The Ultimate Nintendo DS ROM Hacking Guide!

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by GuardianSoul, May 3, 2011.

1. Moonlight_Gleam

Moonlight_Gleam Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2016
    Great guide. Got to rip most of SolaToRobo using some improvisation. However, I've run across what seem to be the levels configuration files, which are .ccbwi files, and none of these programs seem to be able to open them. Anyone has run into something like this?

JavaScribe likes this.
  2. gbatempistheworstsiteever

gbatempistheworstsiteever Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    Albania
    PLEASE, HELP!
    I'm trying to simply extract the sprites from the DS agmes Last Window: The Secret of Cape West and all the files are .pack files. I don't see any guide on what to do with the .pack files.

3. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    Is there a way to automatically extract all subfolders within a file through Console Tool (3.0)? It seems to be the only program capable of understanding CyberConnect2 Batch files (.ccb). The .nds file I'm looking at has everything compressed with LZ77, then put into .ccb files, then put into folders grouped by where it appears in the game. It has hundreds (literally*) of .ccb files, which only Console Tool can so much as recognize what they are, and I really don't want to have to extract them one by one.

Literally spoilers
    — Posts manually merged - Please don't double post! —

Console Tools can open them as hex files, it seems. Make sure you decompress them first, as they are compressed with LZ77. BatchLZ77 is unable to decompress those when you run the whole ROM through, because they are inside of .ccb files, which BatchLZ77 can't seem to look inside of.

Last edited by JavaScribe, Aug 2, 2017
  4. blustorm12

blustorm12 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    Canada
    thank you 2008-2011 from 2017 we appreciate your guides for late rom hacking lol

5. Necromancir

Necromancir Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    Hi, there I am a student studying about game programming.
    firstly, I apologize that I don't have enoguh time to see what you have written.
    and Furthmore I am not sure you will make answer for me.
    but I have been trying to ask something.

I guess, I can decompile Image but I am not sure whether if i can get some "source code" or not.
    Cuz I really need it to improve my programming skill.
    I am really sorry that I don't read all of it.
    but My national lanaguage is not english. and you know that to study programming is really hard and....cost too much time.
    anyway, Thank you for posting about this. Happy new year :)

Last edited by Necromancir, Dec 31, 2017
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You are unlikely to get any particularly useful source code for DS games. Princess maker accidentally included some code in some versions, other times we have pulled build scripts and such from games and other times still games are written in things like lua which have interpreters (though not ones you can so easily get back to code for like some PC games).

If games are the sort of thing you can focus on and want to look at for coding practice then I might suggest https://osgameclones.com/
    Not all games are terribly well coded, and may not be written in the languages you are focusing upon, but you can get something.

7. blustorm12

blustorm12 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2017
    Canada
    You'd need some kind of decompiler I can't remember the site but if I find it I'll share a link it has a .zip that's full of useful programs like crystal lake to help rip apart games for the ds

8. Necromancir

Necromancir Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    thanks bro. .but i am still confusing. how to use perfectly what you gave me. I clicked some but it doesn't seed to have source code.. contrary with my expect.
    is there any source code ?
    I guess i can just access wiki pedia.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If that was for me then on https://osgameclones.com/ if you click on the link in (repo) it will take you to it.
    Some might be SVN links which not all browsers support. In most cases if you remove the initial svn part
    For instance
    Code:
    svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/bombic2/code/
    Becomes
    Code:
    http://svn.code.sf.net/p/bombic2/code/ or just svn.code.sf.net/p/bombic2/code/ 
    and it will load up fine.

What blustorm12 said does not really exist for DS games (it barely exists for PC games). There are plenty of tools to pull apart DS games into their constituent files but they are not going to be source code or anything like it, and in most cases even if it was then you would have to do an awful lot of work to even get it close to compiling.