'The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon' DLC available on Nintendo Switch

peril on gorgon.jpeg

After releasing on PC and other consoles late last year, The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon, the first of two expansions to Obsidian's spacefaring adventure, was released last week on the Nintendo Switch. A new trailer with in-game footage aired on launch, giving you an idea as to what to expect of the game on Nintendo's hybrid console.

A severed arm and a mysterious message lead the crew of the Unreliable to the Gorgon Asteroid, formerly the site of one of Halcyon’s most ambitious and disastrous scientific undertakings, now a lawless den of monsters and marauders. Wealthy recluse Minnie Ambrose tasks the crew with finding answers about Dr. Olivia Ambrose, her mother and the doomed project’s disgraced director, but they are soon ensnared in an intrigue that will change the colony forever.

Of course, since it's a Switch port, some concessions are expected graphically and performance-wise. I went into this DLC knowing (and fully expecting) this but I was positively surprised that it still fared better than the base game did when it first launched on Nintendo's console (which suffered from blurry textures and awful load times). But the latter received some patches later on which addressed those technical issues to make the game bear a more polished aesthetic (for Switch standards) and run smoother. These improvements seem to have been carried on to the Switch version of the DLC which ran rather smoothly. I did experience some dips in framerate, particularly during action-heavy sequences, but these weren't game-breaking and bearable overall. As expected, it's not on par visually nor technically to the PC, PS4 or Xbox One versions, so you might want to consider those platforms unless you want to play the game on-the-go.

All things considered, Peril on Gorgon is still the same expansion that released on other platforms some months ago and which we reviewed at the time. You'll get to explore new locations teeming with new enemy variants while uncovering some of The Outer Worlds' lore. Gorgon offers its fair share of the latter not just by way of the fresh plot that lodges itself in the main quest but also through passive storytelling via abundant notes and audio logs you come across by exploring. You'll also get access to previously unreachable areas in places you've been before that helps keep things interesting for the explorers among us.

While the DLC adds some 5-ish more hours to the base game and tells a brand-new story with multiple possible endings, the gameplay is still the same to the base game without any significant changes or additions (save for a couple of new weapons and an increased level cap). This might be a downer for those expecting something new or improved from how the main game played. The same could be expected for the second DLC which is expected to launch later this year but I hope I'm wrong and see Obsidian bring something new in terms of gameplay for its final DLC installment.

If you want to learn more about The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon, I would recommend checking out our full review linked below. The DLC can be purchased from the Nintendo eShop for $15/£12 individually or at a discount in The Outer Worlds Expansion Pass bundle $25/£20. The expansion is also available for PC, PS4, Xbox One as well as PS5 and Xbox Series X (through backwards compatibility).

:arrow:The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon GBAtemp Review
:arrow:The Outer Worlds Nintendo Switch Review

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
base game is at $30 on the eShop currently
That’s a bit cheaper than anywhere else near me and definitely seems worth the investment for me to be able to play Outer Worlds in random areas.

Reactions: Prans

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you have a PC or other console, it's probably better to go that route. While Ori is an example of a good port, this game and Witcher 3 are just not worth it imo.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you have a PC or other console, it's probably better to go that route. While Ori is an example of a good port, this game and Witcher 3 are just not worth it imo.
I prefer gaming on my Switch due to my busy lifestyle preventing me from say, playing on my PS4. I am also not a PC gamer and have desire to get into PC gaming. So if the game runs well enough on my Switch, then that’s where I will play it.

Reactions: Ishzark

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I prefer gaming on my Switch due to my busy lifestyle preventing me from say, playing on my PS4. I am also not a PC gamer and have desire to get into PC gaming. So if the game runs well enough on my Switch, then that’s where I will play it.
I'm in a similar boat too. I'm all for gaming on handhelds over booting my PC but if there's no other way, I'll have to play through a game on the latter.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm in a similar boat too. I'm all for gaming on handhelds over booting my PC but if there's no other way, I'll have to play through a game on the latter.
I rarely run into situations where a game that I want to play isn’t ported to the Switch. The rare situation, like Subnautica, where I want to play it but the Switch it’s not currently released, I just wait. I know a lot of people aren’t about that but I am not in a hurry. I can play it on my wife’s PC but I am also cool with just waiting and enjoying the games I do have. I am not one to care much about having games immediately when I still have games I haven’t finished.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I rarely run into situations where a game that I want to play isn’t ported to the Switch. The rare situation, like Subnautica, where I want to play it but the Switch it’s not currently released, I just wait. I know a lot of people aren’t about that but I am not in a hurry. I can play it on my wife’s PC but I am also cool with just waiting and enjoying the games I do have. I am not one to care much about having games immediately when I still have games I haven’t finished.
I don't mind waiting either but if a port has not been announced, I'll have to turn to PC. The latest game was Cyberpunk 2077. also I don't mind switching platforms if they offer something different like VR.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

That's why I mentioned the Witcher 3 port as a benchmark to manage your expectation. If you'd play that on the switch as opposed to the PS4 option, then it'd probably be comparable for Outer Worlds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2