The Pet Peeve Thread

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Gahars, Aug 25, 2011.

Aug 25, 2011

The Pet Peeve Thread by Gahars at 2:11 AM (2,986 Views / 0 Likes) 73 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    So, are there some things that, no matter how tiny or insignifcant they are, just bug you? Don't worry, you're not alone. So, let's make a list of them, why not.

Off of the top of my head, I can think of two.

1) The Crucified Hero Shot - You know this. In every movie or tv show (probably even some music videos) where somebody makes the ultimate sacrifice, there is always that one shot where they fall backwards and land on the ground with their arms laid out to resemble Jesus on the cross. Yeah, we get it, the character died for others, like that Jesus fellow everyone's heard about.

It's a tired cliche that can be really distracting in otherwise good movies. Please, stop using it. Try some other symbolism for a change.

(Note: This doesn't apply to characters who are actually crucified. If you're going to go through all the effort to get a character crucified, then sure, that's fine.)

2) People misusing the word "irony". I know this is shared by a lot of people, but it always annoys me to no end.

It is the use of words to convey the opposite of its literal meaning. Or, as Bender puts it...

Irony is not the same thing as coincidence, so please, for the love of God, stop using it like that. It's wrong, seriously.

(Note: This is NOT directed at anyone in the forum. I just see it all the time on Facebook and it is a constant struggle to not bluntly correct them).

2. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Why does one of these not already exist? I was planning on making one so many times.

1. People who call anime "cartoons" and when people pronounce manga as "mAnga"

2. When people misuse the word irony

That is all for now.

3. DroRox

Member DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

United States
    When people misuse the world "literally".
    "It was literally raining cats and dogs." -____-

4. machomuu

United States
    People you know say that? That's pretty funny.

5. BowlOfSpiders

Member BowlOfSpiders hi

United States
    1: When people eat with their mouth open.
    2: When people are extremely dumb and can't do anything for themselves without messing it up. (Example? My oldest sister.)
    3: Super-Christians

6. machomuu

United States
    I've got more:

1. When people chew with their mouths open
    2. When people chew really loud or make noises that just irritate me with their mouths.
    3. When people call any games where you go on adventures "Adventure Games"

7. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    Christmas/Easter/"Insert Holiday Here" decorations appearing in supermarkets months before the event. Last year my local supermarket had Christmas stuff appearing in September - before they even bothered with the Halloween stuff [​IMG]

People who try to phone me, if you have my number it's because you're a family member who can use it in an emergency or have been given permission to text me.

99% of websites having Facebook integration and trying to shove it down my throat.

Hot sunny days. (yeah i'm a miserable git...)

Probably many more that i cannot think of right now.

8. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    People misusing the word "nauseous" irks me to no end.
    If you feel nausea, you are nauseated.
    Something that induces nausea in a person is nauseous.

I've had self-proclaimed linguists make this mistake in my presence.

9. Gahars
    OP

United States
    Here's another one: Grim-darkness.

What is that? Basically when a setting is dark to the point of the absurdity. All the characters are unlikable, the narrative is hopelessly devoid of anything that isn't scowls and bloodshed, every character is an asshole, etc. If everyone and everything in this fictional universe sucks, then why the hell should I care?

A notable offender is the Gears of Wars series. Jesus Christ, Gears of War...

(Notes: That's not to say that a piece of fiction can't be dark; far from it. But when that's all there is, you have a problem. A good example of this done right, I would argue, is Watchmen. A bleak deconstruction of super heroes that also has sympathetic characters that the reader cares for, lighter moments to offset the darker ones, etc.

Also, Warhammer doesn't count. The Grim-dark nature of WH is the entire joke, which a lot of imitators don't seem to grasp.)

10. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I kinda have a Pet Peeve, but one that I don't act on.

You now what I called Ramen Noodles for awhile? (This was back when I was little mind you)

Roman Noodles.

Once I start actually pronouncing it the right way it kidna tick me a bit, because that's how everyone in my family said it. [​IMG]

11. someonewhodied

Member someonewhodied Lazy Person

United States
    1. Religious people
    2. People that say "You act slightly effeminate. You must be gay."
    3. Homework
    4. School
    5. People asking to "Borrow" money from me. (I don't mind if they actually pay me back...but....)

12. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    1. those who make a fuss over what i'm doing.
    2. those who make a fuss over what i have.

13. JustChillin1414

Member JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Canada
    Extremely religious people, especially people who try to "convert" you [​IMG]

14. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I second that, if I wanted to join a cult i'd fine one better than Christianity

15. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    Thought of a couple more:

Anyone who points out my lack of conversational skills, I'm happy not talking, if the silence is uncomfortable that's your problem not mine.

People not indicating when leaving a roundabout, yeah thanks now i'm stuck waiting for longer when i could have gone, tosser.

16. J-Machine

Member J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    1.) People who blare inappropriate music. This is both for those who like curse filled rap and those who drive a low rider who listen to shania twain so loud you can hear the metal rattle.

2.) People who enjoy "logical" debates when really all they are doing is shoving theories as proof down my throat and making every point I make an excuse to throw the conversation off track with big words and statements used to insult me without actually pertaining to what i said or add to the conversation in any way.

17. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Irony can also be an outcome not expected for a given circumstance(s). For instance, an Olympic swimmer may drown in a kiddie pool. It can also be both ironic and a coincidence when 10 Olympic swimmers drown in a kiddie pool at the same time.

18. someonewhodied

Member someonewhodied Lazy Person

United States
    A few more

1. People that say the same thing over and over in an arguement.
    2. People that talk too much and don't shut up.
    3. Homos that go after me.
    4. Loud sounds.
    5. When someone puts a dog out in the middle of the night on my street.

19. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Stupid people who INSIST on making me believe that they're smarter than I think they are (i.e. People who attempt to convince me that their R4 is capable of running 3DS roms).

Anyone who wants to convert me into anything I'm not (i.e. Religious fuck-heads, pot-preachers).

Kids who can tell me the name of any Gen5 Pokemon but give me a blank, baffled stare when I mention Charizard.

People without enough common sense to understand when they're revolting (i.e. chewing with your mouth open, nose picking, etc.).

People who think that "The Internet" means 4chan, and people who think 4chan is /b/.

Coffee Elitists.

Vegans.

The generally ignorant (i.e. Racists, sexists, feminists, etc.).

EDIT: The way spiders and centipedes move...

20. Gahars
    OP

United States
    Right, though it is important to stress, something can be both ironic and coincidental, but irony doesn't mean coincidence. That was my issue.