Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

death69inc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have installed all the vc games released but have installed checked if working backup to sd and deleted channel and save games as everyone knows you fill wii up very fast have not used uninstall wads as of yet as I not sure what games I wish to return from sd and play later

only games I have bought and very few vc dls on wii at momnet all nes games

I also clicked no on accident 4am and I read the poll wrong though tit said so you think its a risk lol
after i see answers of yes so high I reread the damn poll lol

shrugs

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should be an option for "not yet"

I want to see what the next major firmware update from the big N does.. then I'll start installing stuff!

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
Timmyhawky said:
Well it's not illegal since I use games I originally own on the N64k
happy.gif
Am I some kind of freak for reading Nintendo's legal page? Why does it seem like I'm the only one who gets Nintendo's idea of copyright infringement? Amateur lawyering is going to be abound on this kind of message board, but this should be required reading.

When a large percentage of the population breaks a law.. ie downloading MP3's, maybe it's the law that needs to be changed.

If you've paid for the original N64 cart you are IMO completely entitled to download it and play it again.

Companies can't have it both ways, they say 'we're not selling you the 50cent media, we're selling you the content', but once you've paid for the content, why should you need to pay for it again?

Copyright laws are draconian. Civil disobedience and the general youth of todays "downloading albums isn't really stealing' attitude is very promising, and comforting.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
bubbleboy said:
should be an option for "not yet"

I want to see what the next major firmware update from the big N does.. then I'll start installing stuff!

Surely the next firmware update will force the Wii Menu to use IOS37 which will stop them working.

Are they allowed to legally brick your Wii because you played a pirate game? Ford cannot come round and break your car engine because you stuck some hooky petrol in or Toshiba stopping your TV because you plugged in a hacked cable box.

I know nothing about the legalities but if you pay £200 for something you should be able to do what you like. Yes, you could get fined for doing illegal things like anything in life but for them to physically break your machine because you were naughty? What's it got to do with them that I play a pirate game made by EA?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hardcore Gamer said:
Are they allowed to legally brick your Wii because you played a pirate game? Ford cannot come round and break your car engine because you stuck some hooky petrol in or Toshiba stopping your TV because you plugged in a hacked cable box.

Why not? If you open up your Wii it immediately breaks your warranty. So when they release software that works on a normal Wii and bricks your modded Wii, who's to blame? I think Nintendo isn't breaking any law by doing that. YOU shouldn't be fucking with your Wii....well I've fucked with my Wii
laugh.gif
but then again I'm not screwing around by going online and I'm not taking the piss out of my Wii
rofl2.gif

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
berlinka said:
Hardcore Gamer said:

Why not? If you open up your Wii it immediately breaks your warranty. So when they release software that works on a normal Wii and bricks your modded Wii, who's to blame? I think Nintendo isn't breaking any law by doing that. YOU shouldn't be fucking with your Wii....well I've fucked with my Wii
laugh.gif
but then again I'm not screwing around by going online and I'm not taking the piss out of my Wii
rofl2.gif

You break your warranty but that just means they won't fix it when it's broke. It shouldn't mean they can force programs onto your machine with the sole purpose of stopping it from turning on, that's no different than sending you a virus. There's never been a case of anyone bricking any machine is there? So why should Nintendo be the first to do that?

I'll be shocked if they do that.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hardcore Gamer said:
berlinka said:
Hardcore Gamer said:

laugh.gif
rofl2.gif

You break your warranty but that just means they won't fix it when it's broke. It shouldn't mean they can force programs onto your machine with the sole purpose of stopping it from turning on, that's no different than sending you a virus. There's never been a case of anyone bricking any machine is there? So why should Nintendo be the first to do that?

I'll be shocked if they do that.

I think you're wrong. They make something that will work on a Wii. If it "accidentally" bricks a modded Wii, it's bad luck for you. Who says it's intended to brick modded Wii's? Nobody can prove it. An update will work flawlessly on a proper Wii! That's it. If you then say "Yeah, but it doesn't work on my modded Wii, it even BRICKED it", it would make YOU look like a fool, because modding a Wii can result in some software not responding well on it.

I think the only thing you could do if this happened is what I do now! And that is NOT GOING ONLINE! If there would be games (which there are not) that I wanted to play so bad online, I would think "hhhhhhmmwelll, I better not do it, because a future update COULD conflict with my hacked Wii".

