Hardware The Switch will kill the 3DS.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The fact that the Switch is both a home/handheld hybrid console is the exact reason why it'll kill both the Wii U and the 3DS, as having one ecosystem to take care of is a lot simpler than taking care of two.
Well it depends. If there is only one version of the Switch with a 1-hour battery life, either we need a new handheld or people will keep using their 3DS.
But if they have a version of the Switch that is more meant to be portable (just to have 1 ecosystem as you said, but still giving people the choice between pure handheld or both handhled/home) with non-detachable controllers and a better battery life (which could be achieved due to having everything in one case and no wireless controllers), then yeah, that would "kill" the 3DS.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well, what about StreetPass on the Switch? :tpi:
you just go on the street with the playcon\joycon on your hand, when you see a stranger also with a joycon in his hand you both trade the joycons...

with this new street pass you can either get the following:
a joycon with drugs instead of a battery
a normal joycon with a brand new battery (in exchange for your own joycon that lasts 10 seconds)
a joycon full of dirty stuff like a white substance and smelling funny

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you just go on the street with the playcon\joycon on your hand, when you see a stranger also with a joycon in his hand you both trade the joycons...

with this new street pass you can either get the following:
a joycon with drugs instead of a battery
a normal joycon with a brand new battery (in exchange for your own joycon that lasts 10 seconds)
a joycon full of dirty stuff like a white substance and smelling funny
Sounds legit.
Nintendo is always thinking how to promote trade and socializing in your neighborhood.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else feel like there was too large of a gap between the SNES and the N64? Like, we didn't even get a 32-bit console. We went from a 16-bit sprite scaler, to a full-on 3D polygon rendering machine. It just feels to me like something is missing in-between.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does anyone else feel like there was too large of a gap between the SNES and the N64? Like, we didn't even get a 32-bit console. We went from a 16-bit sprite scaler, to a full-on 3D polygon rendering machine. It just feels to me like something is missing in-between.
Well, the 32/64/whatever bits is just a nomenclature that is laughable, just take a look at the do the math commercial of the Jaguar to see what I mean.
You see, if the Jaguar, that produced graphics barely better than a SNES with SuperFX was "64 bits", then what is this whole stupidity on talking about he CPU word length.
Also, home PCs had a word length of 32 bits until way into the 2000s, and those machines produced GFX at the level of a X360/PS3 at least.
The "bits" thing is BS. The N64 had nonetheless a nice advanced GPU with hardware T&L and all, it was an advancement. But it wasn't so much above the PS1 and it was a logical step up from the SNES anyway given the times.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
so, when we get 512-bit computers D:

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That was Mario Kart 9.
I would concede to "Mario Kart NX" or "Mario Kart 8 NX edition" or whatever.
But calling Mario Kart 9 a game that looks almost the same as Mario Kart 8 with some minimal DLC-worthy upgrades sounds to me like a ripoff.

PS: And where I say NX, write Switch if you will, but it sounds kind of stupid. Hmmm. No way calling something "Whatever Switch Edition".

Reactions: Deleted User

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I would concede to "Mario Kart NX" or "Mario Kart 8 NX edition" or whatever.
But calling Mario Kart 9 a game that looks almost the same as Mario Kart 8 with some minimal DLC-worthy upgrades sounds to me like a ripoff.

PS: And where I say NX, write Switch if you will, but it sounds kind of stupid. Hmmm. No way calling something "Whatever Switch Edition".
I have seen many posts stating that they are "enhanced ports" of the Wii U games. So hopefully we'll get all the DLC and stuff bundled in at no extra cost. ^_^

so, when we get 512-bit computers D:
I'd settle for 128-bit computing. Or developers that weren't too lazy to make 64-bit native apps that actually pump 64-bits of data, instead of just making something "64-bit" that just runs 32-bit code through it.

Reactions: Deleted User

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users