The new Homebrew Channel released!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Cjuub, May 24, 2008.

1. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    Yes, just change "homebrew" to "apps"

2. SkH

SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2006
    Algeria
    Awesome. Thank you very much!! [​IMG]

Anyways the Homebrew Launcher Channel wasn't bad either, I wonder why it hasn't got an APPS thread too... [​IMG]

3. lettuce

lettuce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 27, 2006
    And all my title.bmp's i used on the older channel still work and display correctly with this new one?

4. raid168

raid168 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2007
    Canada
    what's new this time?

usb load?

5. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    No.

6. zosh

zosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2007
    Papua New Guinea
    Enlighten me. WADs are, piracy or not, to share channels that otherwise cannot installed/shared, right? The Homebrew Channel comes with an installer everyone can use. So what's the point again of distributing a WAD of the Homebrew Channel (other than that the HBC Team may refuse all support for it)?

7. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    The point of distributing the .wad is for people who want to uninstall it later on. Using the data management way will still leave a ticket.

if the HBC Team refuse support for the wad then they are refusing support for their own app.

Are you Enlightened yet? [​IMG]

8. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    is anyone else getting no speech on the talkie scumm games with the packaged version?

worked fine on the one I had previous :S

9. lettuce

lettuce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 27, 2006
    So have any new icons been made for this yet?

10. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
  11. thebawp

thebawp Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2007
    The packaged version was the first one I used, I've tried out Fate of Atlantis and Sam & Max and both talkie versions are working (full sound).

12. [Truth]

[Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2006
    Germany
    Mushroom Kingdom
    why is this not on the front page???????
    what happened to this site.... [​IMG]

13. zosh

zosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2007
    Papua New Guinea
    Installing the HBC with its installer is not equal to installing its WAD with the WAD installer. There are differences. The Homebrew Channel has an update mechanism that relies on a controlled environment. Even if it may work fine, the HBC team cannot possibly support the bugs a WAD-installed version may show.

14. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    Well, sorry if you don't like me giving out the wad. It is there to stay because i know people want it and i know people will ask for it.

Sorry again.

15. zosh

zosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2007
    Papua New Guinea
    No need to be sorry, for anything. "Because it can be done" is a perfectly valid reason to do something, even if it's the only reason. I just feel people should be properly educated that, in this case, a WAD install has no advantages whatsoever and may cause inconveniences. That's all.

16. Stalkid64

Stalkid64 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2008
    United States
    Let's make this ultra simple for you people having a hard time with the idea.
    HBC updates online.
    WAD installed version = not what was expected. Things get corrupted.
    Ruined install *extremely likely*, possibly far worse. Also very likely.
    They do not and will not support WAD versions. Nor are you entitled to support for them. If you want to take such a huge, pointless risk, you may as well just go play with random system files now. They chose this method so they could as pointed out have a controlled environment for updates. You remove that safety feature... best of luck when the first update hits. I wouldn't want to be the one to find out how it reacts.

17. jan777

jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Jan 4, 2008
    well then lets see you uninstall the tik files

18. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    Well, it is up to the person who downloads the wad. I've put a little warning in my common download links.

19. jinxvorheeze

jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 13, 2008
    United States

Thank you for that educating post. [​IMG]

Now send us a link to this post where they said they chose the .elf install feature as a safety feature for controlled environment updates. I was under the assumption that they chose the .elf method to install the channel over the .wad file format because they created their own channel installer and this way they know it will work. Where as if they released it as a .wad file then people would need to use a 3rd party software to install it, and they have no way to bug support for such a thing. The HBC developers have always been about making sure their work is as good as it can be at the time of release. They would rather wrap the channel in their own installer, then to risk people using someone else's software that may not be up to their standards. It's a good thing, but does not mean that the .wad channel is going to work any differently then the .elf (installed) channel will. The .elf channel does not install any more data then the .wad version. It does not install anything different than the .wad channel. They can't support the .wad format because they cannot bugfix a program they did not develop.

But thanks, again. It was fun to read your paranoid delusional ramblings. When you learn more about the Wii and how it works, why don't you come back and "teach" us some more.

ALL THAT BEING SAID. I would recommend people use the .elf installer the first time they install the channel, that way if it does not install properly, then you can get support from the HBC team. Once it's installed properly, I would recommend using the .wad file Prime posted to add/remove the program PROPERLY (tickets and all) using the WAD manager.

20. zosh

zosh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2007
    Papua New Guinea
    Installing a channel - by both the HBC installer and a WAD installer - leaves traces all over the system, many generated by the Wii's system itself and in places a WAD uninstaller doesn't even have access to. If you think you can completely conceal a channel installation from Nintendo, pirated or not, you are sorely mistaken.