3DS Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, other than modifying the MIDIs themselves, there is another method. In the SDAT, after I ripped the music, I noticed that some games have WAVs as music. Now here's a theory. Can't we create WAVs, insert them into the ROMs, set loop points, and get them to play during levels?

It could mean custom music for everyone!

It's not meant to be perfect.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From experience as a Super Mario World Sample Porter, I have to say that samples take up much, much more space than using .WAV files. It's much more efficient to use small .WAV samples, and modify them with a tracker to change pitch to make it sound like there's more content coming from that small sample. It lets the programmer put more code for the actual game, rather than the music.

However, there have already been some cases where WAV files took up the majority of the soundtracks in NDS game soundtracks. A great example would be The World Ends With You.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought TWEWY was ADX/AHX type formats, N+ used PCM (damn close to wave files- indeed the same programs can make them if you know what you are doing) and electroplankton did use true windows grade wave files- I read your text as they had wave within SDAT but if you have found another game that uses wave do share.

SDAT does contain some PCM (or ADPCM) encoded audio for various things and some of the full track type stuff (seen in the likes of Tony Hawk games) is a sort of a raw wave file give or take some DS type header. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=162246 might be worth a read although there was a new program a few weeks back as might http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8407.html along with the usual SDAT specs.

krutomisi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC Luminous Arc has a wave file of the main theme sitting in the the intro folder

I haven't looked into it,
but I'm guessing there's a chance the sdat uses a similar file

but then again maybe not

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Orengefox said:
I certainly would like to know if there are any other NDS games out there that genuinely use wave files as music within a SDAT file. If anyone knows of any, definitely post them up. It'll give us a better understanding of how it works.

Apollo Justice has some WAVs in it (several songs) and that gave the ripper grief. I was the ripper, I joined just to experiment a program.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
???
....¬_¬.... seriously???
Didn't someone mentioned Guitar hero series??????
those games have use of WAV's as hell!!!!
Open the roms with DSLazy and you'll see!!
smile.gif

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dartz150 said:
???
....¬_¬.... seriously???
Didn't someone mentioned Guitar hero series??????
those games have use of WAV's as hell!!!!
Open the roms with DSLazy and you'll see!!
smile.gif
I don't use DSLazy for getting my audio rips, I use my own program. But... we're talking about SDAT files, does Guitar Hero even HAVE ONE if you're telling us to open it with DSLazy?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...