch.
    There are rumors going around that this one will get a camera and it surely gets the Apple OS 4.0 But you can get that ony by updating your 3rd gen 32/64 GB iTouch.
    It's up to you if you'll want to wait. I'm going to wait because I always want the newest and since it's September in a few months...

9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Strange thing actually. Recently, despite not really liking Apple so much, I've been toying with a similar prospect. Not as seriously though, but still...

10. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I have a 32 gb one, and it is great. love the sound quality actually. waitng for the new version or not is up to you (how bad you want it)... but I'd get the larger one since movies takes some space, and so does some apps. (since you have so much music [​IMG] i just have 15 gigs so 32 is enough for me (and I buy allmost everything on CD / vinyl so i don't explode size wise )

EDIT: I might add, I HATE apple! I think they can burn in hell [​IMG] and still I love the iPod Touch! compared to previous iPods i've listenend to this one has sooo mcuh better audio. and the screen is really responsive and i just love it.

11. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    I might be an odd duck, but I'd get the cheaper model and invest the difference in some superb headphones.

I got a pair of Bose headphones last year instead of upgrading from my teeny Walkman NWZ-S616F 4GB.
    (I've previously owned an iPod Mini which got stolen from my hotel room a week after it was given to me, and an iPod classic 2G or 3G that was refurbished directly from Apple... which, after 90~days warranty, no longer held a charge longer than 2 minutes.)

I figured that since my little Walkman still holds several hours' charge though I've owned it roughly two years, I'd check out some of the higher end headphones before I made my decision, and I got Bose Triport Headphones.

The difference between my old iPod earbuds, my Sony earbuds which were packaged with the Walkman, and even my old $100 SteelSeries gaming headset... versus the Bose headphones, the quality improvement was very significant. I use the Bose headphones all the time now - with my laptop, my DSi XL, and of course with the Walkman. They're so lightweight that I was worried that they'd be flimsy, but they are the first pair of headphones I've owned for half a year that still look brand-new. It has pivots in the places where around-the-ear headsets are most prone to stress or cracks from frequent use.

Of course, if you're content with bundled earbuds, go for the double capacity..
    However, if you love high quality audio for private listening, get the smaller one and a solid pair of headphones, especially if considering reselling when the next generation comes out.

12. Gaz777
    OP

Member Gaz777 Member

United Kingdom
    Well late last night I went ahead and bought the 64GB model, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow, but if not definitely before the weekend to give me lots of time to play.

@exangel
    I hadn't thought about getting some superb headphones before but i'm now considering it.
    though I'll wait and see what the ones it comes with are like, I also have a pair of Sony Ericsson HPM-77 which came with my W995,
    personally I quite like them, but haven't really ever compared headphones.

I've never really used a pair of around-ear headphones, I'm not sure what would be more suitable for me in-ear or around-ear.
    I like the way in-ear ones cut out all other background noise, and don't know much about around-ear ones.

Thanks for the idea

I believe I can afford both, the ipod and a good set of headphones, as in the next few day I should be getting a nice little check, so its something for me to look into.

Thanks to everyone again.

Gaz

13. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Fortunately I was able to try the Bose headphones before I bought them because they were on a display at the Best Buy that was comparing them with Dr Dre's Beats around-the-ear headphones which were more than twice as much money at $300. I tried on the Beats, which I had no intrest in buying, and I tried on the Bose headphones and was still impressed. I've used around-the-ear headphones most of the time since I was a teenager, after hearing my favorite band Tool through a set of studio monitor quality headphones (which will run as much as the Beats or more). There's only a couple drawbacks to them in my opinion: less portable than earbuds, and difficult to wear for a long period of time if it's really hot outside. I live in Arizona. So I don't use them outdoors in the summer. I've never been able to try on a pair of high-end earbuds so I can't offer you a fair opinion of those though.
    As far as background noise goes though, the model I have puts quite a damper on background noise, I've used them to listen to films I was playing on my netbook while riding a noisy bus on an interstate, and I would put the external noise suppression on par with wearing earbuds. Same for my SteelSeries headphones that I used for 2 years until the wiring just plain gave out.
    I personally experience discomfort with most earbuds if I wear them longer than a couple hours- enough to have to remove them and give my ear canals a break.

Since you'll be spending around $100 or more for high end (consumer) headphones, see if you can find an electronics shop that has a couple on display and ask if you can hook them up to your iPod. [​IMG]