It's just plain logic, and I think we are very lucky indeed that Nintendo are so soft when it comes to Wii modders. Look at PS3 owners. Now that's sad!

DarkSzero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
You can install hacked VC games without a modchip, so if an update bricks a console that has hacked VC games, but is not modded, there is some problem.
An update shouldn't brick a Wii that hasn't been modded.

But are the hacked VC games Trucha-signed? The injected ones probably are, but the ones that are just dumped?

opiumx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a wii and modded it thinking, that I cant offord $50 a game, but I can offord the VC games, and I have spent around $60 so far on them. As for the games that they havent released yet, such as banjo kazooie and ect, I will use emus for now but if they ever get on VC I will be sure to pay. As for regular games, well, I dont have $50 to just throw around every time a game comes out. I will say that I do actually own every retail zelda game.

Alltho installing VC games are risky, its worth it. I see that people are injecting games into others so you can play games that nintendo have not released yet. If nintendo wants to fight this, they need to release stuff like a real scumm app, more VC games, and ect. Otherwise people without chips get wind of this and then they will get a chip, and then theres more customers who dont pay for anything......

nintendough

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NL_Patrick_D said:
Then morally you're fine.

As stated you are using dkc2's "emu"
Looking at it from a more lawyer kind side now.
So that is a part of a commercially wad , which you downloaded and installed without paying
wink.gif

only if you downloaded the dkc2 game form nintendo whould you be in the clear.

But meh ... Nintendo wont taken any drastich actions any time soon.

I see. I was planning on getting DKC 2 (and 3, love those games) but if I do won't I have a save problem? The Wii seems to think my CT save is a DKC2 save...

But as far as Nintendo seeing me and thinking I've stolen something (or the list showing up in the "My Nintendo" section) I'm perfectly in the clear, right? If the answer to that is yes then I don't feel like I've taken a VC risk. I'll continue to buy (and grumble about buying) VC titles if Nintendo provides them but with CT (which I found a second copy of on the SNES
laugh.gif
) I have no problem with my injected VC since it's not available to buy on the VC and it's one I own 3 copies of already...

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
berlinka said:
I think you're wrong. They make something that will work on a Wii. If it "accidentally" bricks a modded Wii, it's bad luck for you. Who says it's intended to brick modded Wii's? Nobody can prove it. An update will work flawlessly on a proper Wii! That's it. If you then say "Yeah, but it doesn't work on my modded Wii, it even BRICKED it", it would make YOU look like a fool, because modding a Wii can result in some software not responding well on it.

I think the only thing you could do if this happened is what I do now! And that is NOT GOING ONLINE! If there would be games (which there are not) that I wanted to play so bad online, I would think "hhhhhhmmwelll, I better not do it, because a future update COULD conflict with my hacked Wii".

It's just plain logic, and I think we are very lucky indeed that Nintendo are so soft when it comes to Wii modders. Look at PS3 owners. Now that's sad!

But you don't need a modded wii.

It can't be a case of being glad Nintendo are so soft because no company ever has bricked someone's console. Look at Microsoft, you go to update windows with a dodgy copy and they tell you on their website that your windows is dodgy and just don't allow you to update. They don't brick your PC.

If Nintendo purposely sent a program down while you were online to brick your wii that's basically sending a virus to you which I'm sure is illegal. Unless someone can prove me wrong. If it was legal then why haven't we seen it yet by MS, Sony or Ninty?

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't intentionally brick Wii's. Why? Because they run too much of a risk accidentally bricking legitimate untouched Wii's in the process. No amount of beta testing can prepare for that. You think hackers would be pissed, what happens when you got a bunch of pissed off soccer mom's on your hands because they can't play their Wii Fit?

Shiny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardcore Gamer said:
It can't be a case of being glad Nintendo are so soft because no company ever has bricked someone's console. Look at Microsoft, you go to update windows with a dodgy copy and they tell you on their website that your windows is dodgy and just don't allow you to update. They don't brick your PC.

If Nintendo purposely sent a program down while you were online to brick your wii that's basically sending a virus to you which I'm sure is illegal. Unless someone can prove me wrong. If it was legal then why haven't we seen it yet by MS, Sony or Ninty?
Nintendo will NOT purposefully brick your console, but this does NOT mean that it can't happen accidentally. They're not going to go out of their way to ensure that updates are compatible with homebrew modifications; they will design it to work with their own software and only theirs. If any incompatibilities arise between their updates and your modifications, then you're on your own. It's up to homebrewers themselves to make sure that their console doesn't get bricked.

