Gaming The Nintendo Wii

memyselfandi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow, people are really retarded... you're telling me that you WON'T buy this just because of it's name? you would have to an idiot to make that decision. I like wii.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look guys I don't really care what Nintendo names it, if its an awesome game system I'm still probably gonna buy it. But to most people, the name will matter.

The problem is - you're having to defend it. You're having to explain it. See my post above - this is not a good thing. Better get used to defending and explaining, too, cuz with a name like "Wii" it aint ever gonna stop.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just realised myself, like many others on this board, have been though the 5 phases of Wii.

1. Non-acceptance : "This can't be true"
2. The moment of doom : "Holy Cow, it is!"
3. Rejection : "What a horrible name! Sounds like my wee!" [insert joke]
4. Logical Thinking : "It's still gonna be kickass."
5. Acceptance : "You know, Wii actually sounds pretty cool."

I'm at 5, and probably the hidden 6th : " Damn, I want one NOW. "

Wii for teh Wii-n.

[EDIT]
Any other jap speakers realise the "coincidence" with the japanese word "ii" for "good" ?
I sure did.
smile.gif

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realised myself, like many others on this board, have been though the 5 phases of Wii.

1. Non-acceptance : "This can't be true"
2. The moment of doom : "Holy Cow, it is!"
3. Rejection : "What a horrible name! Sounds like my wee!" [insert joke]
4. Logical Thinking : "It's still gonna be kickass."
5. Acceptance : "You know, Wii actually sounds pretty cool."

I'm at 5, and probably the hidden 6th : " Damn, I want one NOW. "

Wii for teh Wii-n.

that's called rationalization. it's how the human mind trains itself to cope with sucky situations.

KotaInka2

Fanboy Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame they didn't capitalize the "i"s in it, as you see how easily WII turns into WTF?

Interesting marketing maneuver at a time when they can't aford to make mistakes. Good luck Nintendo.

Game....Set....Match.

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah i gone all thoses phases and im at the 6th one now
tongue.gif

i don't know if nintendo saw it that way too , but in french Wii has the same sound as Oui , which is Yes in french.

Like i say Oui to Wii

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
I like the logo i just don't like the Wii=WE thing. I cant imagine games reviews

"And now we take a look at the latest WE games on the market, today ill be looking at Zelda for the WE"

It's sounds weird to me at the moment but i guess ill get used to it. When i look at the logo i want to pronounce it WHY...just sounds better imo.

The way they are trying to market the machine to non gamers and to bring people together to play games is a great idea but they should realise that mums and dads wont be spending on games like we do and that way of marketing the console prolly wont bring in anymore sales ?

Anyway roll on e3.... fk the names bring on the games

mcsquared

Trophies
XP
Country
If you gotta defend it, its not a good thing.
If you gotta explain it, its not a good thing.
If it reminds you, even for a second, of an excremetory function, it's not a good thing.
If it makes your dad think you're gay when you ask for one for Christmas, it's not a good thing.

This is not a good thing.

so true, i'll buy one because the games wil be good but little johnny and his mates will all buy a PS3 instead because 'its dearer so it must be better' and the name sounds like piss - huge mistake by the big N, putting themselves at a disadvantage even before launch, whoever the marketing director is must be paid a lot of money for old rope, coming soon the NeoGeo Turd
smile.gif

The Worst

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
GBAplace.net
XP
Country
United States
ima go eat your moms xbox, and after that imma take a ps 2

for real just becuase it is a little used nickname for the penis, when i first read it i thought: WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! like when your swingin on a swingset, not about my penis. Maybe it's becuase there are so many better thing to call your penis. Wang, Slong, Cock, they make it sound cool but if you call your penis a wee then it's prob. b/c it's just a wee little thing

toot.gif

The Worst

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
GBAplace.net
XP
Country
United States
Look guys I don't really care what Nintendo names it, if its an awesome game system I'm still probably gonna buy it. But to most people, the name will matter.

The problem is - you're having to defend it. You're having to explain it. See my post above - this is not a good thing. Better get used to defending and explaining, too, cuz with a name like "Wii" it aint ever gonna stop.

i'll just explain to them that when you use the controler and turn it sideways in a fps then you can cap fools gangsta style. In the END gameplay is all that matters

Xboxed

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i'll just explain to them that when you use the controler and turn it sideways in a fps then you can cap fools gangsta style. In the END gameplay is all that matters

I just noticed it your sign and rules man!!!!!!!!

ON TOPIC: I also think that one of the best Gaming Console names ever, along with Lynx, was Genesis. Wii is kinda "hum?" or "what?"...but definetly not hrth....AT ALL.

Spanish wise, Wii sounds like... I guess doesn't sound like spanish at all, so Latinamericans will buy this console without problems.

Maybe at the US-MX border, getting into a store an asking "Can you give me a Wii?" will give you a stash of marihuana or something. Besides that, I don't see a problem for Nintendo at all.

Peace

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvA_fNxRcw0