PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's worth it if it's a patch, but if you're using the base game, just do the small patch. if it's an actual, full patch that you're backporting, make sure to do the full patch or you could cause a problem. ;)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's worth it if it's a patch, but if you're using the base game, just do the small patch. if it's an actual, full patch that you're backporting, make sure to do the full patch or you could cause a problem. ;)
im making a backup and going to try extract the pkg and rebuild, should fail to install if shit goes wrong?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly, it's hard to say. that's one of the reasons why I learned how to make a fake patch. I wanted to know how to build the smallest backport possible.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly, it's hard to say. that's one of the reasons why I learned how to make a fake patch. I wanted to know how to build the smallest backport possible.
if these fail ill look at your earlier posts, tho there are plenty of other games i can grab in the mean time.

ginganguly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am on the lookout for a pS4 Pro and one has just turned up for £140.
Obviously need firmware 9.00 or lower.
However, the seller says he completely wiped it the other day and Initialised it.
Will this have updated the system?
Thansk

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on the lookout for a pS4 Pro and one has just turned up for £140.
Obviously need firmware 9.00 or lower.
However, the seller says he completely wiped it the other day and Initialised it.
Will this have updated the system?
Thansk
initialized? no, that means it's been formatted. as long as he used a lower recovery pup, it won't be updated.

ginganguly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
initialized? no, that means it's been formatted. as long as he used a lower recovery pup, it won't be updated.
Thanks for replying.
Don't think he will know about lower recovery pups, he's probably just followed a procedure for getting it ready for sale. I'm just wandering if this would require an update of the firmware as part of the process?
He does say it hadn't been used for ages prior to it being wiped.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ask him what firmware is on it. you can technically install a higher firmware, but most of the time people just reinstall what's already on the system.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Thanks for replying.
Don't think he will know about lower recovery pups, he's probably just followed a procedure for getting it ready for sale. I'm just wandering if this would require an update of the firmware as part of the process?
He does say it hadn't been used for ages prior to it being wiped.

ask him what firmware it is. no need to beat around the bush.

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So I don't know if this is just a "me" problem but I noticed I can't turn my PS4 on if I unplug the USB I used for this thing as it'll ask me to plug a USB with an update file for 9.00 or above. I "fixed" this by turning my console off, connecting the USB and turning it on again. Is this behaviour normal for those who did this thing?
Apparently now I can't take the USB off but I do have to follow the browser steps again.

seany1990

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I don't know if this is just a "me" problem but I noticed I can't turn my PS4 on if I unplug the USB I used for this thing as it'll ask me to plug a USB with an update file for 9.00 or above. I "fixed" this by turning my console off, connecting the USB and turning it on again. Is this behaviour normal for those who did this thing?
Apparently now I can't take the USB off but I do have to follow the browser steps again.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/aio-ps4-exploit-guide.497858/
is a better place to go for technical help

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Yes just did that - it's on 8.52 - however, on closer inspection it's missing the warranty stickers and hdd cover. What do you think?

look somewhere else if you think thats not good. im sure you can find a better one in my opinion. but thats my opinion.

i like my console like new as possible like why is it missing a hdd cover?

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
seems like a you problem, yes. ps4 turns on fine for me without a stick. i mean they even told you not to have the usb stick inserted when turning on the ps4

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would people advise to update to 9.0 if your on 5.05, or should i stay on 5.05.

I could put my 2nd ps4 to 9.0 and use it, but it has my main psn account on and id hate to mess about taking it off and risk that account getting banned, even tho i dont play online.

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok lowdown 9:00 is approx to 5.05 so games and homebrew is behind but 5.05 but again game patches do
need not be back ported and anything month ago works without anything but install. So really depend
on what you want but if above 5.05 9.00 is way better then prior x-ploit.

Lowdown if 5.05 stay for now anything above update.

Reactions: Spider_Man

iamisaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to stay with 5.05 but I'm having trouble finding/backporting myself for Persona 5 Royal USA English version. I see that the consensus is to stay at 5.05 as the games will get backported eventually, but this one has been out awhile and there seems to be little interest in getting it to work at 5.05. I feel like maybe I just haven't look in the right locations yet as it is one of the most popular ps4 exclusives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16