Things to do with Unbuntu

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JinTrigger, Nov 18, 2010.

Nov 18, 2010
  1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    So as some of you may know (due to me asking about it on ASk GBATemp) I've installed Ubuntu on my system as a dualboot. I've been messing around with it all day and I have to say I freaking love up....but what all can I do with it? I'm thinking about using it as my primary OS and using Windows 7 whenever I actually need it, but what all kinds of stuff can I do with Ubuntu? (if it matters im using an Acer Aspire One with 2GB of rams)

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's an operating system. You use it to manage your files and run programs.
    • Shit you might fund interesting:
    • You can run many windows programs, the default install of ubuntu has WINE already set up, so just run an .EXE like you would in windows. You may need to change it's permissions to allow it to be executable if it's something you downloaded, this is a security measure. Don't expect games with DRM and hack-protection shit to run well (or at all), as those try to hook right into parts of windows that don't exist on Linux.
    • Using the package manager (or software manager or synaptic or whatever they call it in the current release) to install new programs automatically, even emulators like Mupen64 and Snes9x.
    • Desktop effects... this depends on your specs if it's available or not.

4. Ziggy Zigzagoon

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    You can download YouTube with them more easily by going into a "tmp" directory where every video is already downloaded. (I should say that I got that from the Ubuntu forums...) The videos are already playable (and, if not, tells you what you need to download, and you get everything and more in one package!

You can also get quite a bit of software with the Software Center. I also got new typing styles (Bopomofo; Wubi) rather easily due to the package repository. You do not even have to a lot of configuration stuff!

5. Rydian

United States
    Same thing on windows, getting the videos out of your cache folder and playing them with something like VLC. [​IMG]

6. Ziggy Zigzagoon

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    However, you can actually edit the videos directly under Ubuntu, yet you have to convert the videos under Windows.

7. Rydian

United States
    This is 100% dependent on the video editing program you're using (not the OS) if it supports FLV or not.

8. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You can install AWN Dock and make your desktop environment feel more mac like. [​IMG]

You can install Google Chrome and surf the net...

uh... [​IMG]

You can't get outlook to check your e-mail but you can get Thunderbird (which works for most e-mail but not exchange 2007 or newer servers) *

You can install apache or lighttpd and set up your own web server. [​IMG]

*edit just to clarify this is from my own experience trying to get Outlook to work. Office 2010 will not even install under Wine, and 2007 installs but Outlook is the only program that will not open/run. I've heard of other methods to get these to work such as vmware or virtual box but that doesn't really count. [​IMG]

9. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
  10. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States
  11. hoist20032002

Member hoist20032002 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd rather use VMware since it frees up a lot of space & not too mention you won't have too put a kernel on your pc or even modify your HD. I'm using Ubuntu to study programming & coding which is an awesome experience so far even though I'm still a n00b in the programmer community.

12. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    I havnt read the entire thread but anyway this is what I do on it, I convert films to mpg and encode them in another program to make custom dvd's, linux is great for converting mkv to avi mpg etc, also also mucking around with the audio streams, gaming is a bit hit and miss but wine is a god send and works great most of the time, compiz for gimping up your desktop hehe, editing images is not bad with gimp, but I ended using PS7.0 worked well for me.

There is plenty to do in ubuntu just dont be afraid to experiment [​IMG]

13. HellBoyX1000

Newcomer HellBoyX1000 Member

Ireland
    Get the Ubuntu-restricted-extras. Run the following in the terminal

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

This will give you codecs that you may need for audio and video.

If you want to make graphical adjustments to the layout of ubuntu, Get Ubuntu Tweak http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

[​IMG]

14. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    We live in the cloud nowadays. Outside of license management, operating system difference are negligible.