The name "Switch" sounds a bit ghetto

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by romanaOne, Oct 23, 2016.

1. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    ...or like a shortened form of the Nintendo Bait-and-Switch. It's just a tablet with some doodads that stick on the sides. I mean there is nothing REALLY new, not even a gimmick like a headache-inducing autostereoscopic 3D display. Or shitty stylus-centric gameplay. Maybe they'll have voice control: "Siri, move Link 3 paces to the left."

Let's see how many times they can rebadge and repackage the same dumb games from the late 90s over and over on this console.

Last edited by romanaOne, Oct 23, 2016
    Subtle Demise likes this.

2. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    yeah people like Nintendo classics as well as new Nintendo content. Not everyone, thats fine.

The name is better than Wii. It helps market its concept. I think its fine personally.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Better than the name "Wii U", that just sounds like the onomatopoeia of an ambulance rushing to the hospital.:creep:

Believe me, it could be much worse.

4. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    You can 'switch' between portable and home gameplay. Makes sense to me. More sense than a lot of other console names.

5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    It would have sounded cooler if they named it after the Nvidia Shield, the Nintendo Shield.
    Or how about Nintendo Shield Switch(Sword Switch). Switch between Sword (Nintendo Sword, console mode) and Shield (Nintendo Shield, portable mode).
    If it makes any sense :D

6. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    Now you play with power and Switch your life!

7. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It's descriptive and it's accurate. It's not just a bunch of numbers.

They focused on delivering fun in whatever neat way they can come up with. What could they have done that would have been mind-blowing different? Bring back the power glove? VR+power gloves+neural feedback? While that'd be amazing, you can't get so far ahead of the market that you lose everyone. You want to put your device in that sweet spot between where we are and where we are going to be, where everyone wants in to a degree.

I can't help but think "Switch-kick", but that'll pass as we get used to it.

Tomato Hentai and Logan Pockrus like this.
  8. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Sony Playstation - old school console with normal controller - A good console

Nintendo Switch - old school console with normal controller that can play as handheld - Lack creative.

Talk about double standard.

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    So you're complaining about a lack of gimmicks, while complaining about gimmicks at the same time?

10. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    it's not even a tablet lelelele
    so that's right
    bait: "yey its nintendo tablet, you can use it to watch movies on an airplane and do much better stuff than a tablet, like play nintendo newest games"
    and switch: "the movies are limited to 10 minute videos, it's a proprietary OS, with a very limited and weak browser, you can't even facebook propertly, there is no touchscreen. console is designed to emulate all thoose vc titles not available on the wii\3ds VC store

11. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero

Something new is nice to look forward to even if it turns out disappointing. Gimmicks suck less than nothing new at all, which is the message I'm taking away from the short video. Maybe I missed something, but NX just seems soo routine...and overhyped. I also do not feel much gadget lust, finally having seen it; I don't gotta have it, even if it does suck--I feel like I already have it and do not need another tablet-like thing.

They're counting on a new generation of suckers who have not yet seen their crap, which is more reliable than taking a chance on new ideas.

12. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Like I said, no matter what Nintendo would have done, at least someone would have complained.

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nintendo can't please everyone, and they sure won't bend backwards for everyone either.

What the deuce do people want?

What about the PS Vita? What a good name for a console that died soon after release lol.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Oct 24, 2016
  14. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    it makes sense. like how the hell does x box mean anything lol

15. Iamapirate

Iamapirate GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    I agree. Switch is a terrible name. Should be "Swiitch" :creep:

Xexyz, gamefan5, THEELEMENTKH and 2 others like this.
  16. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    A very large amount of people are whining about how all gimmicks are bad, any kind of innovation detracts from "pure" gameplay, and that what everyone wants from a handheld console is a PlayStation controller with a screen and nothing more. Switch looks like their dream come true.

(Although there are rumors that the JoyCons can operate like Wiimotes so there's that.)

17. TEINDTPA

TEINDTPA Banned

Banned
    Oct 6, 2016
    Mauritius
    Hell
    I agree with that the name is horrible should have been Nintendo Next like i said :D

18. Iamapirate

Iamapirate GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Just call it "Nintendo One" :creep:

19. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Duh it's ghetto, it's the name of a Will Smith song.

It matches up too since Smith doesn't really curse and has such streamlined rap songs, Nintendo is basically like that too.

20. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Ghetto gaming :wub:

Street fights? More like StreetPass. I know this joke applies more to 3DS but bare with me.