The R4 sucks blows now?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Nero, Aug 18, 2008.

Aug 18, 2008

The R4 sucks blows now? by Nero at 7:53 PM (3,279 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Nero
    OP

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Hey guys.. I've decided to come back after seeing Neogeo on the DS. (WTF seriously..) Seeing as I grew up playing those in the arcades.. Yeah lol. [​IMG]

I hear the R4 team died, R4s will brick my DS, wtf. Is there anything wrong with the compatibility now? I tried Etrian Odyssey 2 and it wont work. Maybe the newest version will work, but I saw some post saying R4 team released a Firmware that bricks DSes.

I really dont want to shell out money and go to the post office to pick up that shit, etc.. I just would like to know the current Homebrew and Game compatibility with R4..

2. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

The bricking announcement was rumor

Just upgrade to latest R4DS firmware

3. Nero
    OP

United States
    Hmm.. I see. Do you know about the current Homebrew compatibility? Also.. If R4 doesn't play Neogeo I'm gonna shoot myself XD [​IMG]

4. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The R4 still has great compatibility, but the price is the issue, for what it has to offer. [And the fact there are clones..Fakes..]

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

As far as I've heard, the R4 does allow the Neogeo emu, for it has DLDI. Upgrading to the latest R4 software will fix A LOT of issues.

5. Nero
    OP

United States
    I see.. Thanks. Price isn't an issue. I bought it a year ago.. When it was $30.

EDIT: rofl I just noticed I messed the title up.. That's what happens when you multitask.

6. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany

Says who?
    source plz.

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the same is said about proving its real. one random forum post by someone NOT related to the r4 dev team gets copied here and all of a sudden the r4 will brick your ds on sept 15th. no firmware will be released on the 15th, the whole thing is fake. accept it and move on.

the r4 has recently been shipped legit but as a clone: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=99503

as for homebrew, i've found only ds puzzle maniac won't run on my r4. but then again it won't run on my slot2 m3 lite either. everything else i've toyed with (and i do alot of homebrew) runs fine and auto dldi patches.

for homebrew, development, the older class of nds games (basically 2000 roms) all work very well. its a great kit and i'm glad i own one.

-another world

8. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Also I would like to point out, that I own an R4 myself and got it when it was one of the best flashcards on the market. Sadly thats not true anymore.

9. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Compatibility is great, there has been a few roms that have to have the arm7 patch since the firmware hasn't been updated but still work, the lastest ones was the incredible hulk, and I think carnival games?!

NeoGeo DS works on my R4, but i'm sure its the same on other carts where gameplay is normal then slows down and picks up again while playing the MS series, and a few others. This would be great if it used the expansion pack ram in my EZ3in1.

I'm moving onto a EDGE card but love my R4, i'm gonna miss it, Its a spring loaded one that has been great for me!

10. PyroJames

Member PyroJames GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yes, Neo Geo DS does indeed work on R4. I've loaded my R4 with tons of Neo Geo goodness like the Metal Slug series, Wind Jammers, King of Fighters and some Samurai Shodown games. Ahhhhh, the memories...