TheFlow is teasing a possible exploit for the PlayStation 4, recommends users to stay on OFW 6.20

ps4.jpg

After cracking the PlayStation Vita wide open, and providing a litany of useful homebrew tools, it appears that TheFlow is looking to move onwards and upwards to the next Sony system: the PlayStation 4. As those in the PS4 scene are likely aware, there is a current webkit exploit for consoles on firmware 6.20, thanks to SpecterDev. According to a post made by TheFlow on Twitter, it appears that he has an exploit in the works for OFW 6.20 as well. Those interested in homebrew are being told to stay on that system version, with a vague comment of, "Also don't update past FW 6.20 if you want a kxploit". What makes this tease even more notable though, is the fact that it isn't just a webkit exploit--the term "kxploit" was specifically mentioned. While a webkit exploit is useful, a kernel exploit would allow modders to do more with a theoretical softmod, and would be the first possible kexploit available since OFW 5.05/5.07. There is very limited information as of just yet, but with a track record like TheFlow's, it'd be wise to stay on 6.20 if you're on it. As of December 2019, the latest PlayStation 4 system software version is 7.02.

UPDATE: Well, it appears he didn't actually have a vulnerability in mind when he made his first Tweet above, but after receiving a PlayStation 4 from a fellow hacker, TheFlow has confirmed he indeed does have a vulnerability for OFW 6.20.

:arrow: Source

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even touched my PS4 since the last exploit came out. Think I updated to 5.05 just because of it (or was it 4.55? don't remember...)

Switch gets like 97% of the love, 1% goes to Oculus Rift, 1% goes to 3DS, and the last 1% goes to the Wiiu/Wii. Can't even remember the last time I touched my PS3 (except to unpack it when I moved back to mainland Japan...)

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I haven't even touched my PS4 since the last exploit came out. Think I updated to 5.05 just because of it (or was it 4.55? don't remember...)

Switch gets like 97% of the love, 1% goes to Oculus Rift, 1% goes to 3DS, and the last 1% goes to the Wiiu/Wii. Can't even remember the last time I touched my PS3 (except to unpack it when I moved back to mainland Japan...)
I think the reason Sony consoles don't see much homebrew compared to the Nintendo scene is because there's no good legal sdks for Sony home consoles and devs don't want to touch the leaked sdks in case they get C&D letters. Hopefully this will change soon because Open Orbis are getting ready to release their open source toolchain which has been in development for a few years now (I remember talking to ZeraTron and LightningModz about it in 2017). I'm going to do some ps4 development once it comes out. I wanted to port N-Xplorer initially but after talking to one of the devs on twitter I don't think that will be possible at release because of a couple of limitations that they plan to remove in the future.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,
Reactions: Darksabre72

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I have a pro on 5.05, an upgrade to 6.20 would be very good!
Although DMC5 requires high than 6.20 I think, I really want to to try out that game :)

D

Deleted User

so i take it you do not realize ps4 retroarch is a thing now. Combined with linux on ps4 and ps2 to pkg you have yourself a wonderful system you are not properly using. Feel free to send it to me if you don’t know what to do with it...

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna update my 5.50 pro for FFVII, but damn I guess I'll have to hope for a backport despite pre ordering the 1st class edition
Part of that reason is b/c either ps4 devs wanted to keep everything to themselves or were too paranoid of a public release moving the scene forward. After 5.0.5/5.0.7 it has been nothing but a show&tell scene, you had certain devs that would tease us with twitter posts of getting new k-exploits, but would always say they wont release it b/c of Sony patch, which kinda makes their finding useless since we would never get to try it only just know it exists. Knowing Flow's Vita works this man is going to make the ps4 scene better.

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: can't spell

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I wonder if the delay for FF7R was so it'd only work on firmware 7.00 and higher.

December 2019 was when the build for the demo leaked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I went to a garage sell last saturday, and the lady had a PS2 for sale, but she had a sign on it...