Things you recently bought or got

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just received this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jumpgate-a-versatile-dock-for-switch-smart-device--2
Works as a universal USB-C HDMI dongle/hub, mostly universal dock, and as a charging stand when no HDMI is plugged in (or the dongle portion is removed from the dock turning it into just a stand)

And man does it look sexy.

Yeah, I have their GripCase as well. These guys are great :)

20190410_173333.jpg

20190410_173738.jpg

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a bin of 4 pc's (towers, screens, keyboard, mice, power cables, speakers) from a friend who was gonna toss them, some decent stuff, 2 i3 machines, modern pentium, an old pentium d server, and a 27in acer screen which unfortunately has some pretty bad scratches.

Ed4psGc.jpg

Kh3YAJZ.jpg

MHqEsIQ.jpg

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never got round to playing the metroid games glad I found this at computer exchange as quite rare to find a copy in store got for 35 quid was going to buy ebay but some crazy prices out ther
IMG_20190410_192056.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_192056.jpg
    IMG_20190410_192056.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got a white wii for $9 and a ditect tv dvr for $4.50
The direct tv box is useless with out the service but inside is a seagate 1tb hard drive. So when you see dvrs in the trash or at thrift stores get them The drives inside are usually good.

I have not tested the wii yet, it has the gamecube ports. It probably works.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got a white wii for $9 and a ditect tv dvr for $4.50
The direct tv box is useless with out the service but inside is a seagate 1tb hard drive. So when you see dvrs in the trash or at thrift stores get them The drives inside are usually good.

I have not tested the wii yet, it has the gamecube ports. It probably works.
If the Wii drive is dead well u have USB Loaders and Nintendont [emoji14]

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Joe88 said:
and a 27in acer screen which unfortunately has some pretty bad scratches
How do you scratch a screen? I have seen any number of cracked and dropped ones but scratches... granted I did manage to touch one of mine with a soldering iron once.

Anyway something I never expected to see, and did not know existed. Was looking for a set of cheapo style wire cutters as I need some for the imperial bolt cutting option (most of the ones around here are metric) -- I try never to use the wire cutter/stripper parts as I have far superior tools for that but on occasion the bolt cutting feature really saves the day and the thread part cleans up the cut nicely as opposed to having to play with a hacksaw and then dig out the thread dies. What did I find instead? A set of cheapo style wire cutters but with British Association/BA thread form ( https://britishfasteners.com/threads/ ). I don't know if I will ever use them in anger (normally if I am playing with something old enough to use BA threads then care is to be taken, and I am unlikely to drag them around with walkabout tools but something cool anyway.

ba_wire_strippers.JPG

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you scratch a screen? I have seen any number of cracked and dropped ones but scratches... granted I did manage to touch one of mine with a soldering iron once.
i'm guessing when they were tossing everything into the bin, something must been rubbing against it

kw2SHcx.jpg

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Got a Logitech MX Master 2S. Pretty comfy, and the wheel is great (I toy with it way too much).
Also a pair of sneakers from China. Their ETPU soles are soft and kinda bouncy.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just received this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jumpgate-a-versatile-dock-for-switch-smart-device--2
Works as a universal USB-C HDMI dongle/hub, mostly universal dock, and as a charging stand when no HDMI is plugged in (or the dongle portion is removed from the dock turning it into just a stand)

And man does it look sexy.

Yeah, I have their GripCase as well. These guys are great :)

View attachment 163339
View attachment 163338

Better hope this doesn't start bricking switches out there.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Better hope this doesn't start bricking switches out there.
Indeed...

There have been no bricks yet, if you read the Indiegogo or Kickstarter page they did plenty of testing to make sure it wouldn't cause any bricks, they also tested some docks known to cause bricks and according to them they have confirmed that it was due to the docks not conforming to the USB-C spec.
Neither does the Switch as you may already be aware, but people in that business who have done in-depth testing and measuring of the Switch in docked and undocked mode have said that it should be safe to use with devices that conform to USB-C spec. Problems seem to arise when the dock/charger does not conform to Nintendo's "spec" (in quotes because they have not really published a spec, and I think for most companies, getting officially verified as Switch compatible is not really viable unless they want to design something specifically for the Switch and have the money to pay Nintendo to get it licensed) nor USB-C spec, the Switch does weird things when it comes to requesting power for example, and the Switch not getting the correct power it's expecting seems to be a big cause of bricks. but when it doesn't request it correctly in the first place, unpredictable things can happen with badly designed hardware...

Anyway it is firmware upgradable if issues arise (of course that's not gonna magically fix bricks though), and they have promised to pay for a new Switch if anyone gets bricked from using their dock. So let's hope they follow through on that.

I will say I trust these guys more than other manufacturers making docks, but I still have some skepticism. Even though their previous products were good, it's their first time making a device like this, and even if they've tried to learn from the mistakes made by other manufacturers, that's no guarantee they won't make their own mistakes, so I can't be 100% sure issues won't arise in the future.

One of the USB ports on my unit doesn't work. Won't charge my controllers. That shouldn't affect the safety of using the dock, but it doesn't exactly bode well for their QA. But that's just what it's like being an early adopter I guess, even big companies like Nintendo make mistakes that have to be fixed later on, there will always be occasional issues that aren't caught in QA. And they have probably been in a rush being a small company on a deadline trying to get every unit out to backers as soon as possible. I've seen people with various other defects posting comments as well. As long as they sort it out by getting (fully working) replacements out to those that are having defects, I can't complain too much.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Hayato213

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
havnt bought this but anyone interested it's in the works store UK priced 20 quid

Attachments

• IMG_20190416_175522.jpg
    IMG_20190416_175522.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt