The Pet Peeve Thread

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wolvenreign said:
7) Snipers in all FPSs, even if they're multiplayer or designed around balance (TF2). God, why. Why do we continue to need the capability to instantly kill someone from far away without them being able to do anything about it? Hm? Even if you aren't caught by surprise, well, it's time to grab your ankles and kiss your ass goodbye. No matter how good you are, no matter what you did up until that point, even if you're engaged with something else, you deserve to die because some retard wants to push your reset button. What the fuck, game designers? What is wrong with you that you have to assume that because it's an FPS, it requires a Sniper?
Because it's an FPS, they usually try mirror real warfare and real weapons, it's be kind of odd not to add it.

Also, not all assumptions are arrogant, most aren't

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wolvenreign said:
6) Cultural monogamy. Once long ago, the greed of the Catholic church prompted the pope to write a new law into existence. You see, if a given family had more heirs, the family fortune would be passed down to the next generation. If a family had less heirs, there was more of a probability of the fortune going to the church. And lo, monogamy was born! One man, one woman! It makes me sick to see people still assume this to be true, as though it were anthropologically correct. Protip: It isn't.
ROFL!!! You think that monogamy was created by the Roman Catholic church?
rofl.gif

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. I was reading this well documented article about it a while back, how it was historical and there were several accounts testifying for it.

Well, I'm not saying that matters. If I can't find the proof right now, I will currently take it back. If, at some point, I find that elusive thing, I'll post it.

Peace.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-Popular music these days.
-Soccer. It is WAY too popular here and everyone thinks you're weird if you don't have a favourite club.
-Games that are too easy.
-Most modern popular shooters.
-Apple products. They are popular because they look good (Where I live at least, don't hate me, hate them) and the looks don't justify the price.
-Incorrect use of its and it's.
-People who hate on Pokemon or Nintendo in general just because it's not cool, or even worse, not High Definition.
-Games that assume everyone has a HUGE HDTV, making all text completely unreadable on my old TV. (Monster Hunter Tri, lots of PS3 games)
-Latin and Ancient Greek (The languages). Seriously, what's the point of learning them? (I have to
frown.gif
)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, this just came to me.

(Note: This isn't an attack on any posters here who believe differently)

I'm tired of people saying that Anime aren't cartoons. Going by definitions, anime ("a Japanese style of motion-picture animation") falls within the spectrum of cartoons ("a motion picture consisting of a sequence of drawings, each so slightly different that when filmed and run through a projector the figures seem to move." Definition of animated cartoon, but still").

Anime has a lot of differences with American animation, European animation, etc., but they all fall under the banner of cartoon.

I don't know, I just think the thing that bugs me the most is that "cartoon" is regarded as an ugly word, more of an insult than anything else. Many people assume that calling something a cartoon means you are calling it immature, unsophisticated, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I just resent that notion, and it bugs me to no end.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
People who call themselves hardcore gamers because they play CoD. Or generally any FPS released today (with a few exceptions of some unique ones). Just because your a 6378th prestige on CoD doesn't mean you're the best gamer ever in history.

People who judge how good a game will be entirely on graphics. That's so wrong I just can't even explain.

People who hate hard on people who are prejudice, or the concept of being prejudice. Doesn't that just make you prejudice against people who are prejudice? Think about it.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who use "Nintendo" to refer to any given product by Nintendo.

Example:

QUOTE said:
Me: (Showing my cousin my DSi XL)

Cousin: "Oh that's a cool Nintendo!"

QUOTEMe: (At Costco) Yes, I'd like to buy the 3DS.

Female Employee: "The Nintendo? Oh, ok."

(She then proceeds to pull out 3 of them.)

...It was so hard not to rage...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. Fanboys. Being a fan of something is one thing, but being so obsessed with something that you feel the need to be a total dick about it just gets under my skin.
2. People who find the best time to buy something stupid is during severe weather. You know, there is a blizzard, but damn it! I need that new 90in HD TV!
3. Shoes.
4. Haters. Just people who hate for no logical reason, it bugs me.
5. Ignorant religious people. People using religion as a means to hate or just blindly follow something without question or thought just annoy me. Religion isn't something used to avoid education, logic, nor open-mindedness.
6. Stereotypical anime. That is all.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
1. Fanboys. Being a fan of something is one thing, but being so obsessed with something that you feel the need to be a total dick about it just gets under my skin.
2. People who find the best time to buy something stupid is during severe weather. You know, there is a blizzard, but damn it! I need that new 90in HD TV!
3. Shoes.
4. Haters. Just people who hate for no logical reason, it bugs me.
5. Ignorant religious people. People using religion as a means to hate or just blindly follow something without question or thought just annoy me. Religion isn't something used to avoid education, logic, nor open-mindedness.
6. Stereotypical anime. That is all.
Other than 2, 3 and I'm on a fence about 6 (I give them a chance usually, but they end up disappointing me), I agree with you on all of those things.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
1.people that call me stupid,and dont know what Iq is
2.People that camp on COD
3.auto corect on ios devices
4.people that call themselves ds hackers cuz they have a flashcart
5.Fat kids picking on skinny kids. Its like dude your fat

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wait one thing that really bugs me, parents who buy their little kids mature video games then try to blame everyone like the stores or game developers and avoid responsibility.

Although I am really annoyed with how every game nowadays has to so "dark" why not just a fun game?
Also why so may FPS's?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
machomuu said:
5-12 year olds on any online game. Not all of them, just most of them.

I was playing TF2 earlier and this one kid every 5 seconds over the mic "Spy, Spy, Spy, Danger", "Spy", "There's a spy", "Spy, Spy, Spy"

WE KNOW FFS! STFU!

Thankfully an admin soon entered the server so he was eventually muted.

So yeah, pet peeve right there ¬_¬

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But AGLC, haters are going to hate no matter what you do. It's an unspoken of the universe.

Anyway, next Pet Peeve: The Ending to Watchmen. Well, not the ending, but the final panels/scene. Spoilers from here on out.

(Note: It has been a little while since I read the comic, so I my memory might be a bit rusty.)

Alright, Watchmen. What else is there to say about it? It's one of the most respected and cherished comics ever made, and deservedly so. It's smart, clever, and a hell of a deconstruction of the idea of the super hero.

However, one thing has always bugged me about it: the ending. No, not the reveal of Ozymandias' plot to unify the world under the banner of an intergalactic invasion/the wrath of Dr. Manhattan; that's a great, morally ambiguous twist. My problem comes with the very, very final scene.

Just to recap: Rorschach suicide by cop'd after learning about Ozy's plan, knowing that he couldn't allow it to proceed, but, at the same time, that it was also the only hope man had left. However, he had been keeping a journal of his investigation, and before embarking to Ozy's Arctic base, he sent it to his favorite right wing newspaper. The ending shows that, desperate for a news story in a utopia without conflict, they may go ahead and publish it. This would, as Dr. Manhattan hinted, lead to the destruction of Ozy's plan.

...Or not. There are a lot of holes in this ending. Seriously, a lot. I'm going to list them all as they come up.

1) They might not even publish it.

The police already had a fake copy of Rorschach's journal, but... only Rorschach knew that, and he's dead. The editor might figure that this journal is the fake and discard it.

2) Who would believe them?

Even if, however, the editor decided to run the story, well... who would give a shit? The newspaper (the name has slipped my mind) is shown as basically being a tabloid, only adhered to by right wing nutjobs (like Rorschach). Meanwhile, Ozymandias is a respected businessman, former superhero, and one of the most renowned men in the world.

Who's side do you think the majority of the public is going to take?

3) Ozymandias has more money than God.

Seriously. Even if they ran this story and people would believe it (that's a huge stretch), what's stopping Ozymandias from buying them out and/or bribing them to stay silent. The dude (according to the film) has enough money to make the Oil Companies his bitch; a small paper in New York should be no problem.

4) How will this story get out?

Getting sidetracked, even if the story is published, well... it's a small company situated in New York. I doubt any major newspaper would pick the story up for the above mentioned reason, so how would anyone else in the country, let alone the world, find out about this? In a world without the internet, it would take a good amount of time for this story to spread, more than enough time for Ozy to silence it.

5) Ozymandias has no qualms with murdering people

Sure, he doesn't like to. But in order to achieve his goal, he killed The Comedian, an island full of psychics, his entire science staff and aids, etc. Not that it's done... why would he stop? If this paper and its staff posed that much of a threat, I think he would despose of them, if there was no other option, in a heartbeat.

6) An investigation would prove nothing

Let's recap: All of the key witnesses are either dead, unwilling to ruin the new, peaceful utopia, or in space trying to create new life. An island and an arctic outpost, both incredibly difficult to find, are the two major locations where this all went down. Both are owned by Ozymandias, who would have had more than enough time to eliminate/tamper with the evidence. The key document pointing to Ozy's guilt was written by a psychopath.

What would an investigation turn up again?

Now, I know you could argue that the point of the ending is that his utopia will inevitably fall, no matter the cause. I see what Moore was going for, but it would've been nice if he used something that didn't fall apart after a little bit of thought.

And please, I'm not insulting the book. Watchmen is a classic, almost perfect piece of literature, which unfortunately the flaws (like this plot point) all the more painful.

/rant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes that's why yours won't leave me alone