There's an inconsistency in Firefox

dAVID_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Although Firefox is proclaimed to use up less memory to work, I see that as an opposite. I was testing 3
browsers: UC Browser, Chrome, and Firefox. I didn't use any ''light'' versions of them, I used the standard ones. Chrome used about 30,000 KB less than UC. And Firefox used nearly twice as Chrome, completely contradicting what Mozilla and a lot of users claim.

firefoxvschrome.png

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Running them at the very same time is not the best way to make tests.

You should test them one by one opening the same website(s), and record the results, and after that compare them.

What websites did you compare them against?

Reactions: Deleted User

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You'd think that after over a decade they would have figured it out by now.

And here I thought that open source code would be improved by the public all the time.

I was right, Firefox is a shit browser.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Although Firefox is proclaimed to use up less memory to work, I see that as an opposite. I was testing 3
browsers: UC Browser, Chrome, and Firefox. I didn't use any ''light'' versions of them, I used the standard ones. Chrome used about 30,000 KB less than UC. And Firefox used nearly twice as Chrome, completely contradicting what Mozilla and a lot of users claim.

View attachment 96057
The difference really starts to show when you have a lot of tabs open, because Chrome spawns a new process for each tab, it wastes a lot of RAM.

Reactions: Deleted User

dAVID_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Running them at the very same time is not the best way to make tests.

You should test them one by one opening the same website(s), and record the results, and after that compare them.

What websites did you compare them against?

This same site. And how is having them open at the same time or not going to make a difference in RAM consumption?
my computer isn't a potato.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The difference really starts to show when you have a lot of tabs open, because Chrome spawns a new process for each tab, it wastes a lot of RAM.

Oh... I get it. Firefox is for more heavy, office browsing and Chrome for casual browsing.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This same site. And how is having them open at the same time or not going to make a difference in RAM consumption?
my computer isn't a potato.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh... I get it. Firefox is for more heavy, office browsing and Chrome for casual browsing.
I don't know what your definition of casual browsing is but I have over 400 tabs open in Firefox right now :P
Granted that's because I haven't cleaned them out in ages, but I always have around 100 tabs minimum.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have more than 200 opened tabs too, and I'm using the "tab group" plugin as they removed that feature from the official program :(
Before it existed, I always had multiple windows opened at the same time, with each window its own set of tabs., now at least I have only two instance of Firefox (for multiple firefox account at the same time)

D

Deleted User

I don't know what your definition of casual browsing is but I have over 400 tabs open in Firefox right now :P
Granted that's because I haven't cleaned them out in ages, but I always have around 100 tabs minimum.
I usually have 10-50 tabs turned on. Mostly 8 since I ain't letting chrome eat up my every resource available and trash my pc.
Firefox is trash, I tried it on my tablet and had to restart it endlessly since leakage with 2GB of RAM is not cool.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Firefox is shit, just drop it. I used it for a while as well but then I realized Chrome has way less issues. I never returned to Firefox.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A memory leak in Firefox? In other news, water is wet!

I still use Firefox on my PC and Chrome on my laptop. I honestly don't even know why I still use Firefox.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Firefox uses multiple processes too, though this feature is new and maybe it's not even enabled by default for some PCs.

EDIT: maybe not exactly one per tab, though. I don't know how it works exactly.

Last edited by nastys,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country

How does that work? you won't be able to tell what each tab is with so many open surely?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Pretty sure latest firefox just started doing that too with them finally adding multithreaded support. Also why like 99% of add-ons no longer work. Not everyone might have updated yet though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Firefox uses multiple processes too, though this feature is new and maybe it's not even enabled by default for some PCs.

EDIT: maybe not exactly one per tab, though. I don't know how it works exactly.
I've heard about that, but it's still using 1 process for me. Maybe I disabled the feature and forgot about it.
How does that work? you won't be able to tell what each tab is with so many open surely?
Well, I open new tabs all the time and rarely close old ones :P
Most of the time I only use the last 50 or so. But there are a lot of tabs I keep open for later viewing so I don't forget about them.
Pretty sure latest firefox just started doing that too with them finally adding multithreaded support. Also why like 99% of add-ons no longer work. Not everyone might have updated yet though.
My Firefox updates automatically, though it does seem like there's an update ready that hasn't been installed yet.
I think the reason addons no longer work is because they're moving everything to a new API, and deprecating the old one, at least I heard something about that a while back.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over