Gaming The Nintendo Wii

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, if the name is suppose to convey the idea of "w-e" with the two i's representing people playing with the revmote, then that pretty much confirms the idea that the Rev . . . Wii will ship with two sets of controllers.

Weeeeeeeeee!

Ummm.... bad logic. Don't count on it. In no way does the name confirm shipment with two controllers.

But yeah. The name isn't all bad... I've coped.
Confirm was the wrong word to use, more like a better possibility.
happy.gif

The name just looks like a set of revmotes so I was being hopeful that that was the reason Nintendo created Wii. I guess deep down I just want to be able to play Samba de Amigo right out of the box. (Note to Sega: make Samba de Amigo Wii.)

ScipioAfricanus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The day Nintendo flew over the cukcoo's nest. Someone needs a strong wake up slap at nintendo. What the hell "Wii", i think nintendo are taking the 'catering games for all ages' thing too seriuosly. To be honest i think this is the last nail in nintendo's coffin. I hope they survive but i doubt children are gonna be asking thier parents to get them a Wii for christmas unless they are expecting a stool sample
smile.gif
lol.
I think sony and microsoft are laughing so hard, they can't even belive thier luck. I hope i am wrong and nintendo does well this generation, i just can't get my head around the name lol.

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
............. you have got to be kidding me. at first i thought you guys were joking........ wow........ this is whack. im all for nintendo but this is just crap.

i can just imagine telling my firends. "yo guys i gotta wii" and they will be like "dude just use the freakin bathroom" j/k lol wierd name. i doubt it will stay but who knows

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
............. you have got to be kidding me. at first i thought you guys were joking........ wow........ this is whack. im all for nintendo but this is just crap.

i can just imagine telling my firends. "yo guys i gotta wii" and they will be like "dude just use the freakin bathroom" j/k lol wierd name. i doubt it will stay but who knows
I don't know. I'm starting to warm up to the name. Plus it makes a fun sig.
laugh.gif

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
you know i think that name is pretty pathetic. it sounds like it is either made for french people, homosexuals, asian people, or children. nintendo has stated they want to change there image, but people won't take them literally. be honest is a regular person going to buy a sony console if it wasn't a playstation, or buy a microsoft system not called the xbox? maybe put both companies did research and found that they do better if they keep there name, what's with nintendo and changing the name everytime? they get no benefits from the regular joe that knew what an nes, or snes was, but whats a wii. they should go with something like a previous poster stated and call it the nes5. i'm sorry, but i think word of mouth is going to die, because no one is going to brag to friends or buddies that they got a wii. and i feel sorry for the little video game nerds when it comes out, the kids in grade school, because they are going to get beat up so many times when they ask other kids if they want to play there wii. schools will ban the word being said for the sake of getting sued buy parents that think they kids at there local gradeschool are a bunch of perverts. yeah this is going to work real well, i wonder if nintendo will get sued, like mcdonalds did for supposedly making people fat. they are going to have alot of angry parents. there went all of the previous gamers for nintendo. i really wanted to support nintendo after non supporting them since snes, but if they are going to give names like this they are going to be the next sega anyway.

Welcome to this forum, I see this is your first post. How utterly not obnoxious for a first try.

Oh, wait.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they did this for the publicity.. I know they wouldn't get much recognition for a bland name like 'Revolution'

Now everyone know the almighty 'Wii'.. Good name or not, it doesn't matter anymore, people will recognize it now, hehe

doxology83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why thank you lol. want to know something really funny? i believe everything i said lol. seriously, that must have been the most missed up room of people that they ran that name by to see if people liked it. and and even scarier room must have been the one that originally came up with the name.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Heh, Hitto. I haven't ignored your statements, infact I always enjoy our debates.
smile.gif
I agree that getting people talking about ones product is the best kind of publicity. But the thing is, if non-fans don't like what they hear, then what's the point? So, I tested the theory. I took your thoughts, and my thoughts, and I took a real life poll of sorts. It wasn't much of a poll, but it was one none the less. I asked 5 different people I know (a couple were very casual gamers, and a few weren't gamers at all)... I asked them what they thought of the Nintendo Wii. I even explained it was spelled with two Is, and I vaguely explained the headen meaning behind the name (which is all they'd get in the first place). Every single one of their reactions was along the lines of: "Wtf, the Nintendo wee!? What kind of a crappy name is that? I was considering buying one, but now I don't think I will". Every. Single. One.

That's the face of the general consumer. That's average non-gamer Joe with little-to-no interest in games, and an extremely superficial way of looking at things. And that's who Nintendo alienated by picking such an "out there" title for their new console. They spoke of reaching a whole new area of the general consumer market, but in my eyes they just did the opposite. So yeah, I don't exactly see what you're arguing. I have no problem with the name myself (it grew on me), I'm merely saying not everyone is as open-minded about Nintendo's unique way of thinking... as the diehard Nintendo fans. The fans who would buy the system regardless. You seem to be stuck in this narrow "Nintendo will win them over eventually!" way of thinking. Whereas people who buy only Sony (etc) systems, or no systems at all, tend to stick with that route.

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry. Nintendo will get everyone flooding back once they start cranking out the games.
grog.gif

Besides. If people don't want to play an awesome system just because of the name... well then. It's their loss.
gba.gif

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, Hitto. I haven't ignored your statements, infact I always enjoy our debates.Â
smile.gif
 I agree that getting people talking about ones product is the best kind of publicity. But the thing is, if non-fans don't like what they hear, then what's the point? So, I tested the theory. I took your thoughts, and my thoughts, and I took a real life poll of sorts. It wasn't much of a poll, but it was one none the less. I asked 5 different people I know (a couple were very casual gamers, and a few weren't gamers at all)... I asked them what they thought of the Nintendo Wii. I even explained it was spelled with two Is, and I vaguely explained the headen meaning behind the name (which is all they'd get in the first place). Every single one of their reactions was along the lines of: "Wtf, the Nintendo wee!? What kind of a crappy name is that? I was considering buying one, but now I don't think I will". Every. Single. One.

That's the face of the general consumer. That's average non-gamer Joe with little-to-no interest in games, and an extremely superficial way of looking at things. And that's who Nintendo alienated by picking such an "out there" title for their new console. They spoke of reaching a whole new area of the general consumer market, but in my eyes they just did the opposite. So yeah, I don't exactly see what you're arguing. I have no problem with the name myself (it grew on me), I'm merely saying not everyone is as open-minded about Nintendo's unique way of thinking... as the diehard Nintendo fans. The fans who would buy the system regardless. You seem to be stuck in this narrow "Nintendo will win them over eventually!" way of thinking. Whereas people who buy only Sony (etc) systems, or no systems at all, tend to stick with that route.
While you make a valid point, you forgot something.

Your argument holds for, maximum, a year after the system launches. Hopefully by that time the games and unique gameplay the system offers will over ride any thoughts of "I'm not buying it because its named Wii".

In the end, name is inconsequential, if Nintendo does a good job of flaunting what the system can do.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Agreed, Kyoji. I merely meant it could make it difficult for the early days of the system. Word of mouth afterwards may or may not change the publics perception, only time will truely tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far