1. E30Nova

OP E30Nova Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I've been trying to get tinfoil working for a few days now.

I was on 8.0.1 and using the latest atmosphere 0.12.0.

Finally got it working and it gave me the message saying kosmos was installed, blah, blah. So I just said delete the files.

It deleted all the games in my Nintendo folder.

So I figured I'd re-download a small one to test it. But I couldn't launch it because it would say software update required and wouldn't let me play it until I updated.

I figured what the heck, the latest firmware is still supported, so I updated.

Now I'm on 10.0.2, my game cart slot doesn't work (which apparently is because of the nogc patches), I still can't play the game I installed because it says "some necessary data could not be found". The only options are start software, download, and cancel. Start software just brings up a dialogue that says software update required, and then it fails to download because I'm banned.

And now even tinfoil won't launch. It just gives me an error saying "unable to start software. Return to the home menu and try again."

I'm afraid to do anything else because I don't want to make it worse.

Help, please!

Shadow#1 likes this.
  2. ricdee

ricdee Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I've had that problem with the game needing a software update and i'm also banned and have found the only way to get the games running is by finding the latest update for said games and manually installing them. Tinfoil not loading is odd though, are you using a forwarder? (is it on your home screen?) maybe deleting tinfoil and running the installer again will fix it. What I often do when I run into odd problems like this is to do a clean install on a different SD with the latest cfw of choice (Reinx 3.0 seems ok at the moment) and see if that makes the gremlins disappear and if it does I put that firmware on my main SD and if it doesn't help your original SD is unaffected and you haven't made things worse, good luck

(also I remember when Tinfoil asked me to delete kosmos and when i read up on it I found that you had to use Neutos CFW to bypass this message. As of a few days ago Neutos have stopped updating their CFW because Reinx 3.0 was released and they were just trying to cover the long period of time that Reinx wasn't being updated so I reckon Reinx 3.0 will help you solve some of your problems)

Last edited by ricdee, May 8, 2020
  3. E30Nova

OP E30Nova Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I tried reinx 3.0 before updating my firmware and it never worked for some reason.

Downloaded the zip 3 times, and every time I'd send the payload, the screen would stay black and my computer never made the sound for a device disconnecting. That's when I decided to go back to atmosphere and try to get it working.

I figured the only way to get the games working would be to find the updated myself. Just sucks because a lot of the games I had were weird/niche/Japanese, so that's gonna be tough, lol.

Guess I'll start with a new SD card and reinstalling tinfoil.

4. ricdee

ricdee Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    You could try downloading the new Reinx 3.0 directly to your sd card from homebrew app store. That worked perfectly for me, after I had downloaded it I rebooted and it went straight to Reinx IMG_20200509_065445.jpg

5. Tomato123

Tomato123 Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    As far as I know, Tinfoil not starting with that message means the installed sigpatches are not 100% working. I personally have no issues with Tinfoil on 10.0.2 running ReiNX 3.0. When you go to install it, make sure you backup your old atmosphere install (Folders atmosphere and sept) and then delete the folders from your SD card. Copy over all the files/folders included in the ReiNX zip to your SD card and then boot the Switch from RCM with the ReiNX.bin payload (Or you can use Hekate if you want to set that up with it).

6. E30Nova

OP E30Nova Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I didn't even know ReiNX was in the app store.

I installed that and now everything works perfectly.

Thanks guys!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - screwed, myself,