Things you have fixed/modded recently

THOMI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found an old psp that had a cracked screen. So I replaced it with another one I got off amazon and added CFW for the first time. Been having a blast with tekken 5 dark resurrection and MGS peace walker

Last edited by THOMI,
Reactions: Ozito and ELY_M

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bought a cheap PSP 3000 that had a slightly damaged screen, got a new screen, a new housing (the housing cost as much as the psp though, since it was the gundam one= and now I have a sexy gundam PSP.

57155319_573157023205814_2648407088186785792_n.jpg

56931967_795501200829573_8455519944044445696_n.jpg

Reactions: Ozito

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, someone recently gave me a portable dvd player that couldn't read discs anymore, so I ripped out the drive and replaced it with a Pi Zero and some extras (audio circuit, ethernet port, and one of those usb to psone controller adapters) I had lying around. Voila, instant portable retropie :D . The rest of the dvd player is left in because it can also read files from SD, usb, or cable.

20190513_185811.jpg

20190513_190034.jpg

20190513_190303.jpg

20190513_190523.jpg

Reactions: npiet1 and weatMod

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My roommate had 3 Nintendo DS and gave them to me. So I'm in the middle of re-shelling and fixing those and also modernizing my Gameboy Color with a sound amplifier, rechargeable battery, and Benn Venns new LCD screen.
I assume maybe a group of people here has done this already but I'm just excited to get it all together so I can play Pokemon Crystal in Japanese. I don't know any Japanese so it's gonna be a fun ride.

Nyako

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nyako.gay
XP
Country
Canada
Last thing I modded was my phone, I've kept it on iOS 12.0 since I got it.

I don't really have the money to buy gaming consoles and the like, though I wish I had a Switch. I'd probably brick it in the first 10 minutes of having it.

mariopepper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I broke my monitor stand and I am still trying to fix it. I must confess that even glue doesn't help :D Guys what can you advice? I checked some reviews before https://whatever-tech.com/best-6-monitor-stand-review/ and I don't know what to do... Go on fixing it ( I am not sure it's even possible) or to get new one? Really hard decision.
2A05B465-398B-488D-A379-A727A3611058.jpg

Last edited by mariopepper,

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Fixed Joy Con. Again. Had to replace the sl/sr ribbon and fix the stick. The new ribbon's buttons are too hard and I broke a tab while trying to put the stick back together.
It's more broken yet more functional than before I fixed it.

npiet1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
New here, won't post everything I've ever fixed cause it would be to long. I love to fix things or just take apart to see how it looks and operates. This thread is right up my alley.

In the past week fixed
a printer that I got from a friend. The ink tube between the cartridge and where it came out was full of cockroach poo.

Washing machine wasbusted,a the buttons where pushed in.

Fridge door came off during moving

2x 3ds hacked for the kids

Win 10 was giving me problems so I did a clean install.

I'm starting to repaint twin lockers to firetruck red. Have to use a steel brush as sanding isn't doing to much to the original paint. Have been trying to get better at soldering to but I don't think my soldering iron gets hot enough (30w)

I don't own many tools. So I do everything by hand. I really want a 3d printer because of how handy it would be for replacement parts.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, someone recently gave me a portable dvd player that couldn't read discs anymore, so I ripped out the drive and replaced it with a Pi Zero and some extras (audio circuit, ethernet port, and one of those usb to psone controller adapters) I had lying around. Voila, instant portable retropie :D . The rest of the dvd player is left in because it can also read files from SD, usb, or cable.

That's cool, did you just run the pi-zero though the AV port for the screen? How did you cut the plastic so well?

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's cool, did you just run the pi-zero though the AV port for the screen? How did you cut the plastic so well?
Yeah, the DVD player had one of those 3.5mm av in jacks, so it was just a matter of finding out which solder point was what. Which is easy enough, I just used a composite jack I had lying around. Afterwards I could just solder two wires (video and ground) directly to the pi, and three wires (audio l,r and round) to a small self built audio circuit.
As for cutting the plastic, I used a small hobby knife and a whole lot of patience. I'd draw out the general shape, and would spin the tip of the knife within that shape creating a hole. From that hole I'd start removing the surrounding plastic until I'd get the desired shape.
It's honestly not something I'd recommend doing unless you really have no other choice, because I couldn't use my hands for the rest of the day. That's the price for doing things without the proper tools I guess :P .

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not too long ago, I won a bricked switch with trinket m0 in it on ebay. I was testing my sd cards from my other switches. the ubuntu sd card did worked for me.
it booted up ubuntu nicely. I also grabbed lakka from here and I am able to boot up lakka too.

Condarkness_XY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Over the last few days I modded my PS Vita. Got a 128gb sd2vita, dumped my legit games on my legit 16gb vita memory card and transferred them to the sd2vita with saves n'all. They work perfectly. I now have to transfer all the games I have on QCMA to my vita, and vice versa.

For 3.60 only.
I followed two videos on youtube for the most part. Some of it is not necessary. The basic steps are as follows:

ENABLE HENKAKU, have npdmdrm

1. Have your legit vita memory card (LVMC) as ux0.
2. Start the game you want to dump and play it until you have a save point. Save and then exit. Take note of the save slot. The first is slot0. Then slot1, slot2, etc.
OPTIONAL. If you have savedata that is valuable, then download savemgr .8 or higher. Save your data by selecting the game and backing it up. To be safe I do this twice, slot0 and slot1.
3. Next in vitashell, you'll see the directory that says gr00. That is the gamecard. Check the game Id, and also check the license. If you see a .rif for the game id that you want then that means the license was generated.
4. go the root of gr00/app and copy the game (press triangle and copy).
5. go to the the app folder in ux0 and paste the game.
6. after the game is pasted, go to npdmdrm folder and find the game id and then find the license. Rename the license to work.bin. Copy work.bin.
7. navigate to the app folder in ux0, open the game id that is corresponding to your game and find the sys folder. Inside will be another folder called package. Inside that paste the work.bin file.
8. Exit vitashell. Then delete the current bubble for your game.
9. Remove gamecard. Open vitashell and nav to ux0. Do not select the folder, just make sure it is highlighted green. Press triangle and refresh the live area.
10. The game should now be able to launch without a gamecard inserted.
11. Navigate to savemgr, and restore savedata.
12. Check game.
13. Transfer to SD2VITA, by copying over the game id in the app folder in ux0.
14. Transfer over the npdmdrm license.
15. Done.
16. Change SD2VITA to ux0.

I take no credit for writing this. The two content creators are responsible for it and the videos they produced. I have simply written what I did.

Last edited by Condarkness_XY,
Reactions: Ozito

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My Arlo security cameras, hardly a mod though. I got fed up of using batteries, so 3D printed a nice alternative battery cover, removed the hard to notice rubber bung which hides the Micro-USB port and voila, mains powered cameras.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@The Real Jdbye this should hopefully put an end to my Mini USB curse once and for all :P
(The connector sticks out a tiny bit, but it's otherwise much more stable than I anticipated!)

IMG_20190724_120538.jpg IMG_20190724_120433.jpg

Other than that, I've also replaced my n3DS' Circle Pad as the rubber cap came off due to wear and tear. I've used an aftermarket part with a non-removable cap but other than that, nothing special about it really.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Modded a N64 rumble pak to not need batteries today.
I'm not sure why they didn't just pull power from the controller port honestly... Motors don't draw much at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2