The worst that Nintendo would ever do purposefully is ban your Wii from their online service.

Supah Eirian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an idea, don't mod your Wii.

Sure, you thought a $5-$50 a game was expensive, now go buy a new Wii, douchebags....

-------------------------------------------------------

Besides, like Shiny said, there are on-line communities (such as this) to discuss and research before you go out and put a foreign chip in your console. That's the risk you'll have to live with if you are going to, just don't get caught with your hands in the cookie jar.

You made your bed, now sleep in it.

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo are not going to brick your console. It's your property, they have no right to alter it without you express permission, hence all the prompts before anything is added or removed via updates.

What they do control however, is access to their services, i.e Wi-Fi connection and Wii Connect 24, both of which they would be rightfully able to withdraw your access to, as you have breached either their terms of service, or the acceptable use policy by having an un-authorised device attached to their network.

As stated earlier, accidental bricks because of software conflicts may arise in the future. However, there will be nothing sinister about it if it happens. Nintendo know that end users are now able to decrypt and read the contents of any data signed and distributed by them. Anything which is a cause of bricks will be well picked over and anything malicious easily discovered, leaving them in a whole lot of legal hot water.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
mark187 said:
Nintendo are not going to brick your console. It's your property, they have no right to alter it without you express permission, hence all the prompts before anything is added or removed via updates.

What they do control however, is access to their services, i.e Wi-Fi connection and Wii Connect 24, both of which they would be rightfully able to withdraw your access to, as you have breached either their terms of service, or the acceptable use policy by having an un-authorised device attached to their network.

As stated earlier, accidental bricks because of software conflicts may arise in the future. However, there will be nothing sinister about it if it happens. Nintendo know that end users are now able to decrypt and read the contents of any data signed and distributed by them. Anything which is a cause of bricks will be well picked over and anything malicious easily discovered, leaving them in a whole lot of legal hot water.

You're right. But no one with installed VC games or a modded wii is going to rush straight in and download and update without knowing it's safe. They'll wait to see what the scene says about it or wait until they know it's safe if they have any sense.

I think they will eventually ban people from the shop and other wi-fi stuff by forcing some update to access it but what if it's an EA game, I doubt they can ban you from that, it's EA properties.

Then again, we're talking about a few thousand people doing this out of 50 million Wii's sold. I doubt they give a chuff unless they start to see things like rampant cheating online.

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see them banning people from the shops either. It's counter productive. You stole our stuff off a website! Now we ban you from our store that we were hoping you'd buy something from....not going to solve their problem. I do see them sending updates more frequently patching holes here and there, possible making a check everytime you connect to the internet that disables any installed VC's they don't have a ticket for you paying for, etc...hard to say really..I think this is going to end up being like the DTV Wars...update, patch, update, patch, update, patch, update, patch

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's an idea, don't mod your Wii.

Sure, you thought a $5-$50 a game was expensive, now go buy a new Wii, douchebags....

-------------------------------------------------------

do your maths dickhead i have downloaded and burnt 30 +wii games now the average price of games in australia is 85 dollars thats nearly 3000 $ worth of games now i am sure you can work out for youself how many wiis i can buy for that...

naijan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've taken the VC games "risk", but - Nintendo simply cannot brick Wii's for any reason. The only reason it's currently tolerated; is because all brickings are done via different region updates - the very reason there's now a disclaimer screen prior to all on-disc updates.

There's something called liability, & negligence. Much like I cannot electrify the bars on my windows to prevent a would-be thief (yes, a thief can sue you for getting hurt whilst breaking into your home) - Nintendo cannot release an update with even a whiff of an intent to brick your Wii. Such as releasing (to the proper region - very important, as updates are done almost automatically through WiiConnect24) an update, which by a happy coincidence, bricks Wii's with homebrew installed ...

Dealing with piracy once it's already established, is very tricky for Nintendo on a legal note. The fact is, piracy is already out there at this point - & the "piracy" of VC games doesn't even involve voiding the warranty; which is very important. Now, since Nintendo are of course aware of this; any releases they issue must have this taken into consideration ... or you'll have a bunch of people (claiming ignorance) suing on the grounds of negligence; which obviously isn't what they want